Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you always label your quilts? >

Do you always label your quilts?

Do you always label your quilts?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Some of the first few got away without them, but I try to get them on now. I had several without, and one day I did about five to get caught up.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:59 AM

I don't lable my quilts either. Can't put my finger on it either LoriS, a sign of vanity, maybe, I just don't think it is something anyone really wants to see on a quilt that has been made for them.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:25 AM

I only label special gift quilts. But I think it is a good idea to label all of them except charity quilts because charities often do not want them labeled.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:29 AM

I like the idea of preparing a bunch of preprinted labels to have ready. I have two panels in my sewing room. This will be a fun project to do when I don't have a lot of time but want to sew SOMETHING! I'm just starting to put labels on my quilts. One never remembers when something was made.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Along with the preprinted panels available there are books of iron on labels the (2) I've seen at Joanne's were $12.95 each, had over 50 different labels for all kinds of occasions, different sizes & shapes. And, you can use them more than once. You iron them onto fabric then fill in the blanks with micron pigma pens ( or some other permanent fabric pen) you can also go over the design with an ' iron- on transfer pen' to get more uses of the label
Old 11-26-2014, 09:54 AM

Sometimes I fail to label mine but when I do , it is usually hand stitched somewhere and quite often the year is in Roman numerals. My name may just be initials sewn in a corner or wherever. Old quilts have been found with this same method.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 AM

I very rarely label my quilts. In fact, I very rarely keep pictures anymore. I used to do it all the time, but as time goes by I do it less and less. Usually I am finishing it in a hurry and forget about taking the pictures. Same thing for the labels too. It surprised me when a friend of mine told me the quilt I made for her daughter 38 years ago has been used for all of her daughter's children (3) and my friend just re-backed it to save for the next generation. (It was the first quilt I ever made, so that is rather cool.)
Old 11-26-2014, 10:05 AM

I label mine except for charity. I also include my maiden name since my quilts are for my family, not the ex's family.

If someone gave me a quilt, I would want their name and the date on it so that I could have that added memory. For those of you who think your quilts will be consumed in your lifetime, think of all the quilts that are 100 years old. I have a quilted pillow cover that I would love to know who did it. It came from my grandmother's belongings after she died. I have a doll quilt from my childhood that I finally remembered to ask my mother who made that. Luckily she remembered. I guess I get that from my grandmother. She had a china cabinet full of knick-knacks that had been given to her over the years. She put a piece of masking tape on the bottom of each one noting who gave it to her. I find it interesting to see that this little picture was given to her by a schoolmate in 1912 or that bowl was given to her as a wedding gift in June of 1918 by Grandfather's brother who died in November from the flu epidemic. Yes, she used the bowl but years later she labeled it and put in in the cabinet.

I made a quilt for a nephew who got married. I transferred a copy of the wedding invitation onto fabric and sewed that onto the back of the quilt with the label.

For the children, I include their name so they know it was made especially for them.

Painters sign their artwork, why shouldn't quilters?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:36 AM

Some LQS's sell preprinted labels by the yard. Ditto at Quilt Shows. You might find them in Home Sew fliers or in other fliers.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:51 PM

Funny thing is that I've bought stuff for labels - preprinted yardage, stencils, even bothered to do a custom Spoonflower design and got test prints done and they turned out just fine. I have Pigma pens and paint sticks and an embroidery machine so I have tons of options for labels right on hand. But like others have said, I think it feels like vanity to me, so I haven't actually used any of those things. Plus I'm never sure what to put on there...it just seems to go on and on and that seems weird to me too. My name, their name, the date, the location, the event, some slogan or poem... I don't know where to stop and it starts to feel more like a luggage tag than a label! Obviously I don't HAVE to put all that stuff on there, but just trying to figure out what to include and exclude feels tiresome to me so I just stop thinking about it and the quilt goes out unlabeled.

I don't usually sign my artwork either, though. And if I do, it's with a Sanskrit character that represents one of my middle names, not with words, and I try to hide it within the drawing/painting so it's only visible if you really look for it, or I'll put something on the back. Maybe I should start including that little symbol on my quilts instead; I could embroider or draw it somewhere subtle. Not that it'd be helpful to quilt historians, but I don't really think any of my quilts are going to be historically important.

Maybe it's simply that I quilt for fun, and labels just aren't fun for me so I skip that part.