Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you always label your quilts? >

Do you always label your quilts?

Do you always label your quilts?

Old 11-26-2014, 02:56 PM

I never let a quilt leave my house without a label. I use labels printed on my computer so who knows how long the printing will be clear. So far, the labels are holding up well. I have the name of the quilt, the designer, the LAQ if I do not do the quilting, my name, city and state, the name of the person who is receiving the quilt, and date completed. I also add clip art that goes along with the quilt. I really like my labels.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:08 PM

I always label my quilts. It is interesting to look at them later and see how long ago I made that quilt. Time gets away from me. I sew on a label and I use a permanent marking pen to right names in the seem allowance under the binding in all 4 corners. It doesn't show but it's there if I need it.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 PM

An easy way to do a label is to take a square of fabric, fold it in half, making a triangle, pin it in a corner of the quilt and sew it down when you are putting on your binding. Before or after it is on the quilt you can actually fill it out...just in case it is a future gift with no specific recipient in mind, using a Pigma pen (don't forget to heat set). This way you only have one edge to hand sew down.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 PM

I didn't label the ones I made at first, but it has become almost standard procedure now. Sometimes I title the quilt; sometimes not. Usually put it was made by me on such and such date and the name of whoever I made it for. Sometimes I'll add a border around the label.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 PM

Although I always intend to put a label on my quilts it seems the only ones I do put one on are baby quilts. I even have the panel ones and sometimes even start the label just don't follow through with it. I really want to change this so that in 40 years someone can find one of my quilts and know exactly who made it.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:07 AM

I label most of mine - especially if it is a gift. I recently went to a quilt show and was interested in seeing the labels because I always feel mine are so big. I do them on my embroidery machine and the lettering just seems too big and by the time I put information on them they look like a small doll quilt. At the quilt show I was surprised that most of the quilts did not have labels on them. I will keep playing with the font for my labels. People that I give quilts to really like the labels. I always include their name, maybe the name of the quilt, and my name, city and date.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:52 AM

I usually print the label on a fabric you can use through your ink jet printer and treat accordingly. Then I turn down a 1/4 " seam on the top and one side and hand sew to the corner of the quilt, after it has been quilted. THEN I put the binding on over the remaining two sides (bottom and one side) so that it is machine sewn in also. I include lots of info as I can make the printing small and neat on the computer. It includes the name of the quilt, the recipient, why I made it for this individual, my name and the date, at the very minimum.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I only label special gift quilts. But I think it is a good idea to label all of them except charity quilts because charities often do not want them labeled.
Most of my quilts are for charity so I don't label those but I do label gifts.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:32 AM

I put a label on everything I do. It is to remember me. For Vet quilts I just put a small one on to Thank them for their service.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 AM

Always and try to personalize them to recipient!. Mostly family quilts so far but a few friends.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500306[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500307[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500308[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500309[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500310[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bills-quilt-label.jpg   candys-quilt-label.jpg   cassandra4-2-.jpg   christian5-label.jpg   margies-quilt-label.jpg