Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever feel like your constantly changing your sewing room around? >

Do you ever feel like your constantly changing your sewing room around?

Do you ever feel like your constantly changing your sewing room around?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM

Yeah I agree with lots of these comments!

There was someone on here that made a ... 'vow'? to herself to only use fabric that she already had in her stash for ONE year. She had a stash similar to yours.... huggggggee!

I can't speak much, I ended up giving away six.... 60 Gallon tote boxes of fabric to a local charity sew group. Yup, that's right.... TWO CAR LOADS OF FABRIC.... and the nice boxes too. lol. Boy did that feel good.

Tell you what.... put on a pot of coffee and the whole group of us will be right OVER to help you destash! lol.

Do we all get this way or what? lol!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I remodeled my sewing room about a year ago. I've been moving things around since - I think I finally hit on a combination I like. It took a while of living and working in it to settle in and figure out where things felt right.
Deplaylady, that is so right. I spent almost 6 months researching, googling sewing room pictures, measuring, etc. Before I finally made up my mind and bought/installed everything in my sew room. What a difference. Then I started changing a few things, 'cause you figure out what works for you .... as you go along. Or... at least I did...
Old 10-26-2011, 02:50 PM

Everyone says that we have to much fabrics if we can't get around in our rooms. Not so. I keep the household books, which means file space. I have books I've read over and over again and will not give away. I have a computer, tv, cd player, shredder and tools for my own use. Two dogs which seem to always want to play in my space and a husband who is forever wanting to talk or watch what is up. If I had room for a couch the dogs and hubby would be sitting there. Plus all the stuff for sewing. Sewing machine, serger, cutting table, ironing space, design wall and bookcases for books. Sewing and otherwise. It all adds up.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:52 PM

NO, cause I don't have a room....I have a little space in the bedroom and use the dining room table to do the actual quilting.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by catray
Everyone says that we have to much fabrics if we can't get around in our rooms. Not so. I keep the household books, which means file space. I have books I've read over and over again and will not give away. I have a computer, tv, cd player, shredder and tools for my own use. Two dogs which seem to always want to play in my space and a husband who is forever wanting to talk or watch what is up. If I had room for a couch the dogs and hubby would be sitting there. Plus all the stuff for sewing. Sewing machine, serger, cutting table, ironing space, design wall and bookcases for books. Sewing and otherwise. It all adds up.
Catray... I'd love to see a picture of your space and how you've set it up/use it. So many of us have 'dual' purpose sew rooms.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM

Don't know how to get pictures from camera to computer and so on. Would ask hubby but he is out of town on emergency. Everything is important to me. I suppose I could let hubby do the books but would he would let it lapse. I could lose the computer and parts, but how would I order things online. Don't need tv but I need music. Played violin for 8 years. Have to have fabric because even at a young age I was sewing and doing embroidery. Crocheted later on but never learned to knit. Am so very lefthanded and no one could teach me. Maybe thats why using the computer, except for basic things is beyond me. Dogs are hubbys idea, but you know how it is. I take care of them and stay at home with them when hubby is gone. Best of company ever.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 PM

I finally got my sewing room the way I like. The stash is getting smaller since I just finished 7 quilts in 2 months
Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doreen
I finally got my sewing room the way I like. The stash is getting smaller since I just finished 7 quilts in 2 months
Doreen.... wow.. 7? Good going. You know, all my problems would be solved if I'd just sew up 7 quilts too.

That's it. I declare WAR on my own stash!

(Right now, I have two 60 gallon totes filled with fancy home dec fabric samples... I have to make 200 cloth purse/bags for a ladies homeless/halfway house shelter project.) Getting those two huge plastic totes out of my sewing room will help tremendously too.

Don't we all to alot of projects and things? It's so fun!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:51 PM

I do tend to reorganize more than I should. Seems that my taste in things keeps changing lately.