Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have an 'Eye for Color'? >

Do you have an 'Eye for Color'?

Do you have an 'Eye for Color'?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Gee, I wonder if this is why I have done so many scrappy quilts. I just throw everything together so that NOTHING stands out. Although I did an all blue Log Cabin, and a tan and brown Log Cabin that came out quite well.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 AM

That's what I do, find a "focus" fabric then choose coordinating colors from that piece.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If I am stuck when picking out colours, I use the colour dots from the selvage to help. The manufacturer puts the dots along the selvage of every colour that is printed in the fabric and you can't go wrong if you choose fabrics that match the dots. I usually try to pick a variety of small and larger scale prints in those colours to add some variety to the quilt top but sometimes I just go with blenders or solids too.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM

I don't know if it my love of colors or maybe because I also paint but I have never had a problem putting colors together. My DM made beautiful hand made quilts but she had so much trouble with colors so it took her forever to put her fabrics together for a quilt. She always worked it out but more than once I have seen her take a top apart and redo because she did not like the colors she used.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 AM

If I get really stuck I find a nephew to take with me. Since being very young they ate both excellent at colours.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 AM

I have no sense of color or whether something is medium, light or dark. Usually I end up with all of my fabrics in exactly the same tone and the finished product ends up losing the pattern. I tried painting once and despite having a choice of and using bright colors, my finished product actually ended up a muddy gray-brown. Given my limitations, I am so very thankful when people post photos of their lovely quilts because then I have a starting point for the colors of my own quilt.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Another idea for choosing colors is to pick a fat quarter that has the colors you want to use - then coordinate the rest of the fabric to the fat quarter. I think a person can learn how to pick colors - I spend a lot of time in quilt shops watching what other people choose and many times will ask them why they made that particular choice. One can always learn something.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM

I saw a helpful video (don't ask me where but I think on her website) by Jenny Beyer that was very helpful. I think practice helps. There is even a color test that you can take on the computer where they ask you to arrange colors in a sequence (again, don't ask me where I saw and did it). That was an eye-opener. My excuse was that the monitors didn't always show true colors! The wheel is helpful as well and photos and then put on computer is really helpful to me.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM

Go to a hardware store and get some of those paint color strips. Get the ones that have several shades on each strip. Then just play with them. Look at them in different light, outside on a sunny day, an overcast day, inside by the windows at night under house lights. Then when you have some combinations you like go pick out fabric. And it is really all about what looks good to you.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
This was posted by someone in the last few months...

http://design-seeds.com/index.php/search
Excellent site as I am not so good with putting colors together. The paint store color strips are good also...T
Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
You can get books on color theory...try your local library.

I used to have some trouble with putting colors together. But I started working in a LQS 5 years ago, and have grown in this area by observing my employer (who is an expert). I like to begin with a focus fabric, and then choose other fabrics to go with it. The selvedge dots help, but it really takes practice.
This is how I do it too. I always start with the focus fabric and try to match the colors in it. No good at remember the colors I have at home. I try to keep alot of choices of blenders and such. I have so many fabrics I can usually find something to match. Otherwise I will save for a scrappy.