Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have an 'Eye for Color'? >

Do you have an 'Eye for Color'?

Do you have an 'Eye for Color'?

Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM

I love color, well most all color, except orange/browns. I think there are two topics here: color and value. I've read many books on color, worked in watercolor. I've developed "my color/value voice" and people can pick out my quilts by the color/value. I've picked out colors by the registration marks, color wheels, focus fabrics.

One method I've used is to cut out pictures I like from magazines and keep a binder of this info. I'll pick a "moody" picture, one that strikes a mood, it might be happy or sad, doesn't matter, just has a mood. Then pick out the colors from that picture. I make sure there is a variety of values too. Then I hunt fabric from these colors and attached 1/2 x 2 inch pieces around the edge of the picture. To me 100 different fabrics are more interesting than 5, so I include all fabrics that are remotely close. Here's an example:[ATTACH=CONFIG]412074[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-slide-show_0010.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM

I don't know if I have an eye for color cause it takes me longer to choose the fabrics sometimes then to make the quilt. Here's an interesting video that I go to often when I"m stuck for color choices.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9xV73VpccA
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM

No, I never can pick out colors that go well together. But now, I have discovered LOW VOLUME QUILTS! It is no longer wrong to have everything the same! I am so relieved! If my quilts are all beige, as long as I like it, it's RIGHT! HA!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Along with using the dots on the fabric selvedge, when selecting fabrics for a quilt, I usually find my focus/primary fabric first. Then will pick subordinate colors I think work. I try to take the bolts and lay them out in proportion to how they will be viewed in the quilt. Most of the bolt of focus fabric; 1/2 of next primary fabric on top/below that; 1/3 of next fabric and so on. Sometimes I'll end up changing the focus fabric; sometimes some of the subordinate fabrics. But I find that layering the bolts with the approximate proportions exposed helps me see what does/does not work together.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM

I'm actually very good at it. I choose quickly and don't usually belabor over my choices. Understanding the basics of how the color wheel works helps but i never really use it. I guess it comes naturally.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 PM

Maybe I read too much into it but it sounds like the people at the LQS pick one combination and you feel you need to go with it. I could spend 45 minutes at a quilt shop pulling fabric bolts off the shelf and auditioning different fabrics. When suggestions are given, I either take them or politely explain why it doesn't work for me. They are there to help so work at the shop a bit to figure out how to put fabrics together and don't jump at their first suggestion.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM

You may be like me - partially color blind. Here are a few web sites that give you free color blind tests.

http://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20test.htm

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp

http://www.colors-4life.com/color-blind-test.html

Looking at the sample test on the second link, I verify that I have 'red/green' color blindness. If I really, really strain to see the numbers in the last two circles, I can sort of see them. But it is very difficult.

Please note that the links give examples of the color blind tests. There are more tests done when you go to an opthamologist for an eye exam AND your color blindness is tested.

My solution is to make quilts with no more than 4 fabrics. It seems to work for me.

By the way, I didn't know I had any color deficiency until I was 20. I applied for a job where good color vision was a requirement, and couldn't pass the color test. I do see color, just not the way other people do.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM

and i was just going to ask if you think you may be partially color blind! haha. i'm new to quilting and thought the eye came with quilting experience. it does to a certain extent, but i agree that some have the eye and some just don't. my suggestion is to find someone at your lqs that knows your tastes and always go to that person for color help. i have my "person" at my lqs and she's fabulous - she often knows what i want before i do and i've never been steered wrong by her. i once relied on someone for help because of their quilting experience and i was sorry when i got home and really looked at the fabrics again. you need a "person".
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If one has some types of color blindness, one doesn't perceive colors the same as most people do.

If one has cataracts, that can distort how colors look.

Also, different lighting can affect how a color looks
I wish fabric stores would have a "true light" spot where an Ott light can be used to view the fabric. So many stores, including the big chains are dim. I find I'm going to the window to see the fabric in the natural daylight. It makes a difference.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 AM

I don't really have a problem with color. It is value that gives me headaches. I think that can be learned with time, though, and I'm working on it.