Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have an 'Eye for Color'? >

Do you have an 'Eye for Color'?

Do you have an 'Eye for Color'?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by bunbytes View Post
I wish fabric stores would have a "true light" spot where an Ott light can be used to view the fabric. So many stores, including the big chains are dim. I find I'm going to the window to see the fabric in the natural daylight. It makes a difference.
The shop where I work is in an 1870 cottage with lots of windows. Even then, sometimes customers will take fabric out on the porch to view it in daylight. It does make a huge difference!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Many have told me I have a great eye for color matching. I am not sure sometimes. I think it might be the fact that I have so much material that it is easy for me to match colors. LOL
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 AM

I always use Joen Wolfrom's Ultimate 3-in-1 Color Tool to pick fabrics. It's amazing to find that colors that I thought would be in the same family are actually different.

It's so helpful in that it lets you know which color families are monochromatic, complementary, analogous, split-complementary, and triadic. Those words mean nothing to me, but it lets me know which color families will go well together.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-3---1...n-1+color+tool
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 AM

If you would like to learn how to pick colors, look for a quilter who has a good eye for color. Ask if you can go on fabric shopping together and show/tell you how she picks colors. I have done this with several people and it seems to really help them feel more confident of their own abilities. We talk about colors, tones, size and shapes of patterns. I encourage them to trust themselves...don't substitute my opinion for yours. I tell them you'll know it when you see the right combination. Win win for everyone...you become more confident about your color choices and your friend feels great because someone has noticed their skill.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 AM

If you really question if a color is right, stack the colors together then look at them through the eye of a camera. If one is not good it will jump out at you. Good Luck
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 AM

So long as you like it, I don't think there is a problem. Friends and acquaintances tell me I have an eye for colour but even they turn their noses up at some of mty choices until they've seen the finished article. I really think that all you need it a bit of confidence and it all falls together.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 AM

I am pretty good at matching colors...do not usually just buy a collection. I start with a main color then build on that. Sometimes my main color becomes an added color, as a new focus fabric starts to shine! So...I am glad to excell at something!!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 AM

I think it takes some time to understand the undertones of fabric, like a green/blue vs. a blue/green. But you'll get it! It just takes a lot of pulling bolts off the shelves and putting them together to see what works. Sometimes we're stumped because a store just doesn't have what we need, so we think we don't have the ability to match colors, when in reality, that perfect color may just be at the next store! But at the end of the day, if YOU LIKE IT, it's a perfect choice!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 AM

I have a good eye for color, but where I run into problems is composition. Getting everything arranged, as I saw in many of the show quilts, really takes an artist eye.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the link PaperPrincess. And everyone else never thought about the color dots on the selvage. Love this board. If there are any beginners and I've met a couple in the last month, I refer them to this Board. Most of the time this is never "TOO MUCH INFORMATION".