Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have multiple projects going or one at a time?

I like to have multiple projects going. That way if I am getting bored with one and need a break, there is something else I can do. I have 3 projects going on right now. A quilt top that is ready for me to get the backing pieced, then it's ready for basting and FMQing. I also have blocks cut out for another lap quilt. And I started working on a tote tonight.

I don't think I would have more than 3 or 4 projects going at the same time though. One thing I don't want are UFO's, and so far I have avoided that. So I like the variety, but it needs to be manageable. :-)
    Dawn

I have 4 active projects going right now. One is a bargello in purples that is 1/4 sewn together. I have a quilt that I designed myself that I'm anxious to get back to. I'm spending most of my time on a wedding quilt that I'm making for a customer...it's a queen. Then there's the graduation quilt for my oldest granddaughter that is cut out, waiting to be sewn together. The last two paragraphs from Helen S. fit me to a "T" except for the sewing machine problem. I had to clean the bathrooms and vacuum today, then get food ready for a church dinner. DH will be busy rounding up cattle tomorrow, so maybe I'll get something done in my sewing shed!

Blog Entries
    I can't count how many projects I have going. Between crochet and quilting I have too many to count.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    When I started out quilting about 3 years ago I wouldn't start a new top until I finished the one I was working on. But, that didn't last long. Now I have numerous ones in the works. I have English Paper Piecing for traveling, a quilt that needs applique on the borders (hand work at night) and several tops in the making. If I get bored with one, I go to another. I found my work turns out better now since I'm not hurrying to get the current quilt done so I can move on. Now I have choices to fit my mood and love it!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
    Have a few going but like to try to get one done before starting another one. Like to see the finished project.
    That's how I am. I like to finish one before I move on to the next one (ADHD, anyone? LOL!). But I guess it depends on what you mean by "going on". I have numerous in the planning stage (in my mind), a bunch of fabric bought with a very loose idea as to what I'll do with it, one at the LA'er, one waiting for a back & two waiting for borders. OK... it looks like I lied. I do have several things going on at once. But only one that I'm actively working on at one time (like laying on my ironing board active).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I have several going on right now. I'm always working on multiple projects.

In other crafts like knitting and counted cross stitch I usually do have multiple projects going but in quilting I don't. Right now I am cutting fabrics for my next project. But I am also "practicing" machine quilting with my new machine so I can be quilting as well as piecing quilts at the same time.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    Does that count the two I put away for a while because I am sick of them?

Always have multiple projects in the works, some days I want to hand quilt, some days I want to choose colors and cut pieces, or run them through the sewing machine.

As a new quilter I'd been really careful not to add to my knitting UFOs and had never started a new project until I'd finished the current one. However I got really fed up of permanently appliquing my large Edyta Sitar quilt to the point I wasn't going near it for days. Fortunately I've 'let go' a little and took time out to make a Two Hour (I wish!!) Tulip bag, which I finished and it's cheered me up no end!
    NOTE TO SELF: Relax a little!
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Normally I only work on one project because I don't have the room otherwise, but this year I'm working on two BOM's and I'm making toddler quilts for great grandchildren and having fun in between with other little projects. I am presently working on a toddler quilt for a 4 yr old girl & I've started with a pinwheel & am designing my way out. Hope to have the top done soon so I can get it done before we meet her.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I try to do one at a time but right now I'm working on two. . I started cutting out fabric for a pattern I saw on Missouri Star and decided I needed more colors. This one will have to wait for the weekend trip to the fabric store. It's so frustrating not having a fabric shop close. So in the meantime, I started on another one.

Always more than one going and planning stages for something else to start.

I usually have multiple projects going too, in various stages and of various complexities. I try to only have one "tricky piecing" quilt top going at a time, I'll offset that with a simpler blocky quilt or strip quilt, and then there's always at least one or two finished tops waiting to be basted, or that are basted waiting to be quilted, or are quilted waiting for binding. I like having lots of options when I walk into my sewing room. And naturally there's always something on the design wall and on my graph paper being created...

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't know what to do if I only had one project going at a time! Have two quilt tops ready to be quilted, practicing with Frank (the new machine), piecing a Crazy Diamonds and a pattern of my own devising (more complicated, which is why I am also doing Crazy Diamonds!), and hand quilting another one. (Err... and weaving a shawl, and making a rug, and a few other things).

I really need to finish some of these things!
    Shay

I have several projects going at the same time. I have 15 Art Bins I keep WIPs in and right now I think there are only 3 empty boxes. One of the double deep boxes has two twin size quilts in it though.

Blog Entries
    I try to do one at a time; but you all know how that works. My mind is always working ahead on the next project. I usually will make several quilttops, then I will long arm quilt them one after the other. This past week I finished up all my UFOs (a half dozen) and am now ready to forge ahead on a new batch. When I have more than one going at a time, they are in different phases of construction. I just finished a bunch of squares, and am waiting for the backing fabric to arrive; then I will assemble it. In the meantime I am making pillowcases for a charity for Christmas giving. Am also waiting for a kit from QFK to add to the quilts I already made.

On.. I always have more than one project. Somedays I want to cut, others I want to sew pieces and then others I want to quilt. I have many projects for gifts that have a hard deadline and others I can do when I want to get them done. (usually quilts for me.) This past month I finished a full quilt and two baby quilts and a vacation. (Husband would not let me bring my sewing machine. I tried!) I picked up two more projects for Christmas and new project for husband. so My project list has grown.

I usually work on only 1 at a time. I get too confused as what goes where if I work on more than one at time. After I finished one top than I put it in the UFO pile to be quilted/finished later when I am in the mood.

Yes, I always have several projects going at one time. I have to let me projects talk to me. When I am working on one project, sometimes I get ideas for another on going project. I love to have projects that I can take with me if I know I am going on a road trip and can do hand work.
    Believe, it can be done!

Power Poster
    Of course I have multiple projects going on at the same time. I just got home a month ago from a spinal cord injury and 3 months of rehab learning to walk again. I had my husband bring quilting magazines for me to help pass the time, but now that I'm home I'm catching up on aBOM project, cutting out fabric for a couple or three Bow Tucks bags, a dress for my granddaughter, a tree skirt and stockings waiting in the wings, etc., etc.,. Am I bored? Seldom, but if one project isn't working out quite right, I just pick up another one, especially since it may be a while before I can sandwich some of those UFO's.

Blog Entries
    Yes I do. Right now I have 6 large quilts to quilt, two baby quilts, table runners, place mats, coasters, etc. I am getting ready for our annual Craft Sale, so I have lots of things going on. But I do that all the time, that is a perfect way of not getting bored and expending my knowledge.
    TxCaRose

I always have multiple projects going! Usually about 7 or 8.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I am working on one quilt at the time but....... making 5 or 6 tops and then put batting and backs on and quilt and bind.
    Works fine for me. Love to look at my stack of finished quilts before they go to charity.

At last count, I had 38 projects in process and I've added some more since then. I actually work on two or three at a time and when finished, there are more waiting--lurking--in my ArtBin box stacks.
    SandyQuilter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast