Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Have a System ? >

Do You Have a System ?

Do You Have a System ?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 AM

I made a folder called QUILTING in the Favorites Column on my PC. I put everything in there that I want to save, even some picture ideas from this board.

Originally Posted by plainpat
People say this or that quilt is "on their list".Do
you all keep a written list or ? I sure need a system,
but hate to start another notebook of lists.Don't knw how to do that on my MacBook. There are pics of quilts etc ,notes saved here & there....it's a mess.Do you have a system to keep notes & pics together?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 AM

I have a large 3 ring notebook and have divided into sections with dividers labeled: Information (how to resize stuff, quilt sizes, etc., Quilt Patterns, Blocks Designs (how to make a specific block), Projects (things other than quilts), and Applique. On the dividers I write down what is in that section on post-its. I know...I'm a micro manager, but this is the only way I can find what I want, when I want it. Also being a retired teacher causes me to organize this way.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 AM

I save them to my computer in a folder called Projects. When I feel like starting a new project I go through the folder and do whichever one suits me at the time, or I go to the library, on line, or to a magazine and choose from there. It's really in "how I feel at the time" mode...the folder just seems to jog my memory :) :)
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
I copy the picture of quilts I like and paste them in a word document labeled Quilts in my computer. Then when I need inspiration I go through that document. I even talk picture of quilts at shows, shops, etc. and add them to this document.
This is how I do it as well.
There are also plenty of free patterns out there for anyone to download. I keep these in a file called 'pieced patterns'.
On this site if someone has posted and interesting quilt that inspires me then I bookmark that post.
Saving them all on the computer helps me to attempt to keep them organized.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 AM

Have a note book titled "My Quilting Bucket List" Just started it and have only one quilt in there. It is a BEAUTIFUL block quilt located at http:///www.debbiemumm.com. It's free on her website.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 AM

Yes, I have a list. I have fabric specifically purchased for a particular pattern and don't want to forget, or I bought a pattern, acquired, or printed out one that may get lost or forgotten in a pile, etc.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 AM

When I cleared up my sewing room last, I place all my WIPs in the same area. I think that will take me at least 2 years to finish.

All I have to do is look at one of the many books and magazines I have for ideas...but for right now I have enough going.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 AM

Location: Moved from New Orleans to Port Neches, TX June 2014

2 words--- FLASH DRIVE :thumbup:
Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 AM

I keep a list in a folder on my computer. That way I have pics and any info in one place. I also don't have to keep up with scraps of paper.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
People say this or that quilt is "on their list".Do
you all keep a written list or ? I sure need a system,
but hate to start another notebook of lists.Don't knw how to do that on my MacBook. There are pics of quilts etc ,notes saved here & there....it's a mess.Do you have a system to keep notes & pics together?
I do have a notebook where I write items that I plan to make. For instance, when I buy a kit or buy fabric for a certain pattern, then I write that in my notebook so that I remember what I have in my stash and what I am planning to make. Otherwise I would never remember what I have and what I had planned to do with the fabric.