Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have what it takes to be a young modern quilter? >

Do you have what it takes to be a young modern quilter?

Do you have what it takes to be a young modern quilter?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Karen McTavish is sleeved - both arms. She keeps them covered when she teaches/lectures but if you ask, she will show them to you. Beautiful!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Pam

I saw her tatoos in a long arm magazine I borrowed from a friend. She really has a very interestng life story. The tatoos are very pretty and are actually taken from some feathers that she did on a quilt. Fine for her, but not my cup of tea.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM

Some of those are cool. I have been thinking of adding another tattoo that was sewing related. I was thinking of a friendship star block on the left side of my chest. I have three others. My Taurus zodiac sign on my left arm, and Egyptian Ankh on my right arm and a dragon on the right side of my back.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:38 PM

I don't like unnecessary pain. I wonder what all of those tatoos will look like when the skin starts to slide, meaning when you get older around 60 and 70.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by golfer
I don't like unnecessary pain. I wonder what all of those tatoos will look like when the skin starts to slide, meaning when you get older around 60 and 70.
Pain depends on where you get your tat. I worked in a nursing home as a nurses aid. My job was to give 50 showers a day, so I seen a lot of peoples tattoos. They don't wrinkle like you would think.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish
Originally Posted by golfer
Pain depends on where you get your tat. I worked in a nursing home as a nurses aid. My job was to give 50 showers a day, so I seen a lot of peoples tattoos. They don't wrinkle like you would think.
I got my first tat at 17. It's still right where it was to start with and that was over 30 years ago. Some of them have faded really bad because I'm allergic to some of the inks and my skin rejects it.

As for pain, it really depends on where you get them.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Pam

My DH's have faded, too. The red is completely gone, but the area is still raised, I quess he was allergic to the dyes. The first one he got was kind of pretty, but then he got the ugliest USMC one that I have ever seen. There are tons of nice ones, why he wanted that one is beyond me. Oh well, he did surprise me with that one, LOL.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

I would probably have some if I was not TERRIFIED of needles (and I quilt :roll: )

I cut the top of my finger off earlier this year and I refused to go to the emergency room to get it sewn back on(needles). I put that sucker back on myself and bandaged it up real good and a month later I was good to go!!

But a lot of my friends have them including my wife and daughter. My wife is 56 now but she got hers at 45 (a rose on a certain area that shall remain nameless........:mrgreen: ) and my daughter has one on her lower back at her waist line.

My daughters is really sweet looking, it is Von Dutch style Pinstripe job (Von Dutch was one of the best pinstrippers in the world!!) and she knew I would not be too upset with her when she showed me. But she promised me that it is the only one she is getting because of the field she is going into (pharmacological).

But it seems like it is getting very popular to have tats now. I never judge a book by its cover so it does not change my feelings towards anyone who has them. I always look at whats on the inside first before making any judgments.

Billy
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 AM

I have 1, but it's not craft related and no one can see it but hubby. I would get another one if only it wasn't so painful (I'd rather have natural childbirth again!!!!) I don't see anything wrong with tats, but maybe because I'm younger.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Pam

My step son has so many he cannot get a job. A huge waste of money and talent, his problem to deal with, I guess. He is a great guy but even though a prospective employer may be able to look underneath the top layer I am sure the "boss" is worried about public perception.