Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you hide >

Do you hide

Do you hide

Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I don't understand when someone posts 'My DH let me'. HUH?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't understand when someone posts 'My DH let me'. HUH?
Thee and me, Onebyone! This is the 21st century, for goodness sake. I ran for school board several years ago and when we were placing yard signs, it astounded me that some women whom I knew supported me, had to ask their husband's permission to display a sign. I lost the election, but I learned so much about 21st century husband/wife relationships that I am still appalled. froggyintexas
Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
I don't "hide" mine but I don't flaunt it either. I was at a quilt store one time when a whole bunch of women were checking out and they were talking about this. One said that she always wrote "WalMart" in her checkbook when she wrote a check for fabric at a quilt store so that her DH did not see it. LOL
That's a good one. Never thought of that. LOL I don't hide, but I don't flaunt either.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:29 AM

Hide it???? Oh my, no!! I have to take it out of the bag and show it off! My husband enjoys the beautiful and different fabrics I find almost as much as I do!!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I am curious about your husbands...do they really know every article of clothing you have or every piece of fabric? If you were to bring it home, put it with your other clothes, shoes, fabric, patterns, would he be able to walk in there, pick it out and say, "Aha, I see you've bought something new!" ????

If so, amazing. I think I'd like a little less "overzealous husband." I think he should get his own hobbies/interests and maybe not have so much time to inspect yours.
Had an "overzealous" boyfriend once....his only hobby was me....I found myself hiding things to avoid the scrutiny. Talk about a nightmare......that relationship didn't last long.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:52 AM

I could never do that to my DH. He doesn't care how much I buy but we have always been honest with each other on how we spend our money.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
My DH & I go to the grocery store together almost every time, unless he happens to be out and about and picks up a few things. Otherwise we have to have lists and things get forgotten. Between the two of us we usually remember everything we need.

He WOULD notice if I had new clothes, mostly because I HATE clothes shopping and tend to wear things until they're rags. Buying new clothes is something I do rarely, and I do it in bulk. I find pants that fit well and buy five identical pairs and then when I get home I toss the five pair I bought last time that are now all tattery. Ditto for shirts, socks...everything. So when *I* go clothes shopping, I'm often replacing a significant percentage of my small wardrobe and I bring in the motherlode and then there's a matching motherlode being hauled back out. That's enough activity that he'll notice! (Plus I'm usually grousing about how much things cost... LOL)

That reminds me, sigh. I'm running out of tee shirts. Time to go find one that fits and buy twenty of them!
This one made me laugh! At least you don't waste a lot of time shopping. I heard of one person here in our town who has literally boxes and boxes of unused shoes in her closet (with the tags still on). It apparently is this woman's hobby--to shop. (A person who cleaned her house told me about this person--who I don't know at all--). Up until that time, i didn't really think that particular affliction affected people here in Poland so much. I used to enjoy shopping until we moved to Poland in 1994. Now, I've begun to dislike it as a time-consuming, money drain. I've really begun shopping only for things we need--not much browsing. I have enough clothes to cut up (purchased at about 33cents to 66cents each) that I really don't even need to go thrift store shopping!
Old 05-29-2015, 01:34 PM

I don't have to hide fabric - my wife's taste in quilt colors is completely different than mine, so she rarely "steals" from me.

This thread reminds me of a party my wife and I went to about thirty years ago, when we were engaged. It was at a married friend's apartment. After the party, my wife told me that my friend's wife took her aside and gave her some "marriage tips." One of them was to carry a red felt-tip pen (a Flair) in her purse. This was used when she would buy a dress; she would write "50% off" on the tag before bringing it into the house. We found this quite amusing.

Tate
Old 05-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
I ran for school board several years ago and when we were placing yard signs, it astounded me that some women whom I knew supported me, had to ask their husband's permission to display a sign. froggyintexas
I wouldn't do something like that without checking with my husband first, just as I would expect him to check with me before doing something that reflected on me as well as on himself. If there were some reason he didn't want a sign displayed, that would be more important to me than showing support for a school board candidate.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:59 PM

I don't hide purchases either. Only person I have hidden fabric from is my twin. Sounds mean but she goes through periods of copying, quite blatantly things that I do, buy, make and after a while it becomes wearisome and irritating. I eventually had to have strong words because if I make or buy something it's to suit me, the family, the house etc and I just get so annoyed because we are not identical in look, habit or nature. We've never really ever fallen out but came close a couple years ago when she went to buy the same furniture for her lounge as me. I cornered her hubby and told him straight. She got her new furniture but different to mine. That was one copy too far!