Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you keep the pattern after you finish your quilt?

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    My problem is I would get rid of them and then I need that pattern!LOL But then with the invention of the internet one can find the pattern (not the shortcuts or tips that you wrote on the pattern tho !LOL) and have it handy, the library,family, friends who have patterns or neighbors as well. I have made several large binder notebooks with the plastic sleeve in each binder with patterns that I have used and how useful- This is a decision that one has to make themselves. I also have a large to do folder that I have to decide if I am really gonna make that (I put them in and go back through it in a week to decide yes or no).
    IF I decide I don't plan on making that pattern I have a recipe box with cards in them that I put where I got the pattern (what site and their Http address) then the tips are also written on it. On the back of the card I list the material used and if I have scraps leftover those are stapled to it as well so I know for the next time, with a plastic sleeve that I have made to fit the box so the material doesn't fall off .. DH says this system cuts down on my paper clutter in the sewing room. So far this has worked for me...
    Last edited by Caswews; 05-16-2013 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling .. durned keyboard !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I keep mine as I may want to make more than one. I have never made two of the same but now I have the fabric I want to make lap quilts from two I made years ago, however I can't find where I put them.

If I am going to make them or think I will again, I keep mine. Then I take the rest to my guild.
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Most of my quilt patterns were giveaways except for a few, but most of the time I see something that triggers an idea and I re design or use it as inspiration so yes I save them. When I first got EQ I didn't like it much but use it more now for making my own interpretations of somethng I see or like so they are saved in that program.
    pat design

I pass them on. This is what quitting friends do. Onward and upward, is what I say. I hate clutter..plus I just don't have the room. Other than a few traditional quilts I rarely make the same quilt twice.

Yes, guess I am a hoarder compared to what has been written. I just picked up a quilt magazine that someone had given to our local "give away" came home and made a quilt out of it. I changed the fabric but it is a beautiful quilt to be given to QOV. I have binders full of ideas. I may not make them all, couldn't live that long, but I always have something to look through for inspiration. I keep all my magazines that have items in it to make. Eventually I give some away or donate to our guilds "second hand treasures" to be sold at our quilt show.

Blog Entries
    I have a 3-ring-binder that I use for pictures and patterns. This way I can go back and look for it if need be. I call it "I made it." I just use clear plastic pages to hold the pattern and picture.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

I always keep mine. I just cant let go.

Power Poster
    I keep them in a photo album with my quilt pictures.
    SueDor

Blog Entries
    I have not made too many quilts yet but after I read a suggestion here on the board, I have started a quilt binder of the quilts I make. The binder contains plastic sleeves containing the pattern, swatches of the material I use in a quilt, and photos.

However, if you don't plan to make the pattern again, it might not be worth the trouble of saving... but I would definitely find a place/person to donate them.

Blog Entries
    I give most of my quilts away, so I take a picture of every quilt to keep in my scrapbook. I have another scrapbook with the drawings - or EQ7 printouts of the patterns. I have made several of my original quilts a 2nd, 3rd and 4th time - in different colors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2