Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep the pattern after you finish your quilt? >

Do you keep the pattern after you finish your quilt?

Do you keep the pattern after you finish your quilt?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

There are very few patterns that I would want to make more than one or two times. You are pretty much going to find anything you want in the computer. I would see if some church quilting group might use them. Get them out of the way and make room for something else.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
I I really like it I would probably scan and save on the computer or flash drive...I have tons of old magazines the I will take to the local guild after I scan...
Actually, that's considered a copyright infringement. You buy a copy (magazine or pattern), and you can use it, sell it, or give it away. Keeping a copy and giving/selling the original is actually not kosher.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 AM

There have been times when I had a ceremonial fire in the outdoor grill, to celebrate finishing a pattern that seemed way too hard for the end result.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:37 AM

I have binders full of quilt patterns I know I'll never be able to around to doing. But they are sure fun to look at and put on my "some day" list.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I would scan them and file them into the computer with notes. You can put them into an album such as. Log Cabin patterns, baby quilts, wedding rings, Susie's Christmas, Benjamin's Bar Mitzvah, Mug rugs, table runners, Jamie's christening. If anyone asks for a pattern, you might have and as AUQuilter suggested can pay it forward. I would include ALL notes, that way is something doesn't turn out right no one can say you didn't put a step in. Like some people when they pass down a recipe but leave an ingredient or step out so it "Just doesn't taste like you made it". That is just mean. Every pattern I have is in my computer and on a jump drive (also know by other names) I carry with me. I have the paper pattern to work off and follow also.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:37 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

My problem is I would get rid of them and then I need that pattern!LOL But then with the invention of the internet one can find the pattern (not the shortcuts or tips that you wrote on the pattern tho !LOL) and have it handy, the library,family, friends who have patterns or neighbors as well. I have made several large binder notebooks with the plastic sleeve in each binder with patterns that I have used and how useful- This is a decision that one has to make themselves. I also have a large to do folder that I have to decide if I am really gonna make that (I put them in and go back through it in a week to decide yes or no).
IF I decide I don't plan on making that pattern I have a recipe box with cards in them that I put where I got the pattern (what site and their Http address) then the tips are also written on it. On the back of the card I list the material used and if I have scraps leftover those are stapled to it as well so I know for the next time, with a plastic sleeve that I have made to fit the box so the material doesn't fall off .. DH says this system cuts down on my paper clutter in the sewing room. So far this has worked for me...

Last edited by Caswews; 05-16-2013 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling .. durned keyboard !LOL
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 AM

I keep mine as I may want to make more than one. I have never made two of the same but now I have the fabric I want to make lap quilts from two I made years ago, however I can't find where I put them.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 AM

If I am going to make them or think I will again, I keep mine. Then I take the rest to my guild.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Most of my quilt patterns were giveaways except for a few, but most of the time I see something that triggers an idea and I re design or use it as inspiration so yes I save them. When I first got EQ I didn't like it much but use it more now for making my own interpretations of somethng I see or like so they are saved in that program.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 PM

I pass them on. This is what quitting friends do. Onward and upward, is what I say. I hate clutter..plus I just don't have the room. Other than a few traditional quilts I rarely make the same quilt twice.