Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a quilt journal??

Yes, I do. I got a quilt journal book a number of years ago. I keep photo, name of quilt, pattern name, size, who it's for and why. Also if it has won any awards. Not very detailed compared to a lot of you, but it reminds me of all I've done. Hopefully, it will be a record for my GKs & GGKs. One DD is a quilter, so she knows what I've made--I bounce ideas off her, she usually has good suggestions. And she also layers them for me.

I did Counted Xstitch and needlepoint for years & kept a journal of all those projects. Hmm,I wonder what happened to it.

Blog Entries
    I've tried but must admit I've fallen behind. I've taken pics and saved on hard drive but really need to print them out and write the info before I forget everything.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I don't journal and never kept a diary. I barely remembered to keep my kids baby books updated. I take a picture and store it online. It's accessible to my family to view anytime. I took digital pictures of the photographs from when I first started quilting, remember having to wait for the film to be use up to get them developed? so glad those days are over with.
    Got fabric?

I almost always remember to take a picture, nothing more than that, however.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen View Post
    I have a blog, it's online for all to see but most of my quilting projects go in there
    This is what I do. I use this as my project diary for my knitting, crocheting, sewing and quilting.

I snap digital photos of everything as it is going out the door. I snap the fronts, backs, and all of the labeling that I hand embroider on the quilts. I store the snaps in my laptop. Each quilt has its own folder whose "name" starts with a date in the CCYYMMDD format and then who the quilt was for. I sometimes store the EQ7 pictures in this folder too. If I am lucky to receive digital photos from the recipients showing them using the quilt I made, then those photos are also added to the electronic folder. I like to look through the folders and reminisce. I make a quilt for each niece and nephew that comes along. Having this filing system is great so that I can remind myself of the fabrics used for an older siblings quilt and try to use entirely different fabrics in the new arrival's quilt.

Blog Entries
    My journals are in binders with full pg pics so the detail shows, front and back. I sew fabric swatches to a piece of copy paper and add info to the paper. making notes as I progress through the journey of making the quillt is very satisfying. Going back over all the info and thoughts gives me great pleasure and even though I give the away the quilts I still have the record to remember.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I do have a quilt journal but I haven't kept up with it. I'll have to "find" it....wonder where I put it?
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I do take a photos of my quilts and special items, print them out for my quilt album and include a little bit about them, dates, etc.

I also keep an annual journal of sorts, mostly about quilting and also include stuff about family, friends, trips, addresses of people I send quilts, pillowcases and other stuff to. I keep all my fabric and book order forms in the journal and any papers that I might want to refer to at a later date. Better to have them and not need them than to hunt all over for a paper you threw out by mistake.

I have been making quilt and comforters since 1965-66 and was able to about 10 years ago to think up all the quilts I had made. I forgot two that my son had, I recogonized fabrics, i used when making clothes. Otherwise I remembered them all. Since 2008 I have pics of all the quilts from then to now. I have a list of all the quilts, comforters and biscuit quilts with a description, and who I gave it to.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I am also a scrapbooker, so when I began quilting I have recorded all my quilts in a 8x8 scrapbook. I take a photo of every quilt and the receipient. Each quilt is on a separate page. I add some fabric scraps and the date and reason I gave them the quilt. I also include the thank you notes I receive ... out of the 25 quilts in my book, there are 3 thank you notes. I go through my scrapbook occasionally ... fun to look at the quilts and see how my skills have improved through the years.

Someone gave me a quilt journal and I add to it periodically. I like it very much. Sometimes I bring it to a friends house, easier than carrying all my quilts!

I take a picture of each item and keep them on the computer. My quilting friend and I write each other emails about our progress, and that seems to be enough of a record for my use these days. Sometimes I will search my email for mention of something, just to see how long a particular UFO has been hanging around! Years ago I remember being surprised at myself one day when I decided to sit down and list all the sewing projects I'd made in the last few weeks. At the time I was sewing little clothes for my daughter, swimsuits for all three kids (who swam in a league), and curtains, pillows and such. This was before digital cameras, and none of them were in pictures unless the kids happened to be wearing something I made.

I think that's a really neat idea! It would be cool to have something to look back on all your previous work, but also something to be treasured by family after we're gone. Thanks for bringing this up. I may just have to start one.
    ​Krysti

Blog Entries
    I have pictures of most of my quilts, need to get them printed. I have good intentions in making a quilt journal. Maybe a good project this winter!
    Quilting in the Desert

Thanks for sharing ladies!! Fun to read about the different ways we each keep track of our quilts. It sounds like the digital has taken over for a lot of us. I do have all the photos saved on my laptop, but I still like to hold the album in my hand and look through it. (Likewise, I do read on my Kindle, but I still love to hold a book in my hands and turn real pages!!)
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I love that this thread came up!

I was HUGE into scrapbooking long, long ago, but that fell by the wayside when I discovered quilting in '01. At some point I realized I would never get back to those scrapbooks...now my vacations, pets, family pictures, all digital.

However, there is one thing I still scrapbook physically: my quilts. They have a digital scrapbook, too, but I have kept up with their paper scrapbook pretty well--only about three quilts behind at the moment! Any time I need inspiration, I can walk over to the shelf and pull down one of those albums. I'm on the third one now. I've made over 75 quilts, and it's so much fun to watch my abilities change and grow as the pages turn!

I include information about why I made that quilt, shots of the front, back, label, and details. I try to include a picture of the recipient if available, a plus if they're *with* the quilt.

Here are a couple of pages from one of my quilt scrapbooks:

Sometimes I get hold of a thank you note or photo later, so I'll put those in on a different page:

Talk about feel-good! I love looking back through my quilt albums.

Plus, they give me a chance to use some of the piles and piles of scrapbooking "stuff" that's still sitting around my house!

--Q

I keep a spreadsheet online, with the number of the quilt, name, quilted or top, where sold (or present), date sold or given. I started out taking film pictures, then there was a large gap where I didn't take any, the last few years I have pics of every one with the digital camera.

I give a number to every quilt or top I make, ones I quilt for someone else, and ones I repair for someone else. My antique quilts get a separate spreadsheet.

I started by putting pictures of things i had made- quilting, sewing, embroidery in an old 3 ring binder. A professional quilter (she's had patterns published) challenged me to keep a separate one for my quilts. So i got an 8x8 scrapbook and started. I usually put in just a copy of the label along with a picture of the quilt. I am on my second album now. In 2009 another quilter challenged me to name my quilts, so now I am doing that too. I like having them in a book so i can show them to people that ask me if I work or what I do. Lol. of course, most people have no idea how much work goes into even a simple quilt. I counted up how mwny quilts i worked on- not necessarily completed last year- and was amazed at how many i had started! Guess what i'm completing this year! LOL
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I keep a computer journal and a paper one. I have a picture of each quilt from start to end. I take pictures and put them in a paper journal just to look through once in a while in the evening. I can't imagine not having pictures and something written about the quilt. Some are given away and I want a record of the quilt.

Not so far. I had a friend give me one but when it comes to decribing or naming or writing up an "intention" I am lost. I wish I could keep a sketch book too. I have one but its filled with to do lists. lol Never kept a diary either. I need to keep a book for the simple reason I forget about quilts I have made. I was going through my photos and looked at one thinking hmmm nice I wonder where I got that picture from and then realized it was a baby quilt I had made a few years back. LOL

Blog Entries
    I photograph each quilt I make, with who I made it for, pattern etc. I then put all in a notebook sleeve. If the percipient sends a thank you note, that goes into the sleeve!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Blog Entries
    I didn't until I found the "Quilt Album" software. Then I went back and recreated an album. I love seeing how much I have grown in quilting. Unfortunately I have no grands, and my boys are too busy playing (racing and being outdoor guys) that the prospect of marriage isn't in the near future. So I can't see all those little faces with my quilts. Darn it!

I can print greeting cards with pictures of my quilts on them, and have used them, when I give a quilt as a gift. While the program is stored on my computer, I have printed off the pages and keep them in a binder, to page thru. There is something about having something tangible to touch, that I can't seem to get away from in this digital world! I have posted some things on my blog about the program if your interested and there is a coupon code for $10 off. www.moosestashquilting.blogspot.com

I also keep a quilt journal. I include who/where the quilt pattern is from. (Book/magazine,etc.)
    Any information to assist if I make the quilt again. Any changes I made to the pattern to make the quilt more personal.
    The date I started the quilt. I include the LAQ that quilted it, or if I quilted it. The finished size of the quilt.
    I include who received the quilt, and why, (birthday, Xmas,etc)
    On the back I include a pidture of the finished quilt. If its a quilt I designed I include my pattern.
    Sometimes I include pieces of the fabric. I just use a lined school notebook for my journal.

I used to be religious about documenting my quilts (numerous pictures, a type-written page describing the size, pattern, intended receipient, etc) & lately I do good to take a picture of them. It makes me so mad, too! You'd think with computers & the like, it would be easier but I just can't seem to get it together enough anymore to do so.

Does anyone know if there's some sort of easy computer program you can get to document them? That might be what I need...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast