Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a quilt journal?? >

Do you keep a quilt journal??

Do you keep a quilt journal??

Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I started making one ...with a small patch of each quilt square on a large card...then take a picture of it and put it on a jump drive
Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 AM

I started a journal with the first quilt I made in 1998. I find it not only interesting to reminise about the quilts I've made but helpful at times. Like when I made a quilt for my daughter and she told me it wasn't very warm. I could look up in my journal and see what kind iof batting I used in her quilt and for the next quilt I made her I would use a different kind. Also, if I made a plaid quilt for my son, I would know to not use plaids in his next one.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:44 AM

I may be late to the game with my comments ... but it seems people are talking about two separate things: a quilt journal and idea books. A quilt journal documents patterns and fabrics used in the quilt, its dimensions, costs, purpose, who had it/who has it now (provenance), who quilted it and how (hand/machine) etc., with photos (where possible), and in some cases it also documents a quilt that's been inherited, wherein the information is logged as it becomes available. An idea/inspiration book is a catch-all of illustrations, photos, doodlings, etc. for quilts we'd like to make or duplicate, in part or in whole, or "do a riff" on. (Guess which one is larger?????)

I have both electronic copies and hard copies of each, with one e-copy on my computer and another on a CD. The CD of my journal serves to augment my will in terms of who has what and who gets what. The documentation/journal of the quilts I inherited from my dad's family has their written appraisal embedded/included. Each quilt has a separate multiple-page PDF file (not easily editable). When a new quilt gets added to the journal, my daughters and sister get a revised CD. No need to mention here the heartbreak so many of us have experienced when a quilt of a loved one is taken by someone to whom it was not designated. Although my family doesn't work like that, I am taking no chances.

Last edited by Wunder-Mar; 07-30-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 AM

I tend to take pictures with digital camera.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 AM

I have a quilt journal with the pictures of the quilt and who has the quilt, name of the quilt and date made. When we go on a shop hop or quilting get together I can take it with me
Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM

You bet I keep a quilt journal! Mine is a spiral journal book with a beautiful cover and each quilt has its own 2 pages (sometimes more). If it is a NW Indian design (or whatever) the picture that began the quilt is included. I try to have a picture of the quilt + a picture of the person for whom the quilt was made (preferably when they first see it). I don't use patterns (I'd rather spend my money on fabric!) so I read up on the internet how to sew things together, or figure it out, and write down what works as well as cutting sizes, etc. Sometimes I go to a quilt long done and adjust it for another person (most of my quilts are made specifically for an individual). Just wish it were more complete.

Often I go back and check out how some quilt went together and do it again, but with a totally different pattern. Sometimes I just look at the quilts and notes out of pure enjoyment. But the best part is the picture with the person who now owns the quilt. Now I have to get busy and get those last pictures put in :>)

Last edited by Sierra; 07-30-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by w7sue View Post
I have been a scrapbooker since I got pregnant with my son almost 30 years ago. So ... when I started quilting it just seemed natural to keep one for that. I have pictures of almost all the quilts I have made since 1998 (when I started). Like you, I have pertinent information - size, batting, pattern name, book it came from, type of batting, who quilted, how much it cost to quilt, who it went to - usually a full quilt picture and some close-ups. It is great fun to go back and look at all the pretty quilts I have made.

I did the same with quilt shows that I went to - those got big very fast because of all the pictures. When I take those, I always take a picture of the label on the quilt, a full view and any close-ups. Now, I just keep those on my computer - sorted by each show, by year. I usually delete all the informational pictures once I have generated a word document with the information in it. I label all the pictures according to the quilt name given by the maker (2012 07 26 - Twister Quilt (1), 2012 07 26 - Twister Quilt (2) and so on).

I have discovered that I don't have all the pictures of quilts I have made on my computer - I can only assume those must be in my negative boxes - I really need to purchase a decent negative/slide scanner and get those onto my computer - it probably would be a good idea to do the same with the kids pictures too - lol
i think that camera shops can scan your negatives or slides onto a disk that you can use on your computer.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by KR View Post
I got behind on family scrapbooks back in the 70s and never picked them up again, so I knew a quilting scrapbook wouldn't work for me. Instead, I created a document file on the computer that has photos of each quilting project, size, date, who it was for, and any other pertinent information. I may print it out at some point but right now it's not taking up space on a shelf.
back up your pictures on a website, like flckr, just in case your computer blows. it's free!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM

I keep an album of quilts. Some of them are labeled as to who received it. Unfortunately some have been gifted before I remembered to take a picture of the finished quilt. Sometimes I like to photogragh the steps as I do my cakes. Before my memory completely escapes me, I should go back and do some journaling. It's fun to go back and look at the quilts I've made. I'm still in the stone ages of photography. I'm using the throw-away type camera. They get the job done, but I have to wait quite a while until they are developed. One can only make so many cakes and quilts. The Walgreen people must think I'm weird when they develop all those pictures of cakes and quilts. They kinda watch me out the side of their eyes when I'm checking the pictures and oohing and aahing.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 AM

I keep one and I call it my portfolio. I even went back through pictures of my 3 girls as they grew up and took pictures of them in clothing I had made them for my portfolio. I also have a section for the church banners that I have made as well as the things I have smocked for my granddaughters and halloween costumes and pajamas that I have made for all the grandchildren. No one will see it but me, but it is very satisfying to look back on it all every once and a while.