Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help? >

Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM

I have 4 dogs and they are always where I am during the day. My littlest dog climbs behind me and sleeps behind my shoulders, the oldest dog just wants to be left alone, and the other two fight over who is going to lay on my feet or on the fabric I am currently working with. I can't say that they are much help but they are a comfort to have around and they always let me know when someone is here or there is a disturbance outside. I love my 'babies' and don't mind them being in my sewing space. Jeanniebelle
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Whew! Seems all us quilters have pets! 9 cats! I thought my hands were full with four! One is old at 16 so we won't have her too much longer, although the vet gave her 3 months to live...3 years ago!!! Anyway, two of the "kittens", now 10, all of one litter, love to sleep in my sewing room, which I provide a basket for that purpose!
My Goldie will chew on the thread coming out of my machine, even though it's covered, so I don't leave thread in it anymore...and yes my door is closed also when I'm not in it!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Here's two of my babies now....

this is Goldie's favorite spot....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141763[/ATTACH]

this is one of Sonny's spots, but he likes my lap when he can get it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142050[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141758.jpe   attachment-142045.jpe  
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM

We have 2 peke- a-poos.One is 81/2 and the other 8 weeks. The older one wants nothing to do with the sewing but the pup is into everything,like swiping scraps or anything else he can latch on to.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM

We have 2 peke- a-poos.One is 81/2 and the other 8 weeks. The older one wants nothing to do with the sewing but the pup is into everything,like swiping scraps or anything else he can latch on to.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:39 AM

I love my cats (3) and (2) dogs but when I am doing a commission they do not come in my work room. You don't animal hair on the fabric because it is hard to get off even if you wash the quilt after. And people are allergic. But when I am working for myself they have full rein.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM

I have one cat, Lizzy, and she doesn't really bother my stuff. I sew in my dining room for now (only until I close on my house I just bought) but for now she sometimes likes to be nowhere near my sewing machine, sometimes she'll curl up in a ball on the floor rght next to my sewing chair, (which sometimes causes me to trip over her) but for the most part she will curl up on one of the chairs and watch. I'm sure she's wondering what the heck I'm doing. When I get my sewing room set up in my house, things may change.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM

My dogs are not a problem in my sewing room at all, unless I want to walk where they prefer to camp out. I have tripped over one or the other of them so many time I can't even count. The sad thing is, my one fur baby is going blind and I feel so bad when I trip over him because he can't see well enough to know which way to move.

My son's cat however is a different story. (They've lived with us about a year now.) Most of the time he doesn't come in my room unless he is bored or lonely. However, I have come home and found all manor of things that used to be on the cutting table that are now strewn about the floor. He likes to prance across the table and swat things out of his way! I call him the demon cat (glowing eyes and all)!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM

Under supervision I let my cats in the room with me. One of them likes to sit on top of my sewing machine while it is running and the other one likes to lay on whatever it is I am working on. She usually just ends up in the drawer that I leave open for her. The dogs like to lay on the batting i have around. They just have to know what I am doing in that room and it beats having heavy breathing and scratching at the door.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Short of closing the door, there is really no way to keep them out and I don't really like having the door closed all the time. Besides, I'd miss my little sewing buddies. The cats "stand watch" over any quilts in progress, and the dogs visit me from time to time for a hug or scratch behind the ears.