Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Since I sew in various spots around the house I can't keep the cats out. Cuddles likes to sit on top of the machine and supervise. Dory sometimes does the same. Brat doesn't come around the machine too often. Sometimes Cuddles wants to sleep or cuddle on what I am working on ( or on me) and gets downright yowly when I try to shift her. Dory sometimes is a pain when I'm trying to press something. The worst thing though is when Cuddles and Dory decide to go at it. Dory is relatively new to the household and Cuddles is mighty jealous. They all like to test out new fabric or quilts. I tell my family their quilts are cat approved. Fortunately everyone likes and/or has cats themselves.

Blog Entries
    My two Standard Poodles go every where I go and that includes the sewing room. Except for the fact that they consume so much of the floor area, making it difficult at times to manuver around, I don't object because Poodles do not shed so no problems with hair getting into the fabrics.
    The cats will do a walk through then they seem to have better things to do so they don't stay.

Blog Entries
    My dogs can come in if they want. They will usually just come in to say hi. I do make sure nothing is on the floor or I close the door when I am not quilting. The other day I dropped one of my marking pencils and I thought to myself I should pick this up before Rosey comes in here. But I got distracted and sure enough both dogs came in and I turned around she had just started to chew on the pencil! :)

Blog Entries
    The cats let me come in the sewing studio. They have the run of the house, unless I have someone with allergys. I always ask all my students how they feel about cats. If the don't see the cats they asked about them. Emmy is on my lap now. I think she thinks she the spell checker. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Only dust bunnies!!

The rabbits are BANNED, though they'd love to chew cords and nibble cabinets. The bird is so tiny he only comes out of his huge cage when no one is cooking, no one is expected to come or go, and I can watch him carefully. I "lost" him in the house years ago and was terrified of what might happen. But, the rabbits have quilts. Belonging to a rabbit is hell for a quilt...chewing, tugging, piddling...it's where I send the *bad* quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by luvnquilt
    My dog likes to lay under my sewing table when I'm working in the room- which is fine unless she gets comfortable before I start using the foot pedal- then she grumbles at me when she has to move LOL.
    Same here and one time she rolled onto her side right on my foot pedal......close call!.....from then on I make sure she isn't laying next to my peddle :-)

My dog is trained to not go into the sewing room. He is also not permitted on the furniture or beds. I dont know anything about cats...friends say they cannot train them to do that...I dont know why, I never had any.

my dog came into my sewing room and just laied under the ironing board if i am using she lays by the computer i would talk to her if i was sitting after a while she would want to sit on my lap

my kitten comes to see what I'm doing and give to me a hug of and of course to see if I have something that might interest him. Or to do something silly to make me laugh
    they are just so loveable

I have two dog beds and I usually have a friend or two sleeping nearby.

But do be careful about your pets being able to pick up pins or cloth or threads and swallowing them. Thread can be bad news.

I am careful to keep the trash in my trash cans and off the floor and my dogs are pretty good about not touching stuff set on a table.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
    LOL.. I have a 2 1/2 year old hyper as hell cocker spaniel. She is spoiled rotten. She loves to sit on my foot. While I am sewing (at the kitchen table) she sits on her designated kitchen chair like a good girl and just watches everything. She growles (nicely)at me when she has to go out. Other then that she pretty much just stayes at my feet no matter where I go. When the blinds are open she is positioned on the back f HER couch looking out the window keeping my apartment safe. Yes my do has her own couch.
    LOL...I didn't know that Tinkerbelle had a twin! Tink has a bed next to my machine...but she stares at me if she has to go out. You need to understand her stares...she rarely barks. Unless someone has walked in front of HER house....in which she sits on the back of HER sofa looking out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by luvnquilt
    My dog likes to lay under my sewing table when I'm working in the room- which is fine unless she gets comfortable before I start using the foot pedal- then she grumbles at me when she has to move LOL.
    Ha ha ha..same with my two doxies..

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    The time I spend sewing is usually when the cats are napping.
    It's like an old folks home around here between 10-2 or 3 hahahaha
    But then they like to come in, walk around, nose around, find a spot and curl up somewhere.
    I love my furbabies sooooo much!! :D:D:D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I have three fur-babies in my house. My chihuahua follows me everywhere. He lays in the floor in my sewing room. He cries if he can't be with me. LOUDLY.

My black lab and miniature poodle both want to be with me, but the lab is as big as my floor space and the poodle loves to snatch scraps and run. So, my dh built me a door into the studio. (besides the regular bedroom door) It looks like the bottom half of a dutch door. It's a little taller than my knee. It is on a hinge with a magnetic clasp. It is made of pegboard, so the dogs can see me through the holes. They can't open it because it swings outward, but the chihuahua can push it open if he needs to go outside, or get a drink of water. It is the perfect solution for us.

Our pug follows me everywhere. He sleeps on the floor while I sew and he has his own little bed right next to my piano. Couldn't keep him away. Come to think of it, I'd miss him if he weren't with me.

My dachshund, Joey, has a bed and a blanket in my sewing room. He is my little buddy and follows me around the house. I don't do "clients" or "customers", so I don't have to worry about that. I have friends and family and they all love him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My beagle is always in my room, she has a bed in there as well as her own little beagle quilt hanging above it. She just loves to sleep while I am working. My cats are not allowed. They occasionally sneak in. I have a mattress set up against one wall with my flannel sheet on it for a design board. My mama cat that sneaks in immediately goes and sits on the top of the mattress because she knows I can't reach up there!

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    when my german shepherd was alive, he spent every waking minute with me. He was a tremendous help when I was sewing -- he would lie at the door entrance, guarding me against the quilt police.

As you can see from my Avatar, my cat Tia has to inspect EVERYTHING that I do. It's a wonder that I haven't cut her tail off several times because she's always jumping on my cutting table just when I'm ready to cut fabric. She has a chair cushion pad beside my sewing machine for her to lay on and take her naps while I sew. I enjoy her being with me in my sewing room(she's my company while my DH is at work all day long). I always tell everyone when I give them a quilt that the catfur is FREE even though I do clean them before gifting them, lol!!

i moved my sewing room into the room the cat stays in she is older and so far she doesnt jump up on my table as far as my chiu dogs they love to be with me everywhere

Oh my cat loves to help by trying to make sure she knocks over the iron and lets all the water spill out or to make sure she tips it onto a plastic template or bag. Then she has to lay on the most expensive piece of fabric she can find, Kaufman, Moda, Bali, etc. She then will take a nice brand new spool of Egyptian cotton thread and wrap the furniture legs and then let the dog have it and he has to "personalize" the spool with his DNA and teeth marks so no one can steal it from his Momma and say it is theirs. This is the day in the life of my sewing room with pets.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Renee, JOEY is soooooooooooo precious!!! :D:D:D

All 4 of my bassets like to come visit but Huggie Bear gets mad if I close the door to keep her out. If I won't let her in she goes down to the living room where Glenn has figurines displayed behind the couch. Huggie picks one of the figurines and throws it into the foyer knowing that will make me come running.

My little rat dog follows me every where, no keeping Selena out. She helps with the baby goats too. She has a pillow to sleep while I sew. She yipes when someone is coming. Rest of dogs is on the doggie couch.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast