Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Pledge has a newer item that scoops up pet hair. I use it if I think it is needed...Tink does NOT sit on any of my fabrics. She is pretty easy going. BTW, this Pledge thing works on threads, too. I regularly de thread my clothes before going to craft shows and such.

NO and neither do I allow my pet in the bedrooms.

My "girls" follow me everywhere and no way would I change that. They are companion dogs, after all, and I need their companionship. Our best friend nicknamed the two of them the "underfoot sisters." A really appropriate name. My yellow lab lies to the side of my machine table where I have to step over her every time I move. The chocolate lab lays under the far side of my sewing table, so when it's time to cut, I have to adjust to her bulk. She's a tad stubborn and dislikes moving, so the fabric lands on her and she still doesn't move. Works for all of us. Usually DH is in his chair, doing a sudoku or crossword puzzle too so my sewing studio is really a family room. I love it too! Plus, there are no dog beds in the home as they sleep with us (I know some find this ewww but I sleep best with them and believe I must once have been a pack animal in a former life)

Laurie

NO pets at all - can't stand them. We have six acres and no pets; yet everytime I walk, I have to watch for dog poop. I just wish people with pets would keep them at home. - Cynthia

Abby gets on the little bed and sleeps -- me too sometimes -- she's good company

My husband has a Labradoodle (large dog) and I have a mini golden doodle (small dog - and she is totally black even though she is a "goldendoodle). They don't shed so I have no problem. But college daughter has a golden retriever and you can always tell when he "visits." How that dog isn't bald I can't figure out - I swear I sweep up a whole dog worth of hair every week.

Bev
    I'd like to keep them out, but when I close the door both of my big old slob cats raise a ruckus. They howl and claw at the door and make a general nuisance of themselves. In fact they can't stand ANY door in the house to be closed if there is one of their humans inside of it.
    My dog comes in, lays down looking out of the long window, and sighs deeply every once in a while. I think he believes he has to be there for my sake, but he'd really rather be someplace else. But he won't stay out. As soon as I move my chair back as though I'm going to leave the room, every one of them makes a mad rush to the door to be the first one out.
    Animals can be very strange. 8-)

:) Too funny!
    I do have the "same problem" with my cat, (RINGO)
    He is my shadow, my inspector for quality control, teehee
    he wouldn't have it any other way, and I don't either

I think animals in the quilting/sewing room is okay - so long as they know the rules.

As seen in this illustration, Fluffy surrenders when read the riot act hence, there should be no unwanted accidents. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Is it me or do quilters always have cats? I actually wanted to post this question but figured it would not get many answers. Then I read in a book my daughter bought me with patterns for quilts for cats that quilters and cats seem to go together. My daughter is a Vet and has 14 cats(does not quilt) and I will be making her a quilt with cats soon!

I have 4 dogs and they are always where I am during the day. My littlest dog climbs behind me and sleeps behind my shoulders, the oldest dog just wants to be left alone, and the other two fight over who is going to lay on my feet or on the fabric I am currently working with. I can't say that they are much help but they are a comfort to have around and they always let me know when someone is here or there is a disturbance outside. I love my 'babies' and don't mind them being in my sewing space. Jeanniebelle

Blog Entries
    Whew! Seems all us quilters have pets! 9 cats! I thought my hands were full with four! One is old at 16 so we won't have her too much longer, although the vet gave her 3 months to live...3 years ago!!! Anyway, two of the "kittens", now 10, all of one litter, love to sleep in my sewing room, which I provide a basket for that purpose!
    My Goldie will chew on the thread coming out of my machine, even though it's covered, so I don't leave thread in it anymore...and yes my door is closed also when I'm not in it!

Blog Entries
    Here's two of my babies now....

this is Goldie's favorite spot....
    Name:  Attachment-141758.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  43.1 KB

this is one of Sonny's spots, but he likes my lap when he can get it!
    Name:  Attachment-142045.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  51.5 KB

Blog Entries
    We have 2 peke- a-poos.One is 81/2 and the other 8 weeks. The older one wants nothing to do with the sewing but the pup is into everything,like swiping scraps or anything else he can latch on to.

Blog Entries
    We have 2 peke- a-poos.One is 81/2 and the other 8 weeks. The older one wants nothing to do with the sewing but the pup is into everything,like swiping scraps or anything else he can latch on to.

I love my cats (3) and (2) dogs but when I am doing a commission they do not come in my work room. You don't animal hair on the fabric because it is hard to get off even if you wash the quilt after. And people are allergic. But when I am working for myself they have full rein.

I have one cat, Lizzy, and she doesn't really bother my stuff. I sew in my dining room for now (only until I close on my house I just bought) but for now she sometimes likes to be nowhere near my sewing machine, sometimes she'll curl up in a ball on the floor rght next to my sewing chair, (which sometimes causes me to trip over her) but for the most part she will curl up on one of the chairs and watch. I'm sure she's wondering what the heck I'm doing. When I get my sewing room set up in my house, things may change.

My dogs are not a problem in my sewing room at all, unless I want to walk where they prefer to camp out. I have tripped over one or the other of them so many time I can't even count. The sad thing is, my one fur baby is going blind and I feel so bad when I trip over him because he can't see well enough to know which way to move.

My son's cat however is a different story. (They've lived with us about a year now.) Most of the time he doesn't come in my room unless he is bored or lonely. However, I have come home and found all manor of things that used to be on the cutting table that are now strewn about the floor. He likes to prance across the table and swat things out of his way! I call him the demon cat (glowing eyes and all)!

Under supervision I let my cats in the room with me. One of them likes to sit on top of my sewing machine while it is running and the other one likes to lay on whatever it is I am working on. She usually just ends up in the drawer that I leave open for her. The dogs like to lay on the batting i have around. They just have to know what I am doing in that room and it beats having heavy breathing and scratching at the door.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Short of closing the door, there is really no way to keep them out and I don't really like having the door closed all the time. Besides, I'd miss my little sewing buddies. The cats "stand watch" over any quilts in progress, and the dogs visit me from time to time for a hug or scratch behind the ears.

To be honest my sewing "area" is in the family room and yes, they cats are helping. They run off w/binding - while I'm sewing it on!, They sleep on and under whatever it is I'm making and I don't care one bit. The dog could care less.

Blog Entries
    Our dog is afraid of the hardwood floors so will only go in the kitchen and living room. She tiptoes across the dining room floor to get to the screened in porch, but won't walk the full length of the house to get to my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    We have 2 beagles and they do come in my room but the dog hair is in the house and they go every where in it so there will be dog hair too! I only sew for me and my family and 2 others have dogs also.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The boys (cats) come in there but they are only interested in jumping on top of the cabinet and taking a snooze. Sadie (dog) will come up but she knows that her paws may not cross the threshold so she lays outside on the carpet looking in. When Heidi (dog) comes in, we know that she NEEDS OUT. So no, I do not encourage my animals to "help"

Junior Member Heartwarming quilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All my equipment is in my loft overlooking the 1 st floor. I don't have a cat that is indoors anyway but I do have my empty nest replacement and he goes wherever I go and scatters toys throughout the house. He is sometimes worse than the kids I had.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast