Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Blog Entries
    I have two cats. The one in my avatar is Flash. That was the first time, but not the last time, I found him on the quilt I was fmq. It has pins every 2 inches, and I put a garbage bag on it. This is what I found when I returned. That's his "You aren't going to make me move are you look." Sometimes the other one joins us. That gives me 25 pounds of cats to move while quilting! But I love the company, and I don't enter shows! They both insist on sitting on a quilt while I sew on the binding. It isn't easy, but it's cozy.

Blog Entries
    Our pets are of the type which live in a hutch or a cage or a run in the garden- nothing with fur runs loose in our house!

I enjoy my pets. We like being together. Of course, they are in the sewing room with me. They stay out of the way, just hang out and are companionable. I find pets to be very peaceful. Right now, I have 5 little Yorkies and 1 Morkie. In the past, I also had kitties. They simply enhance my life!

I think I can tell you. Dogs like to please you....cat's please
    themselves! (But I love um.)

Our dog Santana holds the chair down and guards the T.V.He also keeps track of all the other stuff that goes on in the house.

I have three dogs who stay with me in the sunroom/sewing room that my great grandchildren call the dog room. Does that tell you anything? They go in and out the doggy door in the glass storm door, chase squirrels that are always on the fence or in a tree, sleep on their pallets under my feet and occasionally come and stand on their hind legs with their front paws on my knee to demand some ear-scratching.

When I'm doing hand work, they come to see what I'm doing, but quickly get bored and go back to the squirrels or to sleep.

One is a Yorkie, one is a Schnauzer and one is a Pomeranian we rescued from the pound just a few hours before she was due for execution. Visitors have to get used to them--they were here first.

Miss Maggie, my little Jack Russell, is my constant companion! I enjoy her company. Only problem is I always have a bundle of toys on the floor.

I have two doxies and their legs are too short to be able to 'do' the stairs that go down to my sewing room/studio. A blessing in disguise really!!

Blog Entries
    "Let them in"? - there's a choice? Well, no one let me know.My two cats (both rescue cats - one a black & white tuxedo female, and my "velcro kitty"- a completely black Bombay) fully believe that I can do nothing without their assistance. Although I have a son-in-law with cat allergies, there would be no way to keep the cats out of the sewing without getting rid of them. And, since they are my only company from dawn until dusk, when my husband comes home, that is not really a choice. I just make sure to launder the quilts on their way out of the house. : )

I am always afraid the cat will swallow a pin or a length of thread or a piece of fabric...not good and can cost you a lot in vet bills. The dog, as much as I love her, always wants to lay wherever I need to walk and both the cat and dog are constantly head-butting to be petted, so I purchased a see-through pet gate that has a kitty door. The dog lays outside the door, but can see me so that prevents whining, and if I am doing something not involving thread or pins or trying to cut out a quilt, I open the cat gate so the cat can come in. Works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    My sewing room is in the basement and the dogs don't go down there. But I have put a sewing machine in an upstairs room. The Rottie won't come in the room, but the Dane comes in and goes back out. My dogs have rules to follow. They know they are not allowed in the kitchen at mealtime, and know they are not allowed around any of my sewing. Any animal can be trained to know what NO means. A lot of people have pet allergies and/or just plain don't like animals in the house. I don't allow the dogs around my charity quilts, even though I wash them before delivery, I try very hard to keep animal hair away from them. There are also a lot of dangers in a sewing room. I am rather paranoid about pins on the floor; don't want the dogs stepping on them. Cats being so inquisitive should not be in a sewing room.
    You do understand your pets very well! Well loved doesn't mean they are the bosses. They are like small kids and do not understand the dangers. Anybody can train their pets to be safe...for instance, cats can be bribed to stay on their own pillow, if there is catnip sewed inside!
    Animals know when you really mean no, and no can be reinforced with a spray bottle of water....and a baby gate across your sewing room door lets larger dogs see you
    which is mostly all they really want anyway.

My dog follows me around the house all day long. If I'm in the sewing room all day, Penny goes there too. She's got her own chair so she just sleeps. I love having her with me, she's alot of company.

I got a beautiful Sun Conure Parrot, who is my baby. She loves to cuddle, give kisses, take shower's, fight me for my Pepsi, play with toys, and most of all....set on my shoulder and wonder why she is not the center of attention when I am at my sewing machine.

My sewing room is one end of my DH & my bedroom. Sooo, the cat comes in & out. So do the two dogs, a golden & a sheltie. It gets very hard to keep the cat off the sewing table, cutting table & ironong board. He likes to make nests out of the bags that some of my fabric is in. Dogs just like to come in & visit awhile.

I'm having a lot of trouble keeping Keishi (he is a Chinchilla x Persian, with very long hair) out of my sewing area. He can get any door in the house open by pushing his claw under the door, grab hold of the wood with his nails and wiggle until the door magically opens. I no longer make charity quilts at home, this I do at a local church hall with some quilting buddies. At home I do the ones for family and friends who also have pets and don't mind. I do wash them though before they leave the house.
    Reading all these comments re: pets I realised again how much I miss my little Mini, she was an undersized special needs Chihuahua, who was at my side for 17 years. She died almost 3 years ago and I'm still not ready for another dog.
    I miss my little buddy. She was the best quilt assistant, ever.

A picture says a thousand words!

For what ever reason my cat has no interest in what goes on in my sewing room..........thank you Jesus.

LMB
    Mine likes to sneek into the yarn basket and unroll the balls of yarn. If you catch her she looks at you like " What ? How did that get there?"
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have 2 large yellow labs who go wherever I go...I work between 2 abandoned childrens rooms (I took over each the second their foot was out the door!)and my 'entourage' follows me back and forth all day. It is like a parade! I also sew and quilt for profit but am keeping the 3M company in business with my lint rolling! I wouldn't have it any other way. My pets keep me sane and laughing every day.

Power Poster
    My cat and dog basically just pass through. Sandy my cat sometimes sits on one of the window sills or radiator cover to look out the window.

I have a dog and a cat that keep watch while I sew. They are very spoiled so there is no keeping them out. If I try to, they whine and bark until I let them come inside. It's a control issue for them. LOL

in hiding !! witness protection program LOL
    Well Our Brie hasn't been with us long enough to go into my sewing room but when my poodle was alive he used to come down and supervise my sewing .. He would jump up on me to see how I was sewing, then go over and look at whatever else was in the room, then find a pile of scrap fabric to lay on !LOL the cat used to just watch from the highest she could to irritate him by reaching down and putting her paw on his head.. it was funny to watch

Hi My little shitzu sneakes in all the time and let me know when someone is at the door as I do not hear the bell with the machine running. Carmen WA

Hi My little shitzu sneakes in all the time and let me know when someone is at the door as I do not hear the bell with the machine running. Carmen WA

Have a cat not allowed on furniture or tables or beds . sleep's on the floor

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast