Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you mainly sew alone or with friends? >

Do you mainly sew alone or with friends?

Do you mainly sew alone or with friends?

Old 10-29-2010, 03:54 AM

I used to sew and shop with my dear neighbor; but she passed away from a brain tumor. I inherited all her sewing stuff, even her machine. Don't really have any other friends that sew.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:01 AM

I have a dear friend that I sew with when she comes to town,but mostly,I sew alone.I would rather have someone to sew with though.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 AM

- I sew alone and when I get into a funk I either clean my sewing room or do some hand quilting. Hope this helps
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by dgsmom
i use to sew with a friend until she would have me stop my project to cut her fabric for her. now i sew alone, seems i get more done.
Don't you mean "seams I get more done"? LOL

I sew my personal projects alone, but I am also heading up making a quilt for our pastor and his wife, so that's a church project. I do stuff by myself sometimes for it for time's sake, but for the most part there's one person who's involved with it. She's 23, and started sewing for a pregnancy crisis center she's involved with, making baby quilts, and she really got into sewing, was surprised as to how much she enjoyed it. She's now making a baby quilt for a friend of her's who's expecting a baby, designed it herself and is working on it by herself - I'm really glad and proud of her progress.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:07 AM

Mostly alone. My kids are with me sometimes and sometimes I bring my projects to my mom's house. I don't work well with others around.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:08 AM

I do both. My intense projects have to be alone to do. Otherwise I get distracted. I do enjoy my get together with friends. We solve the problems of the world and also some good food.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 AM

I was sewing with a dear friend every Sunday evening - we were taking a beginner quilting class and did our homework together. We tried continuing that after the class was over, but I was the one loading up my machine, etc and bring it over and that got old. Biggest problem was when I got back to my house I didn't unpack it for a couple of days each week and missed out on prime sewing time. I try to do a little bit each day after work.

So we've decided to get together when we have a sandwich to make. Neither of us likes to do that so doing it together should help. I have three tops waiting for this. She has a new grandboy who is taking up her time right now! But ... we'll have a sandwich marathon soon.

When we're together we are very intent on our own projects - and sew for 3 - 4 hours. So no problem with getting the job done, just life and having to pack it slowed us down.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:31 AM

I sew alone as I sew in the wee hours when no one else is up except my bird. He's distracting enough! LOL! I enjoy my quiet time & often get a lot done & new projects are planned best this way.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 AM

Just me and my music (or TV).
Old 10-29-2010, 05:49 AM

This is an interesting question, &, in some respects, a real eye opener. We moved here to NC, from CA, 13yrs ago, & I have often felt so alone, even when it comes to my quilting. But, reading some of the posts here, maybe alone with my quilting isn't so bad. I enjoy people too, just don't know many who quilt, & no one real close by. I have all I could wish for in my studio, except more space, lol, so I have nothing to complain about. I also hear how many of you prefer sewing alone, & the problems of sewing with others, or lugging your machine elsewhere, to sew with others. So, I am rethinking this situation & kind of changing my mind here. I do go to quilt club at the local, far from here, LQS once a month & do enjoy that, but I guess, in alot of ways, here at home, on my own, is best afterall... I have DH & my 3 dogs for company, so I am not totally alone either...I have music, tv, or DVDs for company too, if I decide it's way to quiet, but sometimes, I just love the quiet, & looking out my window, into the woods that surround us here, ahh, so peaceful!...