Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you "name" your sewing machines? >

Do you "name" your sewing machines?

Do you "name" your sewing machines?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 AM

I just won a small janome at a quilt show. while I was visiting in Calif. So I named her Cali.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 AM

I call my old kenmore "workhorse", and my singer quantum "sister girl"
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Only my featherwt, her name is Aunt Betty Lou, named after my neighbor who taught me how to sew.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM

My Janome 1100d serger is Donnie; my Janome MO 200 is Marie; my Janome 9900is Dolly - she is a bigger, bustier version of Marie, LOL. My Walmart Brother is Harold and I haven't yet named my Singer or my Tiara. Oh! I forgot Cher, my Janome 200 embroidery machine!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
My White's Jeans 2020 I called "The B*%@H" (rhymes with witch)...and trust me she was that and more! I hated that machine, but it was a gift from DH and I felt obligated to use it. Did for about 5 years then said enough. Now have 2 Janomes - one I have no idea what the model is (I think it's a European model...instruction booklet is in French!) and I love her, but haven't named her. My other machine is a Janome Heart. I'm scared to death of her! I have never used a computerized machine and I've never used it - own it now at least 2 years. I know, I know, I'm nuts. I am thinking I'll sit down this summer and make "friends" with the her. Maybe then she'll get a better name then "Unloved".

Anita
How about Fifi for the French Janome and Angina for the Janome Heart that is causing you stress??? Tell Angina she can progress to Pacer or Racer if she begins to treat you right.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 PM

I sometimes call my machines different names at different times! My old sergers I inherited from DM really have some charming(unprintable) names!!! LOL
Old 05-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LOL My new Pfaff ambition is Purps because it is purple on the top and the youngest granddaughter named it. The rest of my machines are *&^%head !LOL I crack myself up .. LOL
Old 05-18-2013, 06:00 PM

I have a hard enough time coming up with good names for pets, and they can sometimes come when called!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:29 PM

When I bought my darling Janome 6600 my dealer actually named it for me when they found out I just called my other two sewing machines "Little Brother" and "Big Brother" (they are a small Brother, and a larger embroidery-only Brother, so really not names at all, more like descriptions.). They said I was not allowed to have an un-named sewing machine; it was part of the lecture about always keeping the bobbin case clean!! I thought that was extremely funny so I've kept the name - she's "Princess Leia", because my name has a "Star Wars-ish" sound to it, LOL.

I just recently bought a 50's era Pfaff that's identical to the one my Grandma taught me how to sew on, and I'm stuck for a name. I want to give it a name, but I can't seem to think of a good one, other than "The Tank". I should get my dealers to name THAT one for me too...except they are not Pfaff dealers so who knows what kind of name it would get. I can see it now..."Her name is 'NotAsGood AsAJanome'."
Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 PM

I'll chime in. Yes I have named all of my machines. I tend to use alliteration so I can remember what they are.
My old Kenmore was Kandy, but I don't have her any more.
Miss Ida a Singer 15-88 treadle; Florie a Singer Red Eye treadle; Fessie Mae a White Rotary; Sylvia a Singer Red Eye electric; Boris an all black Singer 66; Hugo a Singer 66-16; Thelma Singer 301; Freddi a Singer Feather Weight; Freda a PFaff 3.0 Expressions; Tracky a Singer I bought at a tractor show; Fussie a Singer 15-91 can be temperamental; and Opal a Singer 252; and Wilma a Wards Signature.
I like to name them. My family really thinks that's nuts and makes fun of my talking about my machines, but hey they are my ladies and gentlemen. We get along fine in our part of the world.