Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which do you pick first? >

Which do you pick first?

Which do you pick first?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM

I always pick fabric first, and let the fabric inspire me. But then again, I don't follow patterns..
I would assume the best thing to do would pick a pattern then get the fabric to use on it..but then again that doesn't leave you much of an excuse to buy fabric that you don't "need" yet lol :)
Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 AM

I like to have at least 2 quilts going in different stages but I try to always keep something ready to hand quilt to take with me but guess I'm going to end up with a gap again. I like to piece for a couple of hours, cut for an hour or so depending but my favorite is hand quilting. I try to rotate through the jobs so that I don't over do on anyone thing as too much of anything can cause some repetitive pain issues so I try to keep varying the muscle activity. 2 or 3 works in progress is not a bad thing as long as you are working on all of them I have 3 in progress but am finishing up one this week and will probably complete the other next week and will post photos when completed. The other is a mystery quilt top that I need to decide whether I want to add a scalloped border to it and if I do hopefully will have enough fabric to complete it as the Christmas fabric I bought was sold out a few weeks ago. Our chapter is planning more projects but the ones in the immediate future will have to be skipped by me because I'm also participating in a round robin and my goal is to have my mystery quilted before the round robin top gets back to me. Never bored. LOL

Originally Posted by Joanieu
sorry, hit the enter key by mistake - I tried completing one project before going to the next, but nope... Now I have 1 in the quilting process, 1 ready to baste then quilt, 1 in the piecing process and 1 ready to cut fabric. Never thought I would do that, but I got into a piecing mood the last 1 1/2 months. But back to your question - pattern than fabric, but there were a few times saw some fabric that I just had to have.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 PM

This is always my question??? If you do see fabric that you like and can't live without....How much do you buy?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
This is always my question??? If you do see fabric that you like and can't live without....How much do you buy?
The bolt??? :lol:
Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stummel
The bolt??? :lol:
You are too funny!!! LOL
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM

I decided I had to start quilting so I could get rid of some of the fabric I have stored already. I literally have a walk in closet full, plus shelves full and there are a couple of bins in storage. Well, it is not working out so well. I am a great planner, but not such a great finisher. I have accumulated more fabric and more plans to make quilts and other things. The stuff I had is no longer as pretty as it was before. I know, get rid of it, sell it, give it away. I try, I do, and I have. But it is slow going.

To be honest I have been very busy. I have made a lot of things for the new grand baby to come, and the grandsons that I already have. And my sisters. Even a little something for myself. My goal has been to complete something every day or two. I usually only do one thing at a time, unless I am making several of the same thing. And I have to clean up in between each project.

Oh, the original question. Both? I have a stockpile of patterns and a stockpile of fabric. I plan for them to come together somehow, but if they don't, oh well. I love having a room that is all mine to stash and sort and plan and dream.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM

It's probably 50/50. Sometimes I see a quilt pattern that I just love and then I proceed to choose the fabrics for it, but just as often, I have some fabulous fabric (irresistable in the store and a bargain to boot!) and need to find the perfect quilt pattern for it.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM

It depends! I am in the market for only quality fabric that's on sale. I don't have a huge stash, but I do have enough fabric to allow me to hold out until I find quality fabric at a price I'm willing to pay. (Half the fun for me is getting a bargain. If it's not good quality, it's not a bargain.) When I do buy, it's usually a minimum of 3 yards, depending primarily on these two things:
1. Whether it will make an excellent primary or key fabric in a quilt and be easy to find coordinating fabrics; OR
2. Whether it is a good generic color & print, as in neutrals/blacks/greys, etc., that can be used for a bazillion things (at least).

I avoid buying less than a yard and I only buy as little as 1 yard if I know exactly what I want to use it for and am sure that it is enough, even allowing for error.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
It depends! I am in the market for only quality fabric that's on sale. I don't have a huge stash, but I do have enough fabric to allow me to hold out until I find quality fabric at a price I'm willing to pay. (Half the fun for me is getting a bargain. If it's not good quality, it's not a bargain.) When I do buy, it's usually a minimum of 3 yards, depending primarily on these two things:
1. Whether it will make an excellent primary or key fabric in a quilt and be easy to find coordinating fabrics; OR
2. Whether it is a good generic color & print, as in neutrals/blacks/greys, etc., that can be used for a bazillion things (at least).

I avoid buying less than a yard and I only buy as little as 1 yard if I know exactly what I want to use it for and am sure that it is enough, even allowing for error.
Thank you for your advice. I will keep that in mind. :0)