Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you quilt by hand or by machine?

Banned
    I am a diehard hand sewer so I prefer to quilt by hand. But using the sewing machine is so much faster! Do you quilt by hand or by machine and why?

had a stroke so now my works all by machine.

I quilt by hand most of the time, because I do it for relaxation, and I try not to be in a rush to finish.

However, I have done some machine quilting, and found it very enjoyable - it's hard to listen to a book on tape and machine quilt at the same time, though.

Janet

Banned
    I know what you mean Janet. I like to sew in front of the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    ... However, I have done some machine quilting, and found it very enjoyable - it's hard to listen to a book on tape and machine quilt at the same time, though.

Janet

Since this is a duplicate (don't know how THAT happened!) I guess I have to say something else...and that is, there are a lot of hand quilters on this board, so you're in very good company.

Janet

I quilt by machine. I've never quilted by hand. I don't think I could hold on to a needle that long cuz of RA.

I'm quilting by hand right now. I've been afraid of fmq, but will try it on my next project. I've also had things quilted by a laq. Kind of like doing it by hand-like others, it's something relaxing to do in front of the tv-just takes so long!

Banned
    Both, but mostly by machine. Even if I get as old a Moses I won't live long enough to hand quilt everything I need to get quilted!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Depends on the project. Have recently started hand quilting and like doing it in the evening.

Both. I love to have hand work for in the evening in front of the tube. But it does take me a very long time to complete a HQ quilt so I also invested in a LA. Now I can pick and choose what quilts are destined for my lap hoop and what ones a destined for the LA rack. I enjoy both art forms equally. I could never quite master FMQ on my domestic machine for anything larger then 60" square.

I always enjoy hand quilting but do very little of it, I too will not live long enough to hand quilt all I want to do, so some goes to the longarmer and others is smaller I quilt on my machine.

Banned
    I used to be a die hard traditionalist, wanting everything I did to be by hand.

Well, I didnt get many things completed, so, as hard as it was, I started to do some by machine. I now have a LA and quilt for others too.

I still love hand work and quilt some by hand, like hand applique and very special works.

So, now, I make the decision based on the end result and who it is for. Its nice to get a quilt made, quilted and bound in time for a special event...

I hand quilt small projects or quilt as you go but I do love my long arm I'm still learning on it and have a ways to go but I will get there!

Machine mostly. I have too many very large quilts to do. Also I have joint issues so hand quilting is hard but even machine quilting, on a regular sewing machine, can be challenging on my hands. I love the look and feel of hand quilted quilts. Keep up the good work.

I'm still new, but I can't imagine myself ever getting into machine quilting. I'll do the piecing by machine, but I actually *like* the insane time investment of hand quilting, and I don't much care for the look of machine quilting. And on a more me-personally level, quilting time is usually evenings on the couch next to my honey. He detests the sound of the machine, so I'd miss out on a lot of excellent time spent with him if I did more machine work.

I only hand quilt - from lap sizes to queen sizes. It is so relaxing for me. I have machine quilted once and I did not like any part of it. My hands and my shoulders were in pain by the time I finished it. I guess I just didn't do it correctly.

I usually end up doing some of both on one quilt. I haven't done fmq yet, and some things just look better with a little custom hand quilting. Works for me and usually looks OK.

I only do hand quilting and the little bit I have to sew I also sew by hand. I love it to keep a tradition alive and I love to work with my hands. Fortunately I have the talent and the patience for it! :-)

I am fairly new to quilting... only one quilt to date. I machine pieced/hand quilted the first one. However, I am machine piecing and quilting the one I am now working on. It certainly is faster which is beneficial because my brain is already quilting future quilts. I am finding that machine quilting takes quite a bit of skill (of which I have yet to acquire)... one really has to be "one with the machine". I am enjoying both methods and will leave both options open.

Hand quilt traditional type quilts, FMQ for quilts that will be used a lot like children's and baby or if I need to finish quick.

Blog Entries
    I would love to try hand quilting, but my hands won't allow me to.

I machine quilt. You hand quilters do amazing work, and I'm not just speaking about intricate designs (which some can do) I mean even a straight stitch with even stitches, I have tried and my hand work appears uneven every time, too frustrating for me. So I'm now pretty good with fmq its fun for me and my stitches are straight....lol

I'm mostly a hand quilter. I've done a couple of things by machine, mostly charity quilts that require it but otherwise I hand quilt. I find handwork - no matter what type - very relaxing. I'm able to do it while watching TV with DH so I still get sewing done while he's home. I usually reserve my machine sewing for when he's out so we have what few waking hours together when we're not doing something else.

I hand quilt without a hoop or frame of any kind. I tried hoops and hated them.

I have tried machine quilting but I like hand quilting much better. To me it is more relaxing, you can stop and start easier and to me it looks nice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast