Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you "retire" at some point during the year? >

Do you "retire" at some point during the year?

Do you "retire" at some point during the year?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:02 AM

I have one of those old quilt frames like they used during quilting bees where the quilt is rolled from the outside on long poles and you quilt from the middle out.

But I am mostly doing table toppers and wallhangings at this time so I will be handquilting this summer.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 AM

I want to but I have a huge one that I've been working on for forever and our guild show is in October and that is my goal to get it done by!!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:23 AM

This is an interesting thread. Many years ago (in the early 1900's) it was typical for quilters to do all their piecing during the hot summer months, then spend the winter doing the quilting of those tops. Dh's grandmother did this, and within her small group of quilting neighbors, they hand quilted together daily in cool weather--every afternoon, until it was time to fix supper. They took turns on whose quilt top they were finishing, and at whose house it was set up, but they all worked together on it daily.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
I hand quilt on my lap and I take a break in the summer because it's just too hot to do it. Does anyone else take a break?
I'm also a hand quilter with limited space for a quilting frame. What method do you use for quilting in your lap? I would love to have your advice and input.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
I'm also a hand quilter with limited space for a quilting frame. What method do you use for quilting in your lap? I would love to have your advice and input.
I use a big round wooden hoop keeping the quilt a little loose in it. I put up the foot rest on the recliner so it's spread out nice and neat. You?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:44 AM

I use a big round wooden hoop keeping the quilt a little loose in it. I put up the foot rest on the recliner so it's spread out nice and neat. You?
Well, I attach 3 sides of the quilt to the frame and the rest flows over into my lap. I pin a lot so it is smooth on top and on the backing. A little unconventional but it works for me.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

It never gets really really cold here so w/AC, makes it bearable. Have a big bag of yo yos and will probably work on a bag of little hexies for a Grandmother's Garden.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 AM

I slow down some and seem to spend more time on the computer looking for and printing out new patterns. when I do quilt it is usually a small project like doll quilts for the granddaughters or wall quilts. I also knit so that keeps me occupied inbetween.
I hand quilt on my lap and I take a break in the summer because it's just too hot to do it. Does anyone else take a break?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 AM

Nope. The house has AC and I just keep on going.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by grandjan View Post
Do many of you have to put your quilting away for awhile this time of year? The grass is growing fast and the weeds are growing faster. There's a vegetable garden to be put in and a world of clean-up work from the winter. Besides, the mornings are so pretty and so enticing that it's hard to stay indoors. I take the dog out and linger, and pull a few weeds, and dawdle, and admire the cherry tree and stall about going back inside. No regrets. The quilt will be there, won't it? In a month or two when it's not quite so inviting outside. And of course, I can always tell myself that I'm looking for inspiration, right?

Yes, yes, yes....I just told a friend that I wish my grass would quit growing for a week so I could cut fabric w/o feeling guilty. I try to take a break every day to each lunch on the patio and read a book for an hour - my self-imposed lunch "hour".....but then I find my gaze wandering over the roses and I take a few minutes to clip and dead-head....then back to my book.....oops there is a dead branch on that tree.....and on and on....love the weather this time of year. In a couple months it will be blazing hot.