Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think I am being too hard on myself

Blog Entries
    1. 4th quilt--give yourself a break.
    2. Can you show a picture, so we really know what you are saying?

Personally I know I'm not perfect and don't expect my quilts to be. I can live with a small error. If it effects the finished quilt I will redo it.

Blog Entries
    I'd finish piecing the top, being extra careful to line things up as you go. When the top's done, take a second look at the "problem" areas and if they still bother you, then you may want to make adjustments. Just consider this a lesson in machine piecing.

I have made more than 4 quilts and I still have some things off a smidge and sometimes more than a smidge. If I hate it I fix it. I do think you might be too hard on yourself.

You're hubby is right.

If you are tying it... put a tie on the places that don't match up...problem solved...who's going to "look under the ties"?

Banned
    if you are uncomfortable with it then make it right.

The Amish believe there should always be a mistake in your quilts....although it would take a magnifying glass to find theirs. In my case my mistakes stick out like a sore thumb but I don't enter my quilts in shows nor care whether they are absolutely perfect or not. My quilts are quilts of love and intended to be used and worn out for the benefit of the person I've made them for. We all decide what we can live with and what we can't so that is really the question you must answer for yourself.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    for me, it usually depends on whether I determine the error will "come out in the quilting," as they say. I generally like to move forward, so long as the non-perfect section does not interfere with the appearance or workability of my quilt. I think, "okay... This can be my Amish Moment." (It's like my private EyeSpy quilt. lol...) My avatar was the first time I ever quilted (first two had been Tied.) It's loaded with errors that I didn't recognize at the time. I only saw the beauty. Thank goodness! (We surely can be our own worst critics... :-p )

Blog Entries
    Your DH is totally right. I have yet to finish a "perfect" quilt, but I always add a lot of love to every one.

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I am in the process of making my 4th quilt. It's going to be a bagello. I noticed when I ironed the 4th row, that a few of my blocks are off just a smidge. You don't notice them from just looking at it, but, close up, I can see them. They are not off very drastically, and I am going to be tying this quilt. I was going to rip it all out, and my husband says "no one is perfect and no quilt is perfect". He also said that it is being made with love and following through and finishing is better then tossing it in a corner
    Your DH is right! It is being made with love, having said that, though if it bothers you, it's easier to do now rather than let it stew inside and then later take it back out. (ask me how I know this?)

Thank you all for being so supportive. As I mentioned I do have a terrible habit of being hard on myself. Hubby measured the mistakes after I showed him, and they are less then 1/16th. I think, I am just going to let them go, rather then rip it all out. I did notice a very eenie weenie error in a few of the other rows.

"Finished is better than perfect" and we are our worst critics.

I just love how supportive everyone is in this group.My motto is that I do it my way and if I am happy then that is what counts.No quilt police here.Just helpful friendly support.

Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    The only one who can truthfully answer this question is YOU yourself. If it bothers you, then you should rip it out and fix it. If it doesn't bother you very much, then let it be.
    We all make our own quilts, our own way. Know thyself and to thine own self be true!
    I aree. I've done several bargellos and it depends where they don't match. if it's a strip that haas a high contrast to the next, it might be more visible than two strips that are closer in value. But agree with StichingJoy - if it bothers YOU take it out. If you can live with it - don't bother. As you make more quilts, you'll soon come to realize what level of perfection you can stand.

Don't sweat the small stuff. A quilt is a statement
    of love and caring for the person who will receive it.
    That person will not nit/pick your quilt apart. Relax
    and enjoy your work. The person making the quilt is always a tougher critic than anyone else can ever be. Betty Lee

I tell people if they want a "perfect" quilt to go buy one from Wal-Mart! LOL I have had to say to myself a little boo boo is ok. Now, if it is drastic, I will redo it.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Many of us are over critical of ourselves... If you stand back a ways and look at the quilt, does it really stand out? If not, I let it go :wink:
    More then correct....finish it and "only" you know where that mistake is at. Been there and done that...waiting for pictures :)

Quilts are made with Love not perfection . Only God is perfect. We all learn from our goofs . I look at some of mine and laugh at them . Because now after many more goofs I know what not to do. HAHA LOL

Don't tell and it probably won't be noticed. Your hubby is right...........no one is perfect!

Don't be so hard on yourself. Things will get better. Keep practicing.

Listen to your husband just this once. hehehe

A beautiful thing is never perfect!

Before I even read the post, I said "Yes." If you have to ask, then, yes, you're being too hard on yourself.

With that said, you need to decide how much imperfection you can tolerate. I expect more from myself now than I did when I first started, and if I think I've done something sloppily, then I'll rip it out and redo it. If I've worked hard on something, but it's still not right, I let it go. It's supposed to be fun. I doubt anyone will know about this imperfection but you. Still, if you think you won't be happy with it, then it's worth redoing. In my experience, small flaws are hard to see when looking at an entire quilt.

I agree!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast