Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you think your UFOs will outlive you? I do!

I heard a lady joke that you should always store each UFO in it's own box, and that the box should have the name of somebody you know clearly marked on it.

That way....when your house is cleaned out after you die, each person can have a box with their name on it, and they can open it up and say, "Look what she was making just for me!".

I'm going to work on my quilts as long as I can, but this idea is definitely a nice way to keep control of your projects. I went to a quilt show yesterday and the guild was selling UFO's and quilt kits.

I like your idea!! Isn't it the thought that counts?? :roll:

I decided last year that I would finish all my UFO's along with other quilts I had planned to make. I did get some of them finished, but I still have five more this year. It surely does take alot of time to get caught up on the UFO's! I do like the idea of putting each one in a box with someone's name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste2
    I heard a lady joke that you should always store each UFO in it's own box, and that the box should have the name of somebody you know clearly marked on it.

That way....when your house is cleaned out after you die, each person can have a box with their name on it, and they can open it up and say, "Look what she was making just for me!".
    Even the 'little Green ones?' :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    I like your idea!! Isn't it the thought that counts?? :roll:
    I will say 100% it counts. And they would not know any difference. :lol: :lol:

That's a great idea! Although I'm almost caught up on mine.

Blog Entries
    I think we should not be able to leave until all our UFO's are finished. I know I would have to stay a while!!! :lol: :thumbup:
    So I think I will take a long walk to start me Off on the right foot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste2

great idea!!!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Oh I love that idea!!
    Do you think my boys will finish them???? lol
    PS. I just acquired a DDIL who loves to sew! YEAH!!!

Welcome to the board, Celeste! :D

That is a great idea how would they know :)

I am relatively new quilter and love to organize anything. I purchased boxes on clearance and store each project with all fabric, pattern, and any special items. I label the box with a mini post-it note taped to the end. Then I stack them by deadline. I purchased the same style of boxes (clear) in different sizes but at the same time stackable.I also have some labeled and marked quick so if I need a break from a current project I can grab one and feel as though I can complete a project. I also have my UFO stack.

Ha. Thats a swell idea. :thumbup: Hopefully they won't notice all the dust on box. I'm doin it.

Quote Originally Posted by SewMomma66
    I am relatively new quilter and love to organize anything. I purchased boxes on clearance and store each project with all fabric, pattern, and any special items. I label the box with a mini post-it note taped to the end. Then I stack them by deadline. I purchased the same style of boxes (clear) in different sizes but at the same time stackable.I also have some labeled and marked quick so if I need a break from a current project I can grab one and feel as though I can complete a project. I also have my UFO stack.
    Anyone want to take bets on just how long this incredibly organized quilter will stay sane? :lol:

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Anyone want to take bets on just how long this incredibly organized quilter will stay sane? :lol:
    Hahaha, I was going to ask her to come over and help me first!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

When I don't feel like finishing a project, I just tell my DD, "when I'm gone, it's yours."

You girls are to funny. Jokes on you sanity is optional! Organization required due to space! LOL

Was at a local Quilt Guild meeting and Jan Rixman was the speaker. Her comments - it's ok if you never finish another thing in your life! Why? Because all those UFOs will go to Goodwill or charity or your local guild and get donated/sold to someone who may have never done a quilt before but they just like the "look" of your UFO.

Before you know it, another quilter is born! So who cares!

About 6 months ago I organized all my projects in plastic boxes, all the scraps of one size in 1 box, another size in another box and so on until all the projects, fabric, and scraps were organized. It felt great to have them all organized. It lasted until I started working on projects again. I guess the secret is to reorganized after each project and not after several projects like I usually do.

I don't really care if they do,,,lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kem77
    I think we should not be able to leave until all our UFO's are finished. I know I would have to stay a while!!! :lol: :thumbup:
    I'm with you, (not leaveing until all UFO's finished) but the problem is, since I joined this board, I keep finding all these great ideas, links to stuff, and I can see that my UFO's are going to be growing at an rapid rate.

i'm really good about completing my work. i only do 3 projects at a time and i don't start anything else until all 3 are done.

i am being to think my stash will out live me though

Sometimes I want to just chain piece, sometimes I have those glorius days when designing projects comes easily. All my UFOs will enrich a new generation. I do like the idea of boxes labeled with names. In fact, going to start doing that.

I'm a little compulsive about organization too. I like to work on many projects at the same time. Lots of plastic boxes, baskets, tins, etc....labeled if possible, so that a quick look tells me what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kem77
    Oh....well, if we can't leave until all are finished...I guess I'm gonna be here quite awhile 8-) 8-) For despite my promise to myself to not start another quilt until I had finished my UFO's, I have started two new ones :shock: :oops:

But what's a mother to do with two sons taking brides this year :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast