Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you toss your thread clippings on the floor? >

do you toss your thread clippings on the floor?

do you toss your thread clippings on the floor?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 AM

I have a good sized flat box I can toss thread ends in and it's large enough to know I hit and not miss! But scraps of fabric, waste not want not!! I have a plasic box with a lid they go in. :-)
Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM

I really like my thread catcher, and use it for all those little clippings and thread, any that land on the carpet I use a clothes lint roller and pick them up with that, at the end of the day, "Mr Clean" my DH uses the small dyson to clean up the sewing room when I leave for the night.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 AM

Thread is actually very dangerous for cats. A piece that is swallowed can cause life-threatening intestinal problems requiring surgery. Same with yarn. I keep all of my thread away from my cats!!! Spools of thread are especially dangerous because of the long length of thread involved.

My kitty almost died after playing with a bobbin while I was gone. She didn't eat or drink for 4 days but just sat looking at her dishes of food and water. The vet found thread wrapped around Boo's tongue with the ends swallowed. She couldn't stick our her tongue to drink or eat. After the thread was clipped and she got IV fluids she was OK. But now I am careful about threads where kitties can reach.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 AM

I have paper backs wide open all around my quilting area. Right now I'm making a map of the world (do you realize how many stupid little islands there are? Especially in the far north!) and my floor is littered with little paper scraps and threads, and tiny fabric pieces.... just try holding an island in your hands and putting the baking paper in the bag! There ARE some in the paper bags, but.... My husband grabbed a broom yesterday and swept my quilt room floor! I think he's afraid I'll try to vacume it up and mess up the brush attachments (again).
Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 AM

No, I have a thread catcher on one side for threads and a waste basket on the other for larger scraps. I am OCD about dropping anything as my daughter's dog, who visits occasionally would eat anything not nailed down (an English Mastiff) I am extremely careful about threads, pins and needles. Don't want any trips to the Animal Emergency Hospital.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 AM

I would have to have a 55 gallon drum for a trash can, and one on both sides of the machine to catch what I drop, toss or pitch towards the trash! I have very poor aim and don't much care....I would rather sweep up later than take the time to ensure that they get into the trash!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 AM

:lol: Me too!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 AM
j

I run the sweeper it is easier, so if I miss the waste basket, I don't mind. - J
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 AM

I have an old plastic coffee container behind my machine and throw thread and small fabric clippings in it and then toss into a bag for later whem I have enough to stuff a throw pillow.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 AM

If I toss them in the trash or contain they just stay on my fingers. So I put them in my mouth and roll them around until they are in a big wet ball then they go into the trash. I guess this way is not very sanitize but it works for me.