Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you toss your thread clippings on the floor? >

do you toss your thread clippings on the floor?

do you toss your thread clippings on the floor?

Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I aim for the trash bag or the empty Kleenex box.

My carpet is full of threads, anyway. :?
Me too, but my aim is pretty bad. I also can't seem to get the pins back in the pincushion as I sew. I pull them out as I come to them and lay the on the bed of the machine, and eventually grab them and put them back whe there's a bunch that have accumulated. I will say that the pin cushion can't be more than 3 inches away...
Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
I have noticed when I walk away from the sewing area, I am covered in thread clippings, and so is the floor... even though I have a receptacle for them...

Do you clip and toss and clean later, or do you have a place for the clippings and put them in their place?

Do the thread catchers that hang on the side of the table attached to a pin cushion help to corral the clippings?

What do you do with all those clippings over time? Toss or use in another way?
I try to save as many as I can - and then in the spring of the year I throw them in the yard for the birds to add to their nests. It's fun to see colored thread hanging from a robin's nest - warms my heart a little!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:38 PM

I don't toss my thread clippings on the floor. I have a trash can next to my sewing machine. I need to make a thread catcher for my serger. If I move the serger up close some of the trimming fall on the floor. I try to clean them up when I am finished for the day.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Yes mine usually land on the floor.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Nope. I make a little pile next to where I'm cutting; then when I finish what I'm working on, I have a little handful of thread and trimmed fabric bits that I toss into the trash.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:52 PM

What ever I do to gather or pickup threads, I finish by dropping them into my African finchs' cage. They are never ending nest builders and beep me a big thanks.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:58 PM

My mother was one who ALWAYS dropped her threads on the floor.....and I got the pleasure of sweeping and cleaning them up (NOT!). SO I have always made it my business to cut threads and put them in something.

I have a paper lunch bag that I folded the top down on and use blue masking tape to adhere to my table, while in class. At home I use a small plastic trash can with a liner that sits beside where I sew.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM

The kittens do that during the night. They love thread and if they get a spool- Heaven help me.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:14 PM

I use a paper lunch bag taped onto my table for threads & it's 50/50 if the threads make it into the bag. Recently I caught myself throwing some threads over my left shoulder. Maybe I thought that would prevent making mistakes- I'm not sure...........but I can tell ya it doesn't help with the mistakes.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

I had a student one time who collected the threads from the class to put out for the birds to make nests.