Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do your quilt blocks differ in size? >

Do your quilt blocks differ in size?

Do your quilt blocks differ in size?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:59 AM

As you get more experienced in both cutting and sewing your pieces, your blocks will become more uniform. Meanwhile, how about putting a 1-1.5" frame around each block and then cutting them all the same size? You can then use sashing between the blocks, too, if you wish.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz
I have made quilts for my kids but used big pieces. I am now trying some with smaller pieces and the squares aren't the same size when I am done. It is a small difference like 1/8 inch but If I trim them all to the smallest, the block will be cut off a little. I hope this makes sense. Has anyone else had this happen and how did you deal with it if you have.
Lynda
Mine always were off using1/4 seam allowance then i started using 3/8 seam allowance don't ask me how it makes a difference but honestly it did.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 AM

I found it helps to check the size of each sewn piece. For example, I would check the size and square up each HST before I added it to the next piece. For me most of the time my squares are off if my seams are off. My 1/4 foot has helped tremendously. My seams are always consistent.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan
I had a neighbor and friend who was in her 80's or 90's when I was a kid. She was a beautiful quilter. She had an expression that I still use today... If she had a slight imperfection she would say, "Oh well, a blind man on a galloping horse won't even notice it!"
I love when my stuff comes out perfect but sometimes it just doesn't. I use the oversize method and the one mentioned using the spray starch, but sometimes I just gotta do the frog stitch... Rip it, rip it, rip it! But,if occasionally a star point gets the tip cut off I refuse to worry about it. Most times "it will quilt out," and my quilting is my stress buster and my fun.
Jan, I love your reference to the frog stitch...I'm an expert at it! You have just given me courage to start adding the sashing to the 20 blocks of my first quilt. I KNOW they're not all exactly the same size. I've remade one block and will try the starch and stretch on the others. Today, I cut the sashing.

:)
Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 AM

If I square as I go, my block is way too small. I guess if I did it consistantly they'd all be the same size...hmmmmm..a thought to keep in mind.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 AM

I don't know if you saw the message on the board within the last month, but someone was saying that using different rulers to cut your pieces can cause this shortage. Some rulers have thicker lines than others and that makes a difference.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:04 AM

ALL THE TIME! As accurate as I try to be, there is ALWAYS some slight variation in size. I go ahead and trim them to the same size, becasue I'd rather have a few points cut off than a wierd puckery thing that would be harder to quilt.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Oh yes! this happened to me a lot! I solved the problem by getting me a 1/4 seam machine foot. Call your LQS to asked about it. Janome actually has a sewing foot that has a guide on it. There is another generic one. I think it is call "The Big Little Foot" or something like that.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Oh yes! This happened to me a lot! I solved the problem by getting me a 1/4 seam machine foot. Call your LQS to asked about it. Janome actually has a sewing foot that has a guide on it. There is another generic one. I think it is call "The Big Little Foot" or something like that.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:51 AM

All the time :cry: And it's very hard on me too because I have the mindset of a perfectionist, but the ability - not so much! I never cut right, I never stitch right - always just a little bit off. So I am really taking note of all the suggestions here. And to make matters worse, I just discovered that my quarter inch feet ( I have two) sew slightly different quarter inch seams :thumbdown: So just like different brands of rulers being differently marked, so are the quarter inch feet! Come on people, help us poor quilters out here. Sewing machine makers give us more light and a wider throat on the machines, foot makers make your feet accurate, ruler makers, ditto!