Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do your quilt blocks differ in size? >

Do your quilt blocks differ in size?

Do your quilt blocks differ in size?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 AM

lovely blocks.

Have you thot about adding sashing strips and then making the blocks the same size? Often this will help to even the blocks out.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 AM

On a regular basis.But i dont let it wory me .Ever the optomist me.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 AM

Yes, it happens to me when I either stretch the fabric when sewing or iron instead of press (which also stretches the fabric).
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by crabby
lovely blocks.

Have you thot about adding sashing strips and then making the blocks the same size? Often this will help to even the blocks out.
That's what I do when I've gotten off. I add a 2" sashing all around and then trim my block to the same size as needed.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Yes and hate when that happens! Usually it is either my sewing or my cutting. Then it is back to recutting or ripping!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Thank you for this question. I thought Maybe I was the only one who had that problem (I'm new to quilting). I've been doing exactly what what sewing mentioned-----steam, resew ---whatever I can do to get them matched up. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with this problem.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz
I have made quilts for my kids but used big pieces. I am now trying some with smaller pieces and the squares aren't the same size when I am done. It is a small difference like 1/8 inch but If I trim them all to the smallest, the block will be cut off a little. I hope this makes sense. Has anyone else had this happen and how did you deal with it if you have.
Lynda
If you trim some off don't you lose the quarter inch and lose your point???
:D
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM

The last blocks I made had a lot of little pieces and I used a 1/2 inch seam allowance. I wish I had done it here too. I am glad to know there are others that have this problem. I know where the problem is but since I made the pattern myself from a picture on this board it will take awhile to get the pieces the right size. It appears to be one triangle and is a hair off. I am going to sew it that way. I have tried to rip and it makes a mess when there is only 1/4 inch to work with.
Thanks for all the input
Lynda

Originally Posted by Weenween
I have made quilts for my kids but used big pieces. I am now trying some with smaller pieces and the squares aren't the same size when I am done. It is a small difference like 1/8 inch but If I trim them all to the smallest, the block will be cut off a little. I hope this makes sense. Has anyone else had this happen and how did you deal with it if you have.
Lynda
Mine always were off using1/4 seam allowance then i started using 3/8 seam allowance don't ask me how it makes a difference but honestly it did.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Yes that is what I think will happen. However maybe if only one is like that I can hide it somewhere. Or do as the Amish and use it as my imperfection, as if the rest is perfect. :)

Originally Posted by lorraine43
Lynda
If you trim some off don't you lose the quarter inch and lose your point???
:D
Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Thank you I kinda like how they are turning out. I am going to add sashing, I think that will help.
Thanks!
Lynda

Originally Posted by crabby
lovely blocks.