Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do your quilt blocks differ in size? >

Do your quilt blocks differ in size?

Do your quilt blocks differ in size?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM

I did find out that the seam markers my daughter sent me were lifting off the machine so I am now using my 1/4 inch presser foot. I think that will work better.
Lynda

Originally Posted by Barb44
I found it helps to check the size of each sewn piece. For example, I would check the size and square up each HST before I added it to the next piece. For me most of the time my squares are off if my seams are off. My 1/4 foot has helped tremendously. My seams are always consistent.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz
I have made quilts for my kids but used big pieces. I am now trying some with smaller pieces and the squares aren't the same size when I am done. It is a small difference like 1/8 inch but If I trim them all to the smallest, the block will be cut off a little. I hope this makes sense. Has anyone else had this happen and how did you deal with it if you have.
Lynda
Look for a a little bit too narrow seam. Wait, don't rip, just fold it over, and carefully resew that seam a few threads inside the original seam. making it a bit wider = the right size. Leave the old stitches there. You wil see "they are not doing anything"!
Try to have all the seams the same 1/4 inch. If they slipped, and are uneven, you probably have to rip and resew.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:52 PM

A very good investment for me was the 1/4" foot with guide-(flange).Then using the same ruler, the same presser-foot, squaring up each unit as I went---it all added up to better blocks. But remember that fabric stretches or eases in as it pleases, sometimes. And a lot of it 'quilts out'. Don't obsess over EXACTLY same sizes, our grandmothers never had a ruler or rotary cutter, only a square of cardboard and a pencil! The board wore down and the pencil got dull, but they made some beautiful quilts!! Keep at it :thumbup:
Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Yea all time 36 years ago. I have gotten better.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 PM

Instead of trying to make the blocks stretch to fit each other, consider sorting the blocks by size and gradually going from largest to smallest along the length of the quilt. 1/8" isn't much difference when spread out over the length.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM

I always measure for the smallest block and then trim them to match. If it is a beautiful pieced block and you have a problem, then I go back and look to see where I didn't sew correctly and adjust the block. Not doing so just compounds the problem when you get ready to sew it all together. Jan