Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
does anyone else have quilters ADD? >

does anyone else have quilters ADD?

does anyone else have quilters ADD?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

I love to get started and piece a top, but I start to bog down when it comes to the backing. I balk at measuring, figuring out how to cut the fabric...I have two quilt tops right now that have been sitting for six months waiting to have the backing done. I feel the same way about batting. I just want to go on to the next top. I even send my quilts out to a quilter and I can't motivate myself to do those darn backs!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by beachlady
My DH wonders if I am a quilter or just a collector of fabric!!! My goal this year is to finish his t-shirt quilt and other WIPs. But, I still get to buy fabric!!
I'm so lucky. My DH is a plastic modeler (builds WWII aircraft). He has taken up the entire wall of the garage housing part of his model kits, plus there are stacks and stacks, plus a huge shelving unit in his bedroom! He loves to pull out the kits and just fit pieces together and hold them together with rubber bands and think about the modifications he'll make.

When we married, I was counted cross stitch person. I had tons of patterns (which take up so little room, sigh). So I understood. I had no problem with his wanting to have certain models and bought them and didn't work on them.

His friends all envy him because I'm such a understanding wife! He has friends who will buy a model then hang it on a nail they've put on the inside of their fence. They walk in the house with nothing in their hands, but later when the wife isn't looking or isn't around, they sneak out and get the model and add it to their collection!

He never says anything about my buying fabric or taking a whole room for quilting! Ditto for me! Gotta love that guy!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I jump around a lot too. Sometimes something catches my eye and I just need to try it.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Same here.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:09 AM

OMG, If you don't have 10 things going at once then your not normal in my book!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 AM

I guess I am not normal! I don't usually have more than 5 things going at a time. I like to have something in each stage of the process, so I can work on whatever I am in the mood to work on. However, I can't let myself start a new, large project until some others are completed...yes, I have a list of projects to start...that is the accountant in me. As a result, I am not as creative as some of my quilting friends, but am happy with what I do accomplish!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
I found myself at the sewing machine a lot today, yet I kept walking away from quilt blocks to making things like pin cushions? I do this a lot. Sometimes I start a new quilt and then within' an hour or so, I whip out a quick skirt for myself! Hmm...strange. Is this disinterest or what?
Yeah, I have fun planning the quilt, picking fabrics, even cutting and beginning sewing. But if it's a lot of repetition, I need another project or two to jump back and forth from, or I lose interest, and it becomes a chore. I have a new great niece to sew for, so I'm thinking a baby dress or two will get me back to the quilt.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Merrilin
Me too. I think I have 5 UFO's and a couple of WIP's too.
Only 5?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Sounds good to me. That's what I do. Maybe that's why I have so many UFO's. (I do finish them, but have already started something else)
Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Originally Posted by Pam
Me, too. I need some kind of pill that will make me work instead of wander around and raid the fridge.
Please let us know if you find one!! Even if I manage to sit down at the machine, I get up and wander off to watch television or find something to eat. As you can guess, nothing gets done. My personal rule is that I can't start something new until the "current" project is done (and I count having the top put together as done enough). I do have lots of UnStartedProjects around though!

:roll: When I started quilting, I made a promise to myself that I would complete whatever project I was working on before starting a new one. Well, I've been working on a full size quilt for my DH for a year. Finally just finished the top yesterday, Plus I have 2 baby quilts in varius stages, and I started a Sassy Bag for my BFF's daughter 2 years ago. No, it isn't finished either! So much for good intentions!!!!! :roll: