Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts? >

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

quite often when you mention quilts to a non-crafter- someone who knows nothing about them they have no idea what a quilt can be--they may envision something less than appealing- very utilitarian-
i bet if you made a beautiful quilt and presented it-they would change their minds-
one of my brothers really had a (weird concept of quilts)
had no interest-
a few years ago at christmas he opened a big box from me---and was BLOWN AWAY! he loved it- took it everywhere with him- even to hospice for his last days.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 AM

I think a lot of people, when they think quilts, think of Little House on the Prairie and things like that. A big mish-mash of color in a very country style. That isn't their style so they say "nooooo thanks!"

Either that or the quilts that YOU like to make (the colors you love, the blocks and patterns you love, etc) aren't what they would choose so they think that if you made something for them they wouldn't like it because again, it's not their style.

I have to admit I generally prefer a very sleek and elegant style. I'm not big on cute, I'm not big on patchwork, and I'm not big on bright bold colors most of the time. I like things to be subtle and textured and softly elegant, and that's how I quilt. If I wasn't 100% sure that someone realized that and KNEW what I would love, I would also say no thank you! Not because I don't appreciate what work and love goes into a quilt, but because I actually DO, and I wouldn't want them to make something for me that might not be loved the way it ought to be, if that makes sense!

In short- it takes all kinds! :mrgreen:
Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 AM

I was at a Billie Lauder lecture years ago and she mentioned that she makes "starter" quilts. Maybe a simple rail fence? Then she sees their reaction and how they treat the quilt and if she sees positive behavior, etc. She will then make them a nicer quilt. If not, they can live with the rail fence!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM

this is very common, you'll see posts here of people complaining that their quilt didn't get the response they wanted.

they used it for their pet, i've never seen them use the quilt, etc.

the biggest mistake these people make is thinking everyone wants and likes their quilts and thats just not true.

you should give a gift that they would want to have not what you think they should have.

you should feel grateful that they told you the truth and you don't have to waste your time and money on a gift they will not enjoy.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 AM

Yep, gave a bargello quilt to sis, found out she regifted it. Would have much preferred she would have had the juevos to just say, thanks, but no thanks. Other than that though, I've been fortunate to make quilts for receipients that want quilts and if it's family, I now ask first.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by kountrykreation
Yep, gave a bargello quilt to sis, found out she regifted it. Would have much preferred she would have had the juevos to just say, thanks, but no thanks. Other than that though, I've been fortunate to make quilts for receipients that want quilts and if it's family, I now ask first.
But hopefully she regifted it to someone who truly will appreciate it! Let's face it, unless you have a totally open, blunt relationship, people are unlikely to react with a "thanks, but no thanks" when you give them an intricate quilt. Even if they have no idea how much work goes into it, they still know that you spent some time on it, and it's not as though it can be exchanged. So they express polite interest/gratitude/whatever Mom drilled into them, and they try to spare your feelings.

Unfortunately, that later leads to still hurt feelings if it's never used, used by the dog, regifted, etc....I think your new policy of asking family before making a quilt is a good one!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Is it just quilts? Wondering if they like country decor and if so maybe quilted runner, apron, mug rugs, wall hangings, or table toppers? Just a thought :D
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM

My family is small. My mother liked the memory quilt that I made for my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary but she wouldn’t enjoy a bed or lap quilt. One sister is way too cool for that “old-fashioned” kind of stuff. My brother and his wife only like gifts that they can return to the store for cash. My other sister probably wouldn’t want one because she’s a fussy decorator. Little does she know – her new dog is going to get one!

My DH and son like what I make for us but it will become too much at some point. So I will make them for charitable organizations.

Although my next project is for my DH’s 85 yo aunt and cousin – they will LOVE it.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 AM

One of my sisters is like that. Oh well, her lose.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 PM

Absolutely. I would love to make a quilt for my sister, but she told me in no uncertain terms that quilts are not her style. So she is off my list. I give her a Starbucks gift card for Christmas and she is totally happy. Imagine, wanting a Starbucks gift card instead of a beautiful hand made quilt.