Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts? >

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

You just have to make them for the people who love them.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 AM

When someone receives a quilt as a gift and doesn't want it to be seen on their bed, I just don't understand why they don't use it as a "blanket" under their comforter or bedspread. When I grew up we had two or three quilts on a bed to keep warm under our bedspread. (Dad had heat on at night only if there was a danger of the water pipes freezing and bursting. This winter might be a repeat of those economies if the social security checks stop coming!)
Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 AM

I have a friend who drops in for a cuppa each week and is a completely "non-quilt" person. Out of politeness she usually admires what I am working on. The last month it has been a Hidden Wells pattern in blue/purple/green, and at each visit she has commented on how pretty it is; last visit I told her I really didn't love it-- not my colours-- and she said "they really are my colours" "What are you going to do with it?" This week I put her our of her misery and said "It's an early Christmas present for you!" (This had not been my original intention since I knew she didn't like quilts.) Perhaps your relations need to slowly become aware of the incredible range of quilt patterns/colours and click with something that is really to their taste? Could you take some hand binding to do when you visit? or invite them over while you are finishing off a quilt that they might like? You could gauge by their comments/reaction whether they are quilt-worthy or just a lost cause. In which case at least you tried! and there are plenty of others who would appreciate a quilt.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:20 AM

Is it possible they haven't seen that right pattern that they would appreciate? If you really want to make them something, get them involved in the choosing of the pattern.
If they are really not interested, move on to others and try not to take it personally.
I have people in my family that think the best things come from stores, not "homemade". Oh well, it is their loss not to have something special for themselves made with love.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:45 AM

better that they tell you than to get no thanks after its finished (ask me how i know this)
THere are family members that will NEVER get another hand made item from me.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
mine find the mistakes, very disheartening!
How CRUEL!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 AM

Not me! My family fights over who gets the next one!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 AM
Banned

not everyone sees quilts as loving works of art...nor do they appreciate what we go through to make them....sadly...but then, my sister makes Primative art dolls...and NO, I do not want one...I can appreciate what she does to make them, but Primative is NOT my style...
Old 07-27-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
not everyone sees quilts as loving works of art...nor do they appreciate what we go through to make them....sadly...but then, my sister makes Primative art dolls...and NO, I do not want one...I can appreciate what she does to make them, but Primative is NOT my style...
That's how I see it too. Not everyone likes the same things, no matter how much work and effort is put into it! I don't like ornately carved wooden furniture...my mom loves it. Some people like quilts...some don't...and some just don't know any better!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:08 AM

yes I wanted to make a quilt for my husband and he informed me he did not like them because they were so heavy. I told him we have come a long way baby since the stone age...HA HA but seriously he does not like them. My family and his does . So I sew for friends and family that wants them ..TO his thought though he has feet problems and they are too heavy on his feet , so I forgive him on that issue. So see you are not alone in that . Just don't let it get you down there are a lot of families and people out there that do and they would appreciate a gift of love that we have to offer....