Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? >

Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM

You're truly lucky, believe me!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM

That's great!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 PM

Beach Birdie, I would hang on to him, you're so lucky!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:58 PM

My wife and I actually keep separate checking accounts. Her paychecks go into her account, mine go into my account. We each have designated bills to pay each month, and having separate accounts just makes it easier to manage. So she doesn't care what I spend my money on, and likewise I don't care what she spends hers on. We've been doing it this way about 10 years now, and life is much less stressful now!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:59 PM

Honey, I can't believe your DH actually cooks too! I'm envious.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by sylvia77
Honey, I can't believe your DH actually cooks too! I'm envious.
Funny that you should mention that. My hubby started cooking about 9 years ago when I went back to college. I graduated with my masters a year ago and he is still cooking! Got him a shirt for Christmas that says:
"I cook...She quilts." He wears it proudly!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 AM

After dating my significant other for a few months, it dawned on me that he'd work 24/7 if the opportunity arose. I started feeling (slightly) guilty when I'd go to Guild meetings or disappear into my sewing room for a few hours. He never complained. So, I told him "GO GET A HOBBY!" The concept of having fun was new one to him; i.e., his ex-wives always wanted more, more, more $$. Hence, they are ex and he's with me.

He's always liked antique cars but could never afford one. So, I helped him save his money (another new concept) and, when he had a fair amount, we started looking for a "needs work" car. We found a 1962 Thunderbird! He's had such fun tinkering with it and taking it to antique car shows. Plus, he looks SO darn cute driving it! (I may have to marry him one of these days!)

Cars are not my thing but I want to be with him. So, late last Fall, I bought a hand-cranked sewing machine that I will be able to take to car shows -- set up a table and sew to my heart's content. After all, piecing is all straight stitching, isn't it?! Will let you know how that goes, come this summer.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
After dating my significant other for a few months, it dawned on me that he'd work 24/7 if the opportunity arose. I started feeling (slightly) guilty when I'd go to Guild meetings or disappear into my sewing room for a few hours. He never complained. So, I told him "GO GET A HOBBY!" The concept of having fun was new one to him; i.e., his ex-wives always wanted more, more, more $$. Hence, they are ex and he's with me.

He's always liked antique cars but could never afford one. So, I helped him save his money (another new concept) and, when he had a fair amount, we started looking for a "needs work" car. We found a 1962 Thunderbird! He's had such fun tinkering with it and taking it to antique car shows. Plus, he looks SO darn cute driving it! (I may have to marry him one of these days!)

Cars are not my thing but I want to be with him. So, late last Fall, I bought a hand-cranked sewing machine that I will be able to take to car shows -- set up a table and sew to my heart's content. After all, piecing is all straight stitching, isn't it?! Will let you know how that goes, come this summer.
QBeth, this is a bit familiar to me....my DH's first wife believed he should be working ALL the time, because his union job 'used to be' (back when HER parents were young) the best thing out there. She thought NOTHING of expecting him to work 16 hours a day all week.

And she F#%# 'd his credit beyond belief.

He now has a reasonable credit rating, a far better understanding of financial goals over and above 'it's only another $13 a month...I can handle $13 a month' (his rationale for any purchase)

AND he buys cars. (USED, thank the lord ) And then as I call it, he has to decorate them...I don't ASK how much the new wheels (you GOT new wheels? What did the old ones look like?) cost, because I would hyperventilate.

I don't discuss how much my fabric costs. He doesn't notice its addition into the already overcrowded conditions of my studio. It works.

And, although he doesn't cook MUCH, he does the dishes with some regularity. And laundry. No vacuuming unless I threaten.....
Old 01-26-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
QBeth, this is a bit familiar to me....my DH's first wife believed he should be working ALL the time, because his union job 'used to be' (back when HER parents were young) the best thing out there. She thought NOTHING of expecting him to work 16 hours a day all week.

And she F#%# 'd his credit beyond belief.

He now has a reasonable credit rating, a far better understanding of financial goals over and above 'it's only another $13 a month...I can handle $13 a month' (his rationale for any purchase)

AND he buys cars. (USED, thank the lord ) And then as I call it, he has to decorate them...I don't ASK how much the new wheels (you GOT new wheels? What did the old ones look like?) cost, because I would hyperventilate.

I don't discuss how much my fabric costs. He doesn't notice its addition into the already overcrowded conditions of my studio. It works.

And, although he doesn't cook MUCH, he does the dishes with some regularity. And laundry. No vacuuming unless I threaten.....
Wow, you do know what I'm talking about! I'm guessing there's a lot of us who have similar stories.

As long as my guy meets his financial obligation to me (we're living together, he pays me a fixed amount each month), I don't care how he spends his money as long as he doesn't go into debt. I'm not exactly his watchdog, so to speak, but he knows that he has to rebuild his credit score before I'll even think of marrying him (he's asked, I said no).

He is definitely a keeper! We'd been dating only five months when I had to have major surgery. He stayed right by me, taking incredible care of me. I'd never had that before, even from my own family. In addition to being one of the most caring people I've ever met, he cooks, does his own laundry, handles the dishwasher and rubbish, and puts gas in my car without me asking (wish he didn't, he needs to save). On the down side, we both agree he's a professional slob but we've made peace with it (i.e., he hits my slob quota, I huff & puff, and he starts picking things up :-) ). I know I'm an incredibly lucky lady to have him in my life!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 AM

My mom complains... if that counts... i mean... she is the one paying so I guess she has a right... lol... and this jsut started too when I asked if i could get fabric... but she ended it with a we'll see... So I'm hoping to get money for my birthday so that I can pay for the fabric i need... plus other things... Plus, I'm hoping i get a job soon too! I have two habits i have to support... books and fabric!