Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? >

Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM

I: My husband is a disabled veteran. He has to take a lot of meds. and it's all a balancing act to keep his blood sugar and blood pressure, etc., normal-ish and he has clocked in a lot of hospital and doctor hours, especially over the last decade . About half the time he feels bad, physically; the worse he feels, the more irrational he is.

II: I buy what I want for my quilting and machine embroidery needs and I go to great pains to get quality items at bargain prices, for which I expect a pat on the back and not criticism.

III: When he is feeling o.k. and can putter around the back yard and the basement, he doesn't really get involved in my hobby expenditures, other than that he likes to pay the VISA bill on-line whenever an amount pops into the "payable" block.

IV: On the other side of the coin are the days that he is feeling unwell, is extremely edgy and, consequently, gripes a lot ... about just everything in general. This includes making snide comments about what I don't accomplish, what $$$ I spend, and/or how I spend my time. When he gets to that point, he is obviously not thinking straight because he might as well be poking a mean bear with a sharp stick!

V. Now comes the hissy fit (me) and the nasty screaming match, where I tell him YET AGAIN the facts of our life. After we vent, we then get on with our lives on a fairly even keel until he hits another low point.

Ain't life grand?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:30 PM

Yeah, Mine was on morphine for several years before he died of cancer, times it was awful, and I spent many a night crying in the middle of the night, I did not get to quilt at all during those 6 years, but Now I am married again and this one encourages me to the point of going to the shops around wherever we are camping in the area and asks if I could make one like the sample hanging there, Am I stupid enough to tell him no, Don't think so !!!,Besides he just bought me a new Bernina 830 with the embroidery program, He thinks I am a real artist, my gosh Arent we all ?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by mortinarose
I don't understand women that let their husbands dictate what they do. I would say good-bye love.
I'm feel the same way. There are some wives that I know that has to check with their husbands first before they can make a decision about anything. They have to drag them along to grocery shop too.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Perhaps we should heed the words of the old Indian proverb: Don't criticize until we've walked a mile in his moccasins. We just don't know the circumstances.
AMEN
Old 01-31-2010, 12:10 AM

When I posted I said I often felt guilty for purchasing fabric and many pages later was asked why. I just am.... :D No reason. My hubby doesn't give me grief, he's very supportive and often helps me with the layout and colors of my quilts. He has a hobby that is expensive and feels that as long as the bills are paid and we have food in the cupboards I can pretty much spend whatever I want. He's never said or done anything to make me feel guilty about the money I spend on fabric, it's all in my own brain...
Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 AM

Honey please don't sneak in when your have bought some fabric for only 5 dollar.
When you have found a bargain and you are sure your family budget can handle that, then come home and show proudly and with joy your fabrics. Because your hubby isn't stupid and will now your sneaking in because I think (and you may disagree with me offcourse)that when you wanna earn some respect you'll have to give it to first. And if you don't get the respect you think you disserve then talk to him whats on your hart. I don't want to criticize you because I'm not in your position, I don't now your circumstances. But I sorry for you that you almost hide your fabulous hobby so: Go for it girl!!

If I buy a fabric, mostly cheap ones from the market, my DH never complain. But he really doesn't understand why I would buy fabrics, cut them in pieces and them sew them togheter! Almost always I do feel quilty buying stuff but I always show everything I buy to him.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:48 AM

I guess I would feel guilty if I bought fabric and just hoarded it. But using it to make beautiful creations is different.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Hey! Make him a quilt! or someone close to him . My husband is really proud of all my projects. But, he definitely thinks I have all the material that I need. Little does he know. . .What I do, is each month when I get paid, I go and buy at least $50.00 dollars of a certain color scheme, black, yellow, akd white, etc. or novelty print or minky or what ever catches my eye and for sure whatever is on sale! I try to have about four projects going at the safme time, so when I get bored with one or frustrated, I can do another one. Right now I need to make a pillow for my grandson with his picture on it and A&M material.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:29 PM

My hasband doesn't complain - He thinks it's great that my daughter and I have connected with quilting. I must have him fooled - He thinks quilting is not that expensive of a hobby. He just told me the other day that he really likes the material I've been looking at. I left it up on the computer by accident. He did ask me when will I have one done? He's been waiting 1 1/2 years.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:29 PM

I never had that problem when my husband was alive...asked him once if I spent too much money on fabric/quilting...and his answer...was no...but don't spend any more than you are....sure miss him!