Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? >

Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:43 AM

My DH realizes that my hobby makes me happy. He knows that I spend money and time on my hobby.... but doesn't complain. I guess that makes me one of the lucky ones.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 AM

Quilting is an outlet for me, it is an opportunity to let my creativity flow and when something is bothering me I sew it into a quilt.

I am very lucky, my husband is an addictions counselor and understands the need for a healthy outlet. He is my greatest supporter! In fact he drove an hour to the next town to pick up some fabric I needed more of so I could continue sewing. :)

He's a keeper for sure! :)
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 AM

In my book, if he berates you about something very important to you. that amounts to verbal abuse.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Believe it or not, I tend to spend MORE when he's with me then when I am alone or with my BFF. Pretty much guaranteed everytime I walk in a shop with him at least $100 is staying there.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 AM

Nope. I'm not married.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
Quilting is an outlet for me, it is an opportunity to let my creativity flow and when something is bothering me I sew it into a quilt.

I am very lucky, my husband is an addictions counselor and understands the need for a healthy outlet. He is my greatest supporter! In fact he drove an hour to the next town to pick up some fabric I needed more of so I could continue sewing. :)

He's a keeper for sure! :)
I hear ya. Last August my husband had a gasoline can blow up in his hands. he spent a week in burn unit and I took care of him at home so he could leave the hospital with weekly checkups. Quilting was the only thing I had to relieve stress. It was a very tough time (about 5 weeks) and quilting is what got me through it all.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Me too, what is up with that.
Originally Posted by knlsmith
Believe it or not, I tend to spend MORE when he's with me then when I am alone or with my BFF. Pretty much guaranteed everytime I walk in a shop with him at least $100 is staying there.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Me too, what is up with that.
Originally Posted by knlsmith
some say its being spoiled, I say its just normal for the queen of the home ;)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 AM

My ex did, I finally figured out that he felt threatened by my hobby, because we didn't spend time together when I was quilting, after I made a quilt, just for him, and encouraged his outside interests he was better about it, ( sometimes I just wanted to 'smack' him, because it was my money I earned from my job). My new husband; the sweetest man in the world, never has a problem with my spending, and I don't question his spending . That man cleaned house this past weekend so I could concentrate on training for the 1/2 marathon, and quilt the rest of the weekend. I LOVE that man!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Each payday, my husband and I get a certain amount of money that is ours to use as we wish (as long as it is legal... :lol:
He uses his money for tools, gun stuff, and I use my money for material and going out with friends for lunch. (We use the Dave Ramsey plan for getting out of debt.)

We didn't use to do this and there was quite a bit of disagreements about what was needed and what was not needed when one of us would buy what we wanted to buy.