Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it ever bother you that your work can look commercial? >

Does it ever bother you that your work can look commercial?

Does it ever bother you that your work can look commercial?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Mine always have so many flaws that I don't have that problem. I would probably get upset if someone thought it was bought at a store.
Mine too
Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 AM

In my mind, commercially made means that zillions of them were made and that they are identical. A one-of-a-kind item will never be commercial regardless of flaws. And, no, mine will never be that perfect.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

I usualy find unique material so mine look better than commercial.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
I have had a friend tell me that she can tell my things because they are so much better made than store bought. Of course we don't shop in Neiman Marcus either.I am very picky about how my things look. Straight seams and especially straight top stitching.
Little side story: my DGD was talking about buying a wedding gown IF she ever decides to marry, (she's 16 right now) She said she would only take her mom to look for a dress because her Grammy wouldn't be satisfied with any of them because none would be good enough and she wouldn't take me because I would look at all the sewing and say how crappy it was. LOL And that is so true . I do that with store stuff.
The one and only time I was in Neiman-Marcus was about 18 or so years ago, and I was checking out a 200 dollar silk blouse (that would be about 500 dollars in today's money). The seams were pinked, raw edges! For that kind of $$$ I expected French seams at a minimum. Their construction isn't any better than anyplace else.

I don't worry that my stuff will every be confused for "commercial" - no company would ever deign to create such labor-intensive pieces. they would go broke very fast.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned

I think you are confusing professional with "mass produced". There is a BIG difference. There are lots of commercial products which are very high quality and individualized. A one of a kind designer dress is professional and commercial without being cheap. Don't confuse "cheap" with "mass produced" (Think Sony, Krupps, Volvo, Mercedes, for instance, or if you prefer, Janome, Bernina, etc.) or commercial (think YSL, Armani, Vera Wang, etc.). Are those very expensive oriental carpets hand made? YES. Are they made commercially? YES. Are they "cheap"? NO. I would be proud if my stuff didn't look "home made". Mine does!!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
The last few things I have made look good. But at the same time they look almost commercial in that there are few "hand made" features. It kinda bothers me that anyone would look at my creations as commercially made cause they are good. Am I the only one??
I will never have that problem, mine never look that good.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:09 PM

never had that problem and never thought about it much either i guess because i know i made the quilt and the people i make them for know i made the quilt
Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 PM

I sure don't have that problem;sofar i have to make sure that i catch my mistakes and redo before someone else sees them..lol
Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 AM

Heeeee, I wish! Long way to go before that could ever be said an
anyone not laughing!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
I don't worry that my stuff will every be confused for "commercial" - no company would ever deign to create such labor-intensive pieces. they would go broke very fast.

I agree with this statement! The very nicest, most beautiful quilts that I have seen posted on this site, I would never think were "commercial" or "mass produced". And I'm talking about machine quilted quilts in particular. Companies can't afford to have a person working on one quilt for 20+ hours, which is very near (or less than!) what a lot of quilters put into one quilt.