Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it ever end!!! >

Does it ever end!!!

Does it ever end!!!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:29 AM

Nothing gladdens my heart more than a good fabric deal, needed or not.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I know how that goes! I am sure between gifts, charity quilts, etc you will make good use of it!
Old 04-26-2015, 05:46 AM

I'm not a stash buyer so have a hard time relating. But it brings to mind a comment from a long ago boss whose wife would shop for whatever and come home 'look how much $$ I saved'. To which his standard answer became 'Stop saving me so much money!'.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:13 AM

I was at the garden store yesterday, talking with a women about how people just "WANT, WANT, WANT" without a need. She was asking me what I was getting and I told her, a gift for a lady that I take care of for her birthday (I had just picked up 2 small bird feeders for out side her room). She wanted to know how many plants I was getting, but I pointed out that I'm a garden recycler (she just thought that was great - she thought it was great that I didn't feel I needed to keep up with anyone else). What she didn't know - is that the back of my SUV was full of FABRIC!!!!! I can not pass up a good deal (when it comes to fabric - when my DH see more fabric he always says "How much did you save me this time"). When not paying full price or when upcycling fabric I feel great. I feel as if I'm saving fabric from not being loved, and I can turn it into something that someone will love. OK, I'm sick. But in the grand scheme of things, I spend very little on fabric and it makes me happy. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, go on vacations, have expensive toys, drive fancy cars - so I have just one habit and that's fabric. So see it's not so bad?
Old 04-26-2015, 06:27 AM

That's nothing...I went to an estate sale and bought $75.00 worth of fabric......at $.50 a PIECE. Each piece was from 1/4 yard to 9 yards!!!!!!!! Yeah, I have WAY too much.......but I LOOOOOOOVE it!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:29 AM

What if there was a fabric famine? We're just making sure we have enough put away just in case!!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:37 AM

LOL, I so hear you and understand! A friend gave me a newspaper clipping about a quilting guild that was holding a collective yard sale with "tons of fabric and other quilting items". I knew better than to even go, so I just dropped the clipping into the trash when she wasn't looking.
I am so proud of myself for not going to that sale!!! I don't have the money to spend nor the space for storage. I recently donated a lot of non-quilting fabric to a craft group for women and teens with problems.
The only thing I have a very hard time resisting is scrubs in unusual fabric. I just found this awesome one with dental stuff! How do you not get that?
LOL
Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 AM

I have very limited fabric storage space and it's pretty full but I just love the hunt!! I get a thrill from finding a great deal at a yard sale or thrift shop. Recently I removed some pieces from my shelves which I really don't like to make room for new stuff. I'm trying to sell it online but if I don't succeed, I'll donate it somewhere. At least the hunting is a fairly inexpensive hobby.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:44 AM

Hey! I am not spending money on drugs!!!! I went to a quilt store on Friday with friends. We had never been there before but it advertised "Aunt Grace quilt backs" (108" wide). I guess you can guess who added a pile to an already overflowing stash! I do sometimes clean out and donate but it seems to grow faster than my "weeding out". I sometimes wonder what I truly love...quilting or fabric!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I sometimes wonder what I truly love...quilting or fabric!

OMG - me too!!!