Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this machine exist?

Blog Entries
    I would consider the Bernina #180 that is on e-bay now. It looks great and I know the G-street dealer that has serviced the machine is a top Bernina dealer. You can tell from the information that the machine has been well taken care of.
    Good Luck

Blog Entries
    i have a brother QC1000 I think is the number. It is the one the Laura Ashley replaced...got a great deal...$800...new.
    PM me and I will send you the dealer info...know she would ship it probably.
    It is for quilting and sewing...love it.
    Susan

If you can possibly find an old Bernina 930 or a Bernina 801 both of these old machines purr like kittens. My 801 is almost 20 years old and you cannot even hear it run when it stitches, AND it does go 90 mph. Just has a few basic stitches, zig zag etc. Only problem no stop up/down on it, but I still take that to workshops as its lighter.
    The old 930's were the last all metal machines. Mine still runs like it did the day I bought it. Upgraded to a computerized machine several years ago, but still fall back on the older machines when I am piecing. Good luck on your search for a backup machine.

Juki Tl98Q - only straight stitch, work horse, my very favorite for piecing - availlable online for about $750.

babylock quilter's choice pro straight stitch only,comes with all kinds of feet,a real work horse around 900.00.

Check this out....I have one and love it.

Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G13

I know you said you don't want an old machine but I sew some part of every day and I find the Singer 500a the best and most reliable machine for a backup. It is all metal, no plastic parts to lose adjustment. It came with 5 additional discs with special fancy stitches, and others available. I have a Pffaff 2144 embroidery machine as my first machine and it has already lost a "motherboard" and had to be sent in once. The Singer I bought on E-Bay and it is always ready.

Blog Entries
    My suggestion is the Viking Mega Quilter. I love mine. It's really fast, has the knee lift and the thread cutter..it doesn't have the bobbin low message but other than that it is a great machine. I got mine on sale for 999. It's easy to load the bobbin and you don't have to take the quilt out to load it which is great. I use a good quality thread and have had no problems with thread breakage. It only does straight stitching so it is a no frill top of the line machine. My other machine is a Kenmore (made by Janome) but it doesn't have the thread cutter or knee lift but works great.

I vote for the Juki as well.

Check out ebay for the juki QL98 it has a wide throat, and straight stitches only. I love mine!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I ended up with another Bernina, an older model without all the computer stuff. Nothing measured up for me, other than the quality of a Bernina.

Blog Entries
    I have the Brother 1500. It has all the features you are asking for except bobbin alarm. It looks identical to the Juki.

Blog Entries
    Low bobbin warning should be a must with any machine! Mine does't have it but ALL MACHINES SHOULD HAVE IT!

I have a BabyLock 'Ellure' and it has all that you are looking for... I LOVE mine!

Try a Juki they are under 1000 and will meet all your needs only thing I don't like about it is your bobbin will run out without your realizing it.

Juki 98Q for me! Everything you mentioned but the beep for the bobbin running out- that is the sound you make when you realize it about 6 inches down the seam. :)

It is a workhorse! I used it this morning to take in my jeans. Darn stretch denim- they stretch and I don't own a belt. Next time I buy a pair of jeans I will go down 1 size. Didn't have to adjust anything from the table runner I was working on yesterday. Went back to the table runner- didn't have to adjust a thing again.

Love my Juki!

I'd certainly look at Vikings, maybe a used one. They have anumber of models with all the things you listed. They have something better than a knee-lift. It is automatic--when you have it in the needle-down mode, it automatically lifts the foot so you can move the fabric. I'm in love with my viking, and Bernina lover won't be disappointed! :thumbup:

I think if you look at a Bernina dealer they may have the a special on one of the less expensive 220's. I think I received an e-mail fom my dealer about the sale. I know they have just a limited number of whatever the model was. Sorry I can't find my newsletter from the Presser Foot in Ft. Collins, Co. But maybe if you would just look you would get a Bernina for alot less then the $1000 price.

Juki makes a great machine under $1000, knee lift, thread cutter, straight stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Check out ebay for the juki QL98 it has a wide throat, and straight stitches only. I love mine!!
    Yes, this is a great machine.

The Juki 98Q sounds right, the only thing it does not have is the low bobbin indicator. I bought it online, came with all the feet including a walking foot, bobbins, needles a $50.00 gift certificate, extension table, cover, free shipping and no tax for $899.00. I think it was sewingmachinesplus. It is great and can also be put on a frame.

I would go to a dealer too, and just test out a bunch, see what you like!

I have the Pfaff Hobby 1200 GrandQuilter. It has all of the features you asked for except the low bobbin. I believe you would like it if you gave it a test drive.

One of the things about the Juki that I think is maybe NOT true for the others mentioned in this thread is that is is an all metal machine- no plastic interior parts, no sealed parts. You almost cannot destroy it unless you have a sledgehammer. AS long as you oil it, she will run her little heart out. No computer to fry, and no spendy repairs. I've never had a machine that told me when the bobbin is low. I'm sure I would love it, but I'd never trade the Juki. Her stitches are beautiful and straight and perfect for FMQ.

bernina's are great..they have just come out with the 300 series..which means they are not going to have any more 200 seroes..so i would keep my eyes open for a sale on the 200's or perhaps a trade in..the last 300 is just under a thousand dollars but certainly worth it..plus you can get service too..dont waste your money on a singer..however if you dont want to spend that much..buy a kenmore between 300 and 600 hundred,,but you may not be able to get service or parts..good luck and let us know what you get

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast