Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does not sewing make you crabby? >

Does not sewing make you crabby?

Does not sewing make you crabby?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 AM

I may be a lone voice, but sometimes when I am having a problem, I find I have to get out of the sewing room for a few days.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 AM

When life settles down, everyone that doesn't live here goes home, no activities to rush off to, I head for the Quilt Cave with a sense of "ahhhh". It is my fix! Cheaper than a therapist although my obsession might qualify me as needing one.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:41 AM

I do not feel as happy as I normally am when I am not quilting. Yesterday in the midst of cleaning out a room, I looked at DH and told him that I would be so much more happier if I could sit down for an afternoon and quilt something. I am in the cleaning out mode right now, but I would prefer quilting.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
I may be a lone voice, but sometimes when I am having a problem, I find I have to get out of the sewing room for a few days.
Sandy, this has happened to me many times. I am afraid that is why I have become such a 'flitter': If the quilting is not going well, I flit to piecing...then to hand applique..then to binding..then back to quilting! My husband will often put his arm around my shoulder and say "you should go sew, you will feel better"! I have taken up hand applique as I miss it all SO much when I am traveling. I am even making a small Shutterfly book to show people what I do. You say longarm quilter, and their eyes glaze over! HA!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:02 AM

First of all, I don't think there's any such thing as an overdose of ice cream! But, yes, I get crabby when I don't sew. Which is why the house has fur balls and dust bunnies and other various clutter. But at least I'm not crabby. Or not as much, now that menopause is over! Haha!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 AM

Wannabequiltin, I am in your predicament right now. I have let my winter clothes storage effort get so far behind that I've spent the last two days playing catch-up. And am frustrated and uneasy in my heart because I have so many quilts waiting for me to work on. I cannot imagine how I did so much in my younger days--worked a full time job outside the home, tended four kids, cooked three meals a day, rearranged rooms six times a year, and moved from one air force assignment to another with DH on an average of every 2 years; and still got lots of sewing projects done. I think back now and just shake my head. I don't even cook two meals a day now and feel swamped with things that need to be done. Can't stand it, but here I sit at my computer enjoying your all's company 'til I read everything that catches my interest. I'll get to the rest tomorrow, maybe....
Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 AM

Well Thread - you're right, not sewing can make a person crabby. We live in a small cabin and two years ago we purchased a king-size bed. I used to do my sewing and pressing in the bedroom - that had to stop after the bed went in due to lack of space. I keep buying supplies and the supply is building up in totes which are taking up even more space. I have started on English Paper Piecing because I can do that in my chair in the living area or sitting on the bed. This helped to some degree, but recently we were having a bake & craft sale at church so I took my machine to the church and worked on some projects there. That only made me realize how much I miss machine piecing. We are hoping to more into a bigger place later this year or early next year so I'll just have to be crabby til then. Hang tough and sew when you can and may God Bless You with some of that time.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Sewing made me cabby until I got a new machine BL Crescendo! I have just been piecing on it and I am so happy! My foot starts at the edge and doesn't bunch up the fabric...no leader needed! The 1/4 foot is accurate. Simple things can make an experience wonderful! And this machine is so quiet I can hear my music playing softly!

Now as soon as I figure out how to get my shoulders massaged at the same time I am sewing...I will be floating in happiness! lol
Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM

Whew!! I'm relieved!! When I first read this topic I read it as "Doesn't sewing make you crabby" I know that it wasn't written that way, but that's what my brain did with it... It was the first thing I clicked on and wow... I think I've been "infected" too... NOT sewing and having to think about NOT sewing makes me a little sad, too!! I've been away from my little niche for a couple of weeks with other life-stuff getting in the way and I AM crabby!! Well, problem solved! Now I know I must get in there and sew!!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:03 AM

I find myself wanting to get to sewing, but with little time, and a project staring me in the face that needs to be ripped and re-sewn I am kind of in-between...want to do it....don't want to rip & sew...!!