Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does quilting bring you comfort?

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is upstairs. My family knows when I say"I'm upstairs", they know what I'm doing. I can go into the messyest sewing room, sit down by my machine with a cup of coffee and just sit there. I'm also at peace. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Not only does every aspect of quilting bring me comfort, I actually seem to go into withdrawels if I don't do something quilting related for several days in a row.
    You and me both. If I can't quilt for awhile, I get very grouchy!

Quilting is comforting unless I am trying to finish something for the TV program that I need to film for the program the next day Then it's push, push, push.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Yes it does bring me comfort..its funny how I can get such pleasure from some really basic things like that pefect crisp point, a beautifully pressed block..yet I find ironing any thing else a real chore.
    I have had days that it brought stress.. not many but when it does its time to do something else.

Absolutely!!! I've been feel poorly the last frw days with a sore throat and I told my daiughter, "I'll be glad when this is over so I can get back to quilting. I'm alway wanting to get the current quilt completed so I can start the next one that I have in my mind.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Blog Entries
    I just had this conversation with my hubby today. I was telling him how I love every part of quilting... starting with the inspiration all they way through to the finished product! QUILTING ROCKS!
    Quilted Hugs from me to you!! Check out my Blog!!
    http://www.lisasquiltgarden.blogspot.com/

It is my stress relief along with this board

I don't know if it brings me comfort but it is threaputic in that when I'm stressing on something I can go in and do some peicing and lose myself in that and forget everything else if just for a little bit.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

Another wholehearted yes here. Especially when I am doing piecing on the vintage treadle machine. Don't know why but I find that especially comforting and relaxing. Maybe it has something to do with connecting with our quilting roots!
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Oh leatheflea, I went through the exact same thing. Quilting made my mind slow down and kept me grounded. I was nice to know I could make something beautiful when I wasn't feeling so beautiful myself.

Quilting has saved my sanity. When I became disabled, I felt like I had no reason to get up in the morning..When I began to quilt, I felt that I had a purpose, and am now working on quilts for all 13 grandbabies...Before I was quilting, I was totally depressed and feeling worthless due to my health limitations

I love to piece. Taking up piecing fulfilled my need to get back to sewing.....a lifelong love .
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Sewing soothes me! If the corners don't match just so, the seam ripper is my friend! This would frustrate some, but keeps me calm and focused....

Reading all these comments, we all relate to the comforts of quilting. I just returned from a 2 week trip to Florida to update details on my parent's care. They are still mostly well, living on their own, but now require just a bit of outside help. My sis and I arranged for everything they now need - of course, I had no time to quilt while I was there and I truly missed being able to retreat to my 'lady cave' for some much-needed down time. Now that I am home again, I've picked up my needle and thread and I'm one happy camper!

I,also, find quilting to to be a great therapy.

WE need to start a skill exchange. The part I like the best is handquilting. Give me a premarked, basted white on white kingsize quilt and I am in heaven. I love the look and feel of fabric but cutting it up and putting it back together again gets on my nerves. I volunteer at our local Senior Center. We make quilts for them to raffle off to benefit the center's programs. I am currently trying to piece together our next top. My last nerve is screaming. I have learned to do the "grunt" work like the cutting, ironing, piecing, layering, marking and basting but it is like necessary housework to me. I enjoy that part about as much as I do scrubbing the toliet. The handquilting part is the reward for all that frustrating work.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

I don't know if I'd say quilting gives me "comfort" exactly. I enjoy it and I'm obsessed with it and I think about it all the time. There's so much I want to do that it actually causes me stress! As others have said, if I can't quilt, or do something creative just about every day I start to feel like I'm going to explode or something!
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

I quilt for my own enjoyment, even if I am making something for someone else - so yes, it brings me comfort, and contentment and some kind of satisfaction. I like some of the parts better than others, but really don't mind any of them. Except the mistakes of course, but, even ripping sometimes can be relaxing.

My daughter and her two children, 4 & 15 months, suddenly moved in with us in the last two weeks. We changed my sewing room into a play room and moved my stuff into our bedroom. I allow my daughter 1-2 hours to get away to study. My husband goes out for a couple of beers each afternoon. I told my husband yesterday I need to have an hour or so to myself each day to quilt. I need to quilt because I find it so relaxing.

Most definitely! I call my sewing machine my Calgon, it "Takes me away"! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I love to make things, so I'm completely at peace when I'm sewing, quilting, knitting, or crocheting. There is something really wonderful about taking pieces of fabric or yarn and making something fun or useful with it.

Agree with all of the above. It's all so relaxing to me. I get lost and the brain goes into another sphere where thoughts are clear, heart is happy, no stress. All very therapeutic for me.

quilting is a very much a comfort to me, I can go to the sewing room and just working on a project makes me feel so much better. Constructing and getting my mind in a peaceful place is very comforting. I would say that quilting is better then going to the doctor and getting any kind of medicine. Quilting is a comfort.

I find every aspect of quilting relaxing and satisfying: I like the "stress" of figuring out a new design, then the calming mindlessness of cutting and piecing, and the Zen of handquilting. I like machine quilting less than the other parts of the process, and I don't enjoy ANY of it if I am being interrupted or otherwise pestered. My only child is now old enough to entertain herself for a couple of hours, so I am back to enjoying quilting even if someone else is present in the house with me! (It was quite worthless as stress release for a few years - anticipating the next interruption was enough to reduce the joy.)

I also find that I enjoy quilting much more if I can tell myself that my chores are done* - quilting as reward!

Alison

*I just have to be able to tell myself they are done; they don't have to actually be done!
    Last edited by alisonquilts; 06-13-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Quilting feeds my soul and makes me feel complete.
    Quilt outside of the box!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast