Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does quilting bring you comfort?

Yes, beyond the comments that have been made already about the many aspects of quilting, I also find these relaxing, stress free activities related to quilting: I love going to the library, browse through my favorite quilt books and take several home, I can "park myself" at a comfy chair, sofa, or bed and am "content, calm, and at peace with the world." I do the same thing when I am in a quilt shop. I don't have to buy even a needle or a fat square. I also love "music" as I am quilting. I can forget who I am and where I am. Then, seeing all the quilts that are on this quilting board, going to a quilt show, watching a PBS quilt master, and LEARNING brings JOY.
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    I've realized recently that most everything about quilting brings me comfort. Not just the end result - a quilt. The fabrics, colors, the processes of washing/drying fabrics, ironing them, cutting them, sewing together, squaring them, making/applying binding, on and on. It seems almost therapeutic. I can have a less than perfect day or specific problem and find great comfort and restoration in the quilting world. How about you?
    Absolutely it is therapeutic.... I am alone with my thoughts... I am creating something for someone else, be it family or for charity etc. I also find the fellowship of my guild friends and the QB very comforting. We all are walking through this world together experiencing the same life events be they happy or sad. Yes, I find great comfort in all my quilting activities no matter what or where

Love this thread! I agree with all who agree it gives comfort, pleasure, creative outlet, and satisfaction. Had to clean up my living/quilt room over a week ago for company coming, and now am itching to pull everything out and mess it up again. It's supposed to rain today, so I hope to get in my walk and then get going! But there are so many interesting topics on this board today....
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

My son was killed in a motorcycle accident in 2007. The week between his death and memorial service I started cutting out and putting together a quilt using beautiful calming fabrics. I don't know if I would have survived if it hadn't been for the hours I spent making this quilt. I called it "Sanity". I decided to hand quilt it. It is now in a basket in my bedroom and not completed. But that is OK. Every so often I will get it out and work on it for a while and then put it away for a while. It holds many tears and thoughts and if I never finish it, that is OK also. Most of the time quilting is such a happy time for me now. I love going into my quilting room on a sunny day and working on a quilt. As I am 72 and long retired,
    I like having something to get up for each day. Having a quilt waiting for me is a good reason to get up and greet the day.

Quilting keeps me sane, fulfills my need to create, & challenges my mind. Doing a bed quilt or lap quilt takes care of the need in me to be practical and doing something "artsy" takes care of the need to create something unique. I love touching, looking at fabric & dreaming of the possibilities.

Yes, absolutely. And I love working on charity quilts because then I get that little extra comfort from knowing it's for somebody else who will appreciate my work.

yes yes yes.............I live with my daughter and if I didn't have my quilting I'd go nuts with what goes on around here. Did I mention she has a 15 year old daughter that just started driving and I have to go evertime she wants to go somewhere?

Mostly, yes. But I'm finishing a quilt for a show next weekend, that I'm really sick of...everything has gone wrong - I've cut pieces wrong, seamed them together wrong, screwed up the quilting and had to take it out. If this weren't for a show, it would be in a box waiting for another time. But I have to keep going, and I'm about ready to spit nails with it!!
    But, 95% of the time quilting is wonderfully peaceful and relaxing!

Oh yes. I like it so well that I don't watch tv anymore. I used to quilt years ago and quit due to family and job obligations. Now my kids are grown and I only work part time so I have plenty of time to quilt. At present I am making tops for my husband, 2 kids, 4 grandkids, and 9
    great grandkids. After I get the tops made I will decide how to quilt them. I thought about taking the full sized ones to my LAQ and trying to do the twin sized ones on my machine at home.

Blog Entries
    I find that before I self taught myself to quilt, that knitting and crocheting were "sanity savors" as well as doing something constructive. I have three daughters (not one of the sews), and I made most of their clothes, still do sewing for g/daughters now. After I retired 10 years ago, I bought a "Quilting 101" book and learned the basics of quilting from that book. I am a widow and have lived alone for the past five years. Quiltiing is a comforting or any type of handwork is very comforting to me. When I hear women say they are "bored" I just don't know what to think. I stay busy all the time doing my "hobbies". I agree with everything else that has been mentioned in this thread. I love this board too!!!
    MaryB

Yes, yes and yes. During the last year of tears, moving, separation from my hubby, quilting was the one thing that provides smiles and sunshine.
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Absolutely! I always joke it is my 'therapy'. I was out to lunch with a bunch of moms a few years ago and everyone was talking about medications, anti-anxiety & anti-depression, etc. As we were all moms of kids with autisim, many of whom were on meds, I thought we were talking about the kid's meds. I was wrong. They were talking about what they, the moms, were taking. I said sewing was my therapy & med. Even with the price of fabric it's cheaper... and way fewer side effects.
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by bunniequilter View Post
    Quilting feeds my soul and makes me feel complete.
    High 5 to that!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

I'm with you. It's a real stress buster

Absolutely, it is my stress -reliever - my creative outlet - I can't imagine a day without touching fabric or thinking about it - I love it and it calms me tremendously.

Blog Entries
    It is amazing how quilting and fabric can make you feel. I have always said that quilting is my stress releiver and it is. Some days if I am just out of sorts, I may not feel up to cutting or sewing, but I can just sit in my sewing room and feel a calm come over. I will move fabric around, look at it and think about what it could be one day. Flip through a quilt book and dream... it just takes all the bad away..... love it!
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Oh my! Sewing has TOTALLY saved my sanity these last two+ years. When I'm busy in the sewing room, my mind is at peace. It helped so much that my husband spent his week's vacation last year fixing a sewing room for me. He's added a TV, blue ray movie player, collected tables for my machines, put in flooring and extra lighting - the list goes on and on! My sewing room is my little haven that I retreat to so that I can regroup and regain my footing. In the process, I create little things that I consider beautiful, if not useful! LOL

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It's cheaper than a therapist and more enjoyable. YES from me!

As soon as I open my main stash cupboard, and start choosing fabrics, a calming feeling comes over me. Everything, from start to finish, even the "re-sewing" is comforting to me. I can slow down and take my time with no deadlines. Quilting is my peace.

For me it's my music. My mother and grandmother both played the piano, my middle brother inherited their talent for music and they could play any instrument they picked up. My older brother was a stone carver. The only music I can play is on the DC player, but my quilts are my artistic talent. I, like you, enjoy the choosing the fabric, deciding on a pattern and seeing to come to life. I love making quilts and giving them is a way to show how much I care for those around me.
    Jeanie

I began quilting two years ago after I lost my beloved husband to cancer. It became my lifeline then and it is my lifeline now, as I am selling our home and moving into a mobile. The last room to be packed will be my sewing room and it will be the first room unpacked when I arrive in my new home.

Blog Entries
    I love to stay in my sewing room all day. But I have chronic back pain...so I just charge on thru and try to relax the best I can...when it gets too bad, I switch to the computer and the QB...nothing helps with the pain...take tylenol once a day and sew in spurts..but I still love it all...

It is has been my zen! After batteling with Lupus, RA, AS and IBM I was affraid I was never going to be able to do the things I used to love doing(sewing,quilting,machine embroider,trining and showing horse and playing Irish Whiste and Fiddle). The one thing I can do now is create and sew/quilt and embroider. No more Lupus fog and my body has finnaly calmed down with monthly infusions. So I just can not explain how elated I ma to be able to do this again. It is my only outle. With out it, I would go crazy and depression would suck me up. I hope I can keep on with this for a long time.

It usually gives me joy to be creating something in fabric or glass, unless it's being particularly difficult and then it can become a bit stressful. I just have to walk away for a bit, mull it over, find a solution and it becomes joyful again. Colors and textures can bring me a great deal of peace.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

I get lost in some of the stuff I do in a dreamy way, and I know all is well in the universe.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast