Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it really matter >

Does it really matter

Does it really matter

Old 03-08-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Linda View Post
The poly will melt if you need to iron. I learned the hard way. Glad it was only on one block.
Polyester thread will not melt...I think you are thinking of nylon thread...which will crumble with age & melt with a cotton setting iron. It's easy to confuse the two.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:18 PM

No, sewing cotton fabric with polyester threads, as they are made today, will NOT cut the cotton. It will outlast cotton. Many of the replies here seem to be repeating things that may have been true in the 50's..and even the 60's...but poly thread has changed a lot over the years. It's perfectly fine to use on cotton. If you look at your Coats n Clark thread...it's cotton wrapped polyester...because 100%, 50 wt cotton will not hold up to repeated washings and use.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:27 PM

I use what I have on hand that is the weight I want. Ask me again in 50 yrs & I'll tell you if it was the right choice.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by captlynhall View Post
I have been told and read in several quilting books that poly, being stronger that cotton, will cut through the cotton fabric after time. So I use cotton for cotton. I wanted some variegated thread one time, and found some beautiful colors at my local quilt fabric shop. I never thought to ask if it was cotton, just assumed it was. When I got it home, I quickly realized the feel was completely different. It felt slick. Checking more closely, found that it was polyester. I still have it but never used it.

For hand quilting, I prefer YLI coated hand quilting cotton.
We all need to check the publication date of some of the reference books we use...patterns do not change and SOME methods do not change, but products do...today's poly is not the poly of my learning days..
Old 03-09-2015, 02:18 AM

Of course it doesn't matter it's your quilt and you can do and use what you like, that is why there are so many unemployed Quilt Police I used to use the poly covered thread about 10 years ago and my quilts are still going strong I have changed to Aurifil because I wanted to as my quilting has changed but I would still use that poly covered thread if pennies demanded, so enjoy your quilting and forget about the quilt police.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

I use whatever I have. I have some of the new poly clear thread. Haven't used it for a while because it is hard to see to thread the machine. I used it for quilting and never ironed it. There are no quilt police. Some have very big opinions on what everyone should use.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:59 AM

Thank-you Bobbielinks post #33, a great overview from your experiences!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:24 AM

Thank-you for starting this thread, as I value the opinions and experiences of the members of this board so very much!

I have used "
Sulky Premium Invisible Thread" I buy it on sale at Joanne's or via eBay. I've used it on on several of my wall hangings when I've wanted to stitch in the ditch or appliqued pieces. I've ironed over this thread as the spool says it will not melt and indeed it's never melted even with hot cotton setting. Also my machine has never broken this invisible thread :0).

For piecing I use Connecting Threads cone thread or Coats and Clark all purpose, cost being a huge factor to me. I don't notice substantially any more lint build-up and again my machine likes these threads. I have made it a habit to clean my machine after every project.

I also have always used the same thread top and bobbin, no reason or 'rule' just seemed to me logical.

I don't kid myself, my quilting is for my pleasure and all of my quilts are gifted. I don't handle rejection well, so I would never ever imagine entering any of my quilts into any competition. :0)

Last edited by onaemtnest; 03-09-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:32 AM

My understanding is this controversy all started when it was felt that the polyester thread was stronger than the cotton fabric. Therefore, the fabric would rip and the thread would be stronger if both were stressed. I have never had any problems like that. It is "quilt police" kind of stuff! I've got better things to worry about while enjoying my quilts!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:20 AM

There is nothing wrong with poly thread. Today's poly does not melt and the thread does not cut cotton fabric. I use poly and cotton both, depending on the color I am using and is available. You need to go to Superior Threads web site and there is several tutorials about thread and their use. Good luck.