Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does setting your seams with an iron after sewing really make a difference?

That's the one step I pay special attention to. The one time I didn't, my block looked like a dish rag. It's still in the orphan box.

Blog Entries
    First learned about this step in a jacket tailoring class and since then have applied to all sewing.
    Of course, if you are making a garment a la Free People or one the the other modern labels, you
    wouldn't want to do that step as it would look too finished lol.

I've started doing that and it does make a difference in the final quilt.

Blog Entries
    I do press seams most of the time, but sometimes, I use a plastic gizmo (don't know the name) to finger press them. Recently I added a nightstand to the left of my sewing table when I keep a padded board and my iron. It reminds me to press.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carron View Post
    Do you set your just sewn seams with an iron?
    I am wondering what is the reason for that extra step.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I have always struggled with matching seams, starting at the cutting mat, and finishing the sewn seam with a mist of "Best Press" to relax the fabric and a dry iron sure makes a difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    I do press seams most of the time, but sometimes, I use a plastic gizmo (don't know the name) to finger press them. Recently I added a nightstand to the left of my sewing table when I keep a padded board and my iron. It reminds me to press.
    Setting seams is not the same as pressing them and can only be done with a hot iron. It's when you press the iron down flat on the seam just as it was sewn, before you press it open or to one side. It gets rid of any little puckers and sinks the seam threads down into the fabric, making for much more accuracy and a clean, sharp seam line.

I always set my seams and it makes a huge difference. The only disadvantage to setting is if you have to remove stitching; it's harder with sunken threads. I always set my seams using a steam setting and no starch (I never use starch). The precision it adds is SO worth the bit of extra effort.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I press the completed block but I don't usually press during the construction of the block. I find that when I'm nesting seams together I get better matches if I don't press first.

Yes, it keeps your project flat, neat and it's a lot easier to work with.

Blog Entries
    Again, I learn so much here. I didn't know the term setting the seam - now having read all responses I think I have it. So , I should set the seams as I piece, then press the block when complete. The other question is which is better pressing to the side or open? I only pressed open on OBW quilts. So much to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Setting seams is not the same as pressing them and can only be done with a hot iron. It's when you press the iron down flat on the seam just as it was sewn, before you press it open or to one side. It gets rid of any little puckers and sinks the seam threads down into the fabric, making for much more accuracy and a clean, sharp seam line.

I always set my seams and it makes a huge difference. The only disadvantage to setting is if you have to remove stitching; it's harder with sunken threads. I always set my seams using a steam setting and no starch (I never use starch). The precision it adds is SO worth the bit of extra effort.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Yes I do I saw it on Fons and Porter and it does seem to help

I didn't use to, but since I've gotten more serious with LAQ I do take the extra step and pay more attention to my seams all in one direction and pre plan the way they should go.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

I agree. It does seem to flatten/smooth out the seam line a lot.

When I actually do get around to making things, there are several "extra" steps that I usually take that are so worth it to me. (washing the fabric before cutting it, pressing as I go, I also generally do not use starch - I think the fabric should be able to "stand on its own"- pressing the top and backing "one more time" before sandwiching the item - one last time to check for glitches)

I'm sorry. I'm such a novice that I often don't know what you are talking about...this is one of those times. Can someone tell me what this means? Please.
    Thanks,
    Gloria

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by geeblay627e120 View Post
    I'm sorry. I'm such a novice that I often don't know what you are talking about...this is one of those times. Can someone tell me what this means? Please.
    Thanks,
    Gloria
    Try googling "setting a seam" - there are several videos and drawings that make it clearer than trying to explain it in words.

It's a very simple and easy thing to do - it just takes a few moments extra -

Setting a hot iron (I use steam) on a seam before pressing it open or to one side - is about the simplest explanation I can give - for "setting a seam"

Blog Entries
    Yes, I learned this on this very board. I have sewn most of my life but in quilting I seemed to have trouble all the time matching my seams but since I set them first things are much easier. I think it flattens the thread and cloth together so everything goes together better. I know it is well worth my time to do this.

Blog Entries
    It's kind of like putting on my seat belt, Just a natural thing now. Does seam (get it?) to make a difference.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries

Red face

I have done this step since I learned from one of the quilting programs on TV. I do think it makes the block lay flat and makes for easier quilting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    setting your seams causes them to sink into the fabric and gives you more precise edges. the blocks will lay flatter- and be neater....also helps that 1/4" seam more (right on)
    if you don't bother to set your seam before pressing to one side or the other the excess can be 1/8"---and that 8 times equals a whole inch!
    so, if you are looking for precision- technical perfection- setting your seams is an important step
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

I learned to do this when learning to sew clothing, and have just carried on doing it when quilting. It does make a great deal of difference and so I don't think it is an extra step - it is just one step in the process.

I always set (press) the seams first. My high school home ec teacher always said, "Sew, press, sew, press" and that was the best lesson learned and have stuck that in my mind whenever sewing anything. It does make a difference in the final project.

I do because it helps me keep my seams more even.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I always set my seams with an iron. It does make points crisper and everything goes together much better. I was just
    taught that in a quilting class back in the '70's. I know people who never press but that isn't for me.

I like the finish of the seam when I have pressed it. Lays flatter and more to the right size. Otherwise the quilt top looks lumpy.
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.

Blog Entries
    I always set the seams first because that is the way I was taught. My teacher explained that setting the seams "buried" the thread into the fabric, and made the seam flatter (thus reducing bulk) when pressed to one side.

Thanks for the tip.

I always set my seams first as it buries the thread a little deeper into the fabric.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast