Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: not sure how to lay this out.

  1. #1
    Super Member sahm4605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    2,240

    not sure how to lay this out.

    What do you guys think? The pattern is called hidden wells. I did it out of a jelly roll. It's not as nice as I have done before but it works with the jelly roll. I have two layouts that I have found to be okay but not sure about it. I have even thought about turning it into two tops. what do you guys think? how would you do it. Which way do you guys think is best for this top? As it sits now the top should be around 36/48" but I am not sure about the layout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

  2. #2
    Senior Member imdelagarza62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Posts
    515
    I think I would put the darker ones in the center and fade out with the lighter ones.
    Ilma

  3. #3
    Super Member Mad Mimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by imdelagarza62 View Post
    I think I would put the darker ones in the center and fade out with the lighter ones.
    I like that suggestion.
    Sheila N.

    When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

  4. #4
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,673
    This may sound wacky, but have you tried mixing up all the blocks (and by that I mean don't put 4 light ones together, and 4 dark ones together like you have - mix it up)? I think the problem you are seeing is that there's such a dramatic difference between the two, and if they're all mixed up it might look great.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Posts
    861
    Blog Entries
    1
    personally, i would not attempt to layout anything this scrappy with the matching blocks right together...move them around, take pix... the pictures take you further away and you can judge better... they would be great as stated by dunster...or putting in a unifying sash that would let them all relate to the same thing ... can's state for sure because of computer color differences, but a med dark gray would make them ALL get lighter and brighter by comparison... you would benefit by just a little more contrast.... but as i said, that may be my computer flattening them a bit...the deep coral is the brightest color on my screen... if you have something in gray...lay them on it but put a few inches apart to simulate the sashing... maybe they all just need a frame... it is really interesting and i'm sure you will trust your eye when you see the one that's right...

  6. #6
    Super Member Buckeye Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Monroe, IN
    Posts
    2,285
    I agree....mix them up.....it will bring sense to all of the different fabrics/colors....a more scrappy look than a planned look that isn't working

  7. #7
    Senior Member fatquarters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    841
    Blog Entries
    2
    Id like to mix them up too.
    fatquarters

  8. #8
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30,820
    Can they be arranged kind of like the star spin pattern or pin wheels? If not, I would mix up the backgrounds and emphasize the wells. Very pretty blocks!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,114
    I like that pattern!

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,114
    I like that pattern!

  11. #11
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,804
    I'm with Dunster. I would try to mix it up and see how it looks.

  12. #12
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,315
    Blog Entries
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    This may sound wacky, but have you tried mixing up all the blocks (and by that I mean don't put 4 light ones together, and 4 dark ones together like you have - mix it up)? I think the problem you are seeing is that there's such a dramatic difference between the two, and if they're all mixed up it might look great.
    this was my first thought as well
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?


  13. #13
    Super Member quiltymom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Springfield, Mich(Battle Creek)
    Posts
    3,243
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
    I like that suggestion.
    I agree!!!
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

  14. #14
    Senior Member pinkberrykay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SOO, MI
    Posts
    825
    Defiantly mix them up, I love the fabric!!

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,054
    Did you try using sashing and mixing up the blocks??

  16. #16
    Super Member Wunder-Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by deemail View Post
    personally, i would not attempt to layout anything this scrappy with the matching blocks right together...move them around, take pix... the pictures take you further away and you can judge better... they would be great as stated by dunster...or putting in a unifying sash that would let them all relate to the same thing ... can's state for sure because of computer color differences, but a med dark gray would make them ALL get lighter and brighter by comparison... you would benefit by just a little more contrast.... but as i said, that may be my computer flattening them a bit...the deep coral is the brightest color on my screen... if you have something in gray...lay them on it but put a few inches apart to simulate the sashing... maybe they all just need a frame... it is really interesting and i'm sure you will trust your eye when you see the one that's right...
    This is what I'd recommend as well - both layouts you've shown read as "stark" - mixing up the blocks (taking photos each time so you can decide and recreate the one you decide on - ask me why I strongly recommend this...!) - would provide some nice movement for your eye and actually blend the blocks better.

    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

  17. #17
    Junior Member Christine George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    175
    I'm with you dunster, mix them up. And since they're so similar maybe some sashing between?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.