Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does setting your seams with an iron after sewing really make a difference? >

Does setting your seams with an iron after sewing really make a difference?

Does setting your seams with an iron after sewing really make a difference?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
I do press seams most of the time, but sometimes, I use a plastic gizmo (don't know the name) to finger press them. Recently I added a nightstand to the left of my sewing table when I keep a padded board and my iron. It reminds me to press.
Setting seams is not the same as pressing them and can only be done with a hot iron. It's when you press the iron down flat on the seam just as it was sewn, before you press it open or to one side. It gets rid of any little puckers and sinks the seam threads down into the fabric, making for much more accuracy and a clean, sharp seam line.

I always set my seams and it makes a huge difference. The only disadvantage to setting is if you have to remove stitching; it's harder with sunken threads. I always set my seams using a steam setting and no starch (I never use starch). The precision it adds is SO worth the bit of extra effort.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:56 AM

I press the completed block but I don't usually press during the construction of the block. I find that when I'm nesting seams together I get better matches if I don't press first.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 AM

Yes, it keeps your project flat, neat and it's a lot easier to work with.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 AM

Again, I learn so much here. I didn't know the term setting the seam - now having read all responses I think I have it. So , I should set the seams as I piece, then press the block when complete. The other question is which is better pressing to the side or open? I only pressed open on OBW quilts. So much to learn.
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Setting seams is not the same as pressing them and can only be done with a hot iron. It's when you press the iron down flat on the seam just as it was sewn, before you press it open or to one side. It gets rid of any little puckers and sinks the seam threads down into the fabric, making for much more accuracy and a clean, sharp seam line.

I always set my seams and it makes a huge difference. The only disadvantage to setting is if you have to remove stitching; it's harder with sunken threads. I always set my seams using a steam setting and no starch (I never use starch). The precision it adds is SO worth the bit of extra effort.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:09 AM

Yes I do I saw it on Fons and Porter and it does seem to help
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 AM

I didn't use to, but since I've gotten more serious with LAQ I do take the extra step and pay more attention to my seams all in one direction and pre plan the way they should go.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

I agree. It does seem to flatten/smooth out the seam line a lot.

When I actually do get around to making things, there are several "extra" steps that I usually take that are so worth it to me. (washing the fabric before cutting it, pressing as I go, I also generally do not use starch - I think the fabric should be able to "stand on its own"- pressing the top and backing "one more time" before sandwiching the item - one last time to check for glitches)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 AM

I'm sorry. I'm such a novice that I often don't know what you are talking about...this is one of those times. Can someone tell me what this means? Please.
Thanks,
Gloria
Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by geeblay627e120 View Post
I'm sorry. I'm such a novice that I often don't know what you are talking about...this is one of those times. Can someone tell me what this means? Please.
Thanks,
Gloria
Try googling "setting a seam" - there are several videos and drawings that make it clearer than trying to explain it in words.

It's a very simple and easy thing to do - it just takes a few moments extra -

Setting a hot iron (I use steam) on a seam before pressing it open or to one side - is about the simplest explanation I can give - for "setting a seam"
Old 11-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Yes, I learned this on this very board. I have sewn most of my life but in quilting I seemed to have trouble all the time matching my seams but since I set them first things are much easier. I think it flattens the thread and cloth together so everything goes together better. I know it is well worth my time to do this.