Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
does steel wool really help?? >

does steel wool really help??

does steel wool really help??

Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 PM
mim

Oh -- That is a good idea -- storing my trowels, etc in sand. Thank you -- Now - strange as it may seem -- I have to go BUY some sand. I may live on the Atlantic Ocean -- but it is not sandy here -- rocky and lots of clay. I may have some emery here -- unless it is in WA. I remember buying a packet at a quilt show years ago and didn't ever do something with it.

A lot of people raise sheep near here -- I will see if I can get a small bit of it
Mim

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
As I mentioned up above sand works well and is cheap. It is very abrasive, we use it to store our garden hand implements in, helps reduce rust and as you put metal into sand and remove it it will sharpen your edges. If it is completely dry there is no danger of smell or mold. It is also heavy enough you aren't always bumping it off the table or such. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Sand for garden tools
Emery to sharpen pins
Recently saw paper towel spindle used for large cone thread

As soon as I think I have all I'll want/ need, some bright person on this board gives me another idea & another & another :wink:
Old 09-25-2011, 01:08 PM

As I mentioned up above sand works well and is cheap. It is very abrasive, we use it to store our garden hand implements in, helps reduce rust and as you put metal into sand and remove it it will sharpen your edges. If it is completely dry there is no danger of smell or mold. It is also heavy enough you aren't always bumping it off the table or such. Try it, you'll like it!
I've had a different experience with sand. I used fine sand for parakeets.
I liked it for the weight but doesn't do any good sharpening them. In fact
some of my pins were pretty dull that's why I made the steel pincushion to
see how that works.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 PM

I use sand. Works pretty well.
It works great! Just think sand paper. And if you collect it in your travels, it is a wonderful memory as well. My pin cushion is filled with sand from the banks of the Icicle River and my pins have stayed sharp!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:30 PM
mim

I have white sand from Destin, FL -- I got it from a sand dune in the middle of the island -- not near the salt water.

I will try it on some of my straight pins that have tiny burrs.

Mim

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I use sand. Works pretty well.
It works great! Just think sand paper. And if you collect it in your travels, it is a wonderful memory as well. My pin cushion is filled with sand from the banks of the Icicle River and my pins have stayed sharp!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:52 PM

We have a bucket of sand with oil in it for my hand garden tools. Keeps the rust off and cleans them very nice. And you always know where they are!! Neat trick if you have a messy garage!
Old 09-25-2011, 02:00 PM

One of my husband's ancient "Popular Mechanics" magazines recommended mixing used motor oil into a pail of sand and working the tools up and down several times to clean and oil. (1940's edition.)

Originally Posted by mim
Oh -- That is a good idea -- storing my trowels, etc in sand. Thank you -- Now - strange as it may seem -- I have to go BUY some sand. I may live on the Atlantic Ocean -- but it is not sandy here -- rocky and lots of clay. I may have some emery here -- unless it is in WA. I remember buying a packet at a quilt show years ago and didn't ever do something with it.

A lot of people raise sheep near here -- I will see if I can get a small bit of it
Mim

Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Wow, I find it easier to shop the sales on notions and then as they bend, nick or get to dull I toss them in the garbage. Hummmm, I might try using some of these ideas.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 AM
mim

I never worried about rusting and getting dull before -- until we started leaving things for 6 months and going to the other coast. I will be the first to say that we have the best of both worlds. We each paid our dues on the way though. It's finally our turn and we are together to enjoy it. I treasure every day we have.
Mim