Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your hubby also sew or quilt?

No, but he is a great designer. Maybe he is afraid of showing me up ;-)

Mine does not quilt, but he can sew, he has made car seat covers, boat things, together we even made a sail for our ice boat. he has his own machine and i am not allowed to use it LOL

Blog Entries
    Mine will do simple sewing, but looked a bit hesitant when I tried to teach him how to use the rotary cutter. He normally isn't much of a shopper, but when he's with me, I spend twice as much! What he really is great at is helping me sandwich the quilts! He gets out more wrinkles than I do! LOL

Mine sew or quilt - you have got to be kidding me. Will not go into a fabric shop with me. But I must say he does not care how much I spend on material (of course I keep it within our means) and he is the one who just got me the brother SE350. Will attempt to make me anything I need to make things easier for me to quilt. Will help me match colors and such as that. And he always praises my work. He cooks but does not clean. All in all, he is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by ann clare
    No, but he often makes the tea.
    Ok, now that's a handy hubby as I do love my tea!
    kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

No-
    But lately he has been full of all sorts of "you should" and takes credit when his idea works. :lol: I keep offering to share my machine~but not my stash! He would have to get his own! :lol:

No, but I have invited him into my sewing room. He came in there one time. He has his space and I have mine, besides he might find out where I hide my chocolate stash,lol!!

Blog Entries
    No way. He kept me occupied during our early years of our marriage going fishing and hunting with him. Now he tends to grumble, that I don't want to do that with him any more, all I want to do is quilt. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    No...but he cuts all my fabric into fat quarters, cuts all my blocks, puts together my Cathedral Window kits, irons the fusible web to the fabric, cuts about 50% of my appliques (my mother does alot too), helps me gather fabric when I go to Marshall Dry Goods and anything else I need help doing. He even does house cleaning but he won't cook. :lol: He's a keeper. :thumbup:
    Well you did ask!!! LMAO! :wink:
    Wow Marsye...I though my husband was the best :!: Mine will weigh in on fabric choices, color ideas, pattern ideas and he will help with house cleaning and is a pretty darn good cook, but he won't get near my rotary cutter or sewing machine.
    I know what your secret is: You are so funny, your husband loves to be around you...who wouldn't :D :D

Not only does my DH do the LA'ing here, he can also make & stitch on binding, he cuts very well, will iron fabric, uses and loves the embroidery machine, does fabulous wood working stuff, builds furniture, builds guns, enjoys reloading his own ammunition, and will help with the housework and cooking. Oh heck yes he is a keeper! Ohhh & he loves to go to Quilt Shows with me & will drive me to Dallas or Kansas to go fabric shopping if I want.

My DH is the outdoor man, basement man and garage man. He does help a lot with the housework, especially when we entertain! No sewing or cooking for him. He takes naps in the car at the quilting stores!

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! But he does do dishes and mops.

My FI knows how, made himself drawstring marble bags when he was a kid.

Yes, my hubby sews. He is a Parachute Rigger in the Army and has to sew for his trade.

He initially had a Juki medium duty inset machine, and then he bought a mitsubishi medium duty for $50AU from a friend who wanted to get it out of his garage. He bought the second one so he didn't have to keep changing thread. Poor baby.

He sews at home quite a bit and has made a small home business. He has a website if you want to look at what he does.
    www.aussiespecops.com
    Mainly it is stuff for soldiers, bags etc.
    He appreciates the quilting and understands my need for material and threads. He has also begun to teach my 15 son who has made his own toiletry bag and backpack for school under his guidance.
    At least he understands my need for a 'good' sewing machine and he chose the more expensive Janome I'm getting for its durability etc.
    He also keeps the cutting table nice and clean and tidy since I 'taught' him how...LOL.

Blog Entries
    William won't quilt or sew...he claims it would drive him batty, and it might! This is a man that will straighten the prints hanging in the doctor's office while he waits for me! :lol: If he had points that didn't match he'd go absolutely insane! I do keep trying to talk him into it, but no go. He'd rather just buy me machines and make them work right!

I'm ok with that! ;)

Blog Entries
    What a lot of lucky ladies here! My DH does absolutely nothing around the house. But I can't complain. He never tells me no to anything I want.

Not at all. He has no interest in it and that's fine with me. He has his RC planes, boats, jet skis, trains, cars, trucks, jets, helicopters, hovercraft, swamp buggies, etc. and I'm amazed by what he can do with them. He's amazed at what I can do with a sewing machine and some fabric. It works out good for us that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ann clare
    No, but he often makes the tea.
    Oh that is so cute (sweet). :-D

No, he doesn't sew or quilt, but he loves that I do and tells people about my quilts sometimes more than I want him to. Frankly, I think once he learned how I can mix up colors and make them look good, he got over his aversion to anything but white paint on the walls, and he's pretty proud of that! And he has no problem with me upgrading machines -- he has a lot more invested in camera gear and cars so we just don't talk much about cost. Our hobbies are sanity savers.

I am still looking for a girlfriend who can quilt better than me.

And yes I cook, clean, replace the engine in the van, rebuild transmissions, have a woodshop, a darkroom, garden, bike, hike, watch sports, and all those things that get you through life as a single man and father.

tim in san jose

Blog Entries
    You rock Tim!!!!

No, but my husband helps me with the design. He is very good at that

My Husband can sew He is a retired sewing machine mechanic and the key word here is retired he will fix something for me but I hear about it for a WHILE . He use to love to sew and fix my machines but now all he want to do is fish and play with our 17 month old great grandson

I taught my husband to sew on a button a number of years ago. He is very artistic and loves Xmas, so he started making ornaments of his own design from felt, beads and embroidery floss. Then he would do simple mending tasks by hand for his clients at work, mending little rips in seams or ripped out pockets, etc.

Last fall he started looking at sewing machines. He studied my Husqvarna and asked me all about the embroidery stitches and designs, but I really don't do that--I piece and FMQ some. I got a little nervous when he was using my machine. One day he did something funky and thought he had broken it and ran it out to the technician to get it fixed before I got home (whew!).

So he bought a Husqvarna Designer I (used) and started doing embroidery. Before he bought his machine he researched all the different brands on the Internet. He really wanted a Pfaff, but we don't have a local dealer. We had a couple of older machines that needed some work and he couldn't resist opening them up to see how they work, etc.

Long story short--he's now taking a course in basic sewing machine repair and I'm so excited for him, because he can get some of his questions answered (hopefully) that he's always asking me!

He's always drawn quilt patterns, but he doesn't ever piece them. He's always been very creative, drawing, designing, manipulating photos in neat ways, etc.

He is a gem (and I'm keeping him)!

No, but he is an increadible woodworker. He make beautiful furniture and awesome quilt racks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast