Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: to the dogs..oh well

Blog Entries
    I gave my youngest nephew 3 quilts all different up to his 5 th birthdate. One evening when baby sitting I took him to bed. He had a cabin bed and had pushed the tops of the quilts under the mattress and the quilts were hanging down to th floor. Did I like his den. It was great?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalisa View Post
    My dear friend's son let it slip recently that they use the quilt I made them in their dog bed.
    Most might hear that and flip a lid. But I've been a member of QB for a while now and I knew it would happen eventually. lol..I've arrived. *bow*

I know where it lands won't matter. But keeping someone warm (be that a stranger or a fur baby) is what truly matters. And in that, I don't even care.

I have been their my self and it sure does hurt after all the time,money and effort to make one then someone destroys it.People don't have respect for their self or anyone else for that matter.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Blog Entries
    I love your attitude. Once they leave our hands the person is allowed to use the quilt where it would do the most good.

my fur babies sleep on the quilts my BFF made for me. Of course, the quilts are on the bed-king sized- as I usually end up with all 3 dogs and at least 2 cats-especially in the winter. If I am on the couch with a quilt over my legs/lap I usually have at least one cat and one dog there as well.

We are talking a lab, a kelpi, and a black and tan coon hound-not small babies. The cats are even large. My BFF just shakes her head as her fur babies also sleep on her quilts. The only difference is she has a Yorkie!!

My Step-daughter keep asking for a quilt but she had 2 large dogs and the afgan I made for her went to the dogs. Fabric is far to expensive and the time and effort is invaluable so she won't be getting a quilt unless it is very simple and scrappy even tho she has chosen a pattern and fabric colors.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

What a lovely way to look at it! I made a Scottie quilt, with Scottie dogs appliqued all over it, lots and lots of work, for my friend who had a Scottie. She thought I had made the quilt for her dog. I did not know this until she told me of checking into a hotel with the dog wrapped in "his" quilt and how the check in lady commented on the "dog's" lovely quilt. I thought, well, I might have thought the same thing in similar circumstances. I loved the dog too, so it was okay....lol.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Well said. You area good person. Our animal family members are important and your lovely quilt is being well-used. That is much to be desired and better than stuffed in a closet somewhere because colors aren't right! Well done.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicca View Post
    I made both of my step daughters quilts and they did who knows what with them, but neither of them possess them. I am pretty positive that they ended up being left behind during a move or thrown in the trash. I explained to them both that the quilts were theirs, but also took the time to explain the cost, time and especially the love that went into making them. Am I little upset, yes at first, but then again I did give them to them. What they did with the quilts was their choice. I have also tried to imagine what happens to quilts that I donate. Do the recipients really appreciate the quilt for the remainder of its "life" or does it turn into pets bed or used to lay under the car while the oil is being changed? So, I have learned to just let it go!
    If it was left behind maybe the next person who "found" it will treasure it. I like to think my quilts end up where they are most wanted and needed. Even if it is not where I thought that would be.

Power Poster
    You are being more generous about it than I would be. I have been making family reunion quilts for 20+ years, as every other year we try to get together as a family unit even though we are scattered from coast to coast. I thought these would be considered heirlooms, especially since many have been made in memory of those who have gone before. Imagine my surprise then when I get a Christmas card from my nephew with him lying on the floor with his dog on top of the second quilt I had done and that had been made in memory of my brother who had passed away just a few months before. I now we can't tell people how to use the quilts, but unfortunately many people do not value our quilts the way we do. Don't get me wrong, I have made quilts for babies, for charitable organizations, etc., but I thought my reunion quilts were special since each family contributed fabric towards the quilt. Oh well. I'll get over it eventually.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancyfarm View Post
    Since I know how much people love their dog, I could probably learn to accept that. However..........I made a beautiful baby quilt for someone and they NEVER so much as thanked me for it or even acknowledged it being recieved. I know they got it from a mutual friend. Clearly THEY are off the list!
    This has happened to me 3 different times. When the second baby arrived you can bet there were no quilts.

Forget the hand made gifts, I would scratch them off the gift list and if something is said, well when you can appreciate what you get you might get until then you obviously don't want anything so we send that money ie gift to charity. Let go and don't worry some one out there will enjoy his gifts of quilts.

I love animals. Animals seem to love me, also. People don't always love the same things that I do nor do they value the labor of others to make them a quilt. Every quilt I have made for a family member or friend has always included a note telling them if they do not like the quilt, please make a dog/cat bed out of it so it is used by someone I love. I don't worry about it then. Some of the pets I love more than the owners.

I made my DIL a quilt for Christmas and she loved it for a while... and the cat who sat on her loved it, but then she covered the dog's cage with it and the basset hound destroyed it. I was saddened because that was my first complete quilt for give away and it had antique squares of the fuzzy chanelle (sp) in roses. I know she loved it, but she didn 't take care of it and it only lasted 2 years. Oh well.

Sometimes guys develop an appreciation of quilts once they're married. Just saying, for all of you who have crossed off brothers/male relatives from your quilt list, maybe you'd consider a second chance. Now if they blow that second chance, shame on them.

I hear about this often. Before I give something I have made, I make sure the recepient will appreciate my efforts. Fortunately my family always appreciates my efforts.

Blog Entries
    A couple weeks ago my (oldest) daughter sent me a picture and message
    that read as follows:

"MOM!!! for the love of GOD, PLEASE make Tessie her own fleece blanket.
    I truly would love to have mine back, but every time I get near her to take
    it she growls and shows me her teeth"

The picture was of her dog curled up on the fleece blanket I made for her
    year ago, with teeth showing.

So I need to get some fleece to make Tessie her own blanket.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

What a sweet story.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    that read as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    that read as follows:

I love it...lol...that dogs knows what she wants and she wants that quilt...make your daughter another because it doesn't sound like she is getting that one back!!
    Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    Puppies need quilts too. But if it were me, they wouldn't get another quilt. Just sayin...
    My thought exactly.

I bet I would like the dog better anyway!!

Blog Entries
    Very well said,

I made two denim quilts for the boys next door, and I keep seeing it hanging in the basement in our building. The nice part is that the label is showing, and anyone that is hanging clothes to dry will see the label, and realize that I made it for the boys.

I asked my son not to put a really nice dog bed I made for my grand dog in his kennel.Because when they get real bored or sick they chew or throw up sometimes, and with the great amount of stuffing cleaning would be hard and chewing would be so much fun! I quilted the top and sides, and a whole box of stuffing. None sewers just don't understand the cost and time. The good news is that he listened to me.Put it in the office,and he is on it all the time, because of the hard wood floors.This just made me think,I made this for a dog.And I ask that it be used as a day bed and not kennel. But I did go out and buy the dog a new blanket, for his kennel.

Hugs to you LisaLisa. You have such courage to let it go. I don't think I could do that. I'd be angry and then cry. Kudos Doll.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalisa View Post
    My dear friend's son let it slip recently that they use the quilt I made them in their dog bed.
    Most might hear that and flip a lid. But I've been a member of QB for a while now and I knew it would happen eventually. lol..I've arrived. *bow*

I know where it lands won't matter. But keeping someone warm (be that a stranger or a fur baby) is what truly matters. And in that, I don't even care.

Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Many children are not taught to say thank you and I wonder where common courtesy went and when did it go off the cliff? I send things to my grands w/o a thankyou or acknowledgement. Kids push past you in a store, run into you, run through a store, etc and are not corrected. When I volunteered for Red Cross, a woman's home burned down. She was demanding of everyone instead of being humble and grateful for those who helped her. Hard to beleive.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast