Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: to the dogs..oh well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linynp View Post
    Well in my house / world that's the most highest honor!
    I have to agree with linynp, my dogs have always been my heart....but I would be aware of the quilter's perspective.
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Quilts end up as dog beds for many reasons. We have two to repair that the dog got hold of. Things get torn, chewed, spilled on, etc. I actually hit one with the lawn mower when it was hanging on the line. The wind blew just in time! Yes, sometimes our efforts are not appreciated by the humans who receive them, but sometimes, things happen beyond our control. The Grandkids loved their quilts and were using them when the dog got hold of them. No one's fault, just the nature of the beast.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

I have had a man ask me to make a small quilt for his dog to have. Knowing that I made a simple style. But he did pay me for it. I would hate to think one that I took a lot of time on ws used that way, but even that way it is used and not put away in some closet.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Well for sure the dog would get the next quilt; made extra fluffy and soft for sure. LOL My avatar loves her quilt that my great aunt made for the guest room from years ago. I never had the heart to get rid of it or re-quilt over it, beautiful double wedding ring hand sewn. So when we adopted Her Royal Highness; she adopted the quilt one day when I was going through space bags of blankets and quilts for the guest room. I had pulled it out to refresh it; low and behold she grabbed it, layed down on it and it was hers as far as she was concerned. So now its in the sewing room for her to lay on when I sew. I know my great Aunt would approve as she loved animals especially dogs.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I would be very upset to find a quilt in which I had spent my hard earned money to buy fabric, thread and batting, and then taken 6-9 months of my time to piece and hand quilt, wound up being used as a dog bed. Don't get me wrong. I love dogs and cats, and have no problems if they join their humans while the quilt is being used by the humans. But to toss it down to be used as a dog beg would say to me that the recipient had no appreciation of the gift and no clue as to its value. I can go any day to Walmart and buy one of those cuddly, warm polyester throws that any animal would have to love and spend 30 minutes of my time and about $14. I gotta say, I would write them off for all future gift giving.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I bet I would like the dog better anyway!!
    Exactly my thought!

All my doggies have quilts, just for them. Durable, washable and just for them. These actually protect the furniture. I know they enjoy the quilts more than my 2 DIL's do.

I made a quilt for one DIL, she told me at the baby shower people don't use quilts for babies anymore.
    I made an embroiered wall hanging for another GD. Only when I was visited the house, it was in the back of the closet on the corner.

No more of that.
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

I really don't think the average person realizes how much time and love is put into making a quilt let alone the cost. In a recent conversation with my sister-in-law I mentioned that the material alone for a baby crib quilt that I was making cost me over $100 she said "wow" I had no idea. She thought a handmade quilt that she recently won was about $30.

Blog Entries

awww

Quote Originally Posted by quilting4five View Post
    One of the very first quilts I made I gave to my collie I used it to practice free motion quilting and loved seeing her be cozy with it (she is one of those types of dogs that will walk through the house until she finds some fabric on the floor - a small dishtowel or one of the kids' sweatshirts - and then snuggle on that -- she really loves fabric!). Maybe your friend's dog was equally drawn to the love and comfort of your quilt...
    awww....you are such a warm-hearted gal! your response to this ever-happening irritant simply gives me lots of warm fuzzies!
    Eliminate "can't" from your vocabulary and see what happens.

Maybe this tells you how much he loves his dog. Dogs need nice beds too. Our cats always take the best , warmest
    chair to sleep in.

You know Dogs love colorful quilts. I made my granddog, Oliver "ollie". He l;oves it!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carolyn

I crocheted by brother a beautiful cable knit afghan for his wedding and the dogs got it shortly after.
    Yep -they're off my list

@ Louise: Nope, your DD is not getting that quilt back...puppy says "MINE!"

I like the responses here and can relate on most sides:
    • I've used old quilts that have no meaning to me and are just old and dirty to cover furniture while moving, and pets for vet trips.
    • I've sent quilts that have no meaning to me to GW (because, IMO, someone will use/love it more than I)...for the record, it's not about the person that gave it to me; most of the time I have no idea where said quilts came from.
    • I've used and loved one quilt from a childhood friend that she gave us as a wedding gift...it has been used and used...it's the biggest and warmest...and has just been used and used...and recently got a hole in it. I was sad, but also, as I took it out of the washer, realized that it wasn't out of abuse, but love of the quilt that it had come to such a state.
    • I have friends that would love to have a quilt for their dog...and some of them would actually pay you to make a REALLY NICE one for their pet.
    • I have a cat who laid claim to my chicken quilt while I was photographing it. No, it's not for you, but ok, you can lay there. I bet this is often what happens to quilts that end up "going to the dogs" because the dog CLAIMS it as their own at some point.

I never made a quilt for the dog.. I'm not there yet. I did make a mat for the car, as his behind gets cold. I do notice every once in a while, I'll catch him napping on a quilt I leave on a trunk for show.. I really should stitch something up for his birthday which will be on weds. He will be eight.

I try to remember once I give the gift, it is no longer mine, but it is so difficult. I have a hard time gifting quilts for this reason. I know I made some tie blankets for christmas as a check, and haven't seen them used since.

Make her a big 4 patch quilt! Easy to do, not so hard to watch disappear.

Donated quilts - I've had the same 'wonders', because we just don't know the circumstances or abilities of the recipients. But I consider the quilts to be donations of love that happen to be in quilt form. I don't know anyoner who doesn't need more love, even if they only feel that love for a few minutes. But I do know that some will "feel the love" from them for days, months and years...the rest of their lives. That makes it worthwhile.

Blog Entries
    Good Grief! I can sort of understand an old worn out quilt ending up there, but a new quilt! REALLY! I have only made one quilt to give away and it was greatly appreciated. A friend of mine got breast cancer and I wanted to make something personal to cheer her up. I used bright colors and put bright yellow fleece on the back. She still tells me how cuddly and wonderful it is and how her friends all complement it. I am planning on doing a quilt Xmas next year and after reading all of this will be careful who is on the list. I have made many a dog bed and stuffed it with foam or left over batting etc. but a quilt for a doggie always came out of my scrap pile, not my new fabric stash.

I just received a picture of the dog sleeping on the Christmas quilt I gave my daughter. The dog did look happy.

Blog Entries
    hmmm, i like a lot more dogs than people, so i'm not sure i'd mind that much. our dogs sleep on the bed or the furniture and therefore on whatever is on the bed or the furniture. certainly no disrespect is intended.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    I made a memory quilt for a dog. My friend's mom past, and she asked me to make the whole family memory quilts from her clothing. That little dog, tinker, adored it, and took it everywhere she went.

I also wanted to say, I am and Ebay buyer. I look for charity quilts, new or used and I buy them. I somehow feel it is helping two people that way, the owner who posted the quilt and the maker. Because my kids know the importance of my quilts and they are well loved, I know that they will stay in my family long after I am gone.
    Resolve to be thyself, and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. Mathew Arnold 'Self-Dependence' 1822-1888

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4